• ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Oh.......how could I forget.

You need a Flymo!

[video=youtube;SVXX_UyXmSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVXX_UyXmSg[/video]

A man down the street where I grew up had a fly- mo.... He would push it and watch it float across his yard.

I also have a 20 yr old Lawn boy, mine is a commercial self propelled model with a rear discharge and a one gallon fuel tank mounted behind the engine.

If I were to buy a new mower I would look at a honda built mower. If I am paying for a Honda I want Honda to design the whole mower not just the engine.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Lawn Boy sold out a few years ago. They were never what they were before they went 4 stroke. Emissions regulations did away with their old 2 Stroke designs. They are now owned by Home Depot I believe and much harder to get parts for. They are like the Troy Bilt of the Husqvarna line now..or vice versa...whatever. They are the high end model of some lesser brand.

I just bougth a used 4 stroke Lawnboy that dates to around 05. Nice thing is you can buy parts for them anywhere online. Newer ones not so much.

I like the Toro brand if I was going to spend that much. Go to a small mom and pop dealer and see what they have to offer. In Columbus we have Eudy's sales and service who sell Toro I believe. They look nicely built. The higher end ones have aluminum decks and Honda motors.

The Higher end Briggs motors work well.

Be warned, all new stuff, if that muffler looks rather large for such a small engine...is because in 2010 they had to start putting catalysts in push mowers. Not sure how they are holding up... I assume OK.

I won't touch another Craftsman. I bought 2. First one was OK, motor burnt up on my(sprung an oil leak, overheated it, I screwed it up). 2nd one I bought had the good briggs motor on it...but deck was tinfoil crap. I swapped the new motor on to the old deck within a year and still use it today. The newer craftsmans have chinese engines on them that Sears has developed with a Chinese manufacturer. High end Harbor Freight motors probably... The lawn boy I just bought is bulit very well, but needs some more TLC. Haven't quite got it dialed in yet.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I mow about 9 yards as a side job. I bought mine from Lowe's about 6 yrs ago. A Troybilt with a Honda motor. I will only buy a Honda motor if at all possible. You didn't mention what terrain you'll be will be on. If you are on any slope at all I recommend getting a big back wheel mower. It's amazing how much more control it gives you. Of course get the self propelled. You should easily stay in your budget.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    How big is your yard? I mow my business property (about 1/2 acre I think) with a battery push mower and have been very pleasantly surprised. It's quiet, it's super-cheap to run, and no worry about engine repairs. The battery lasts a full hour unless the grass is too tall. It's a year old now,and I may invest $50 in a second battery so I can use it for over an hour on the days the grass gets too tall.

If the grass is shorter/normal, I can mow in about 45 min with 1 battery charge.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It is a pretty small flat yard. Its a double and I'm only responsible for 1/2 the yard, but I usually mow the whole thing unless the current neighbor is an ass. Probably a 1/8 acre lot.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Lawnboy is now owned by Toro; the mowers are identical, some with green paint, some with red paint. I have a ~2004 model made by toro and I'm happy with it. I handles hills well etc.

It's a Mulch/Bag/Side-discharge combo... I only use the side discharge because the mulch doesn't work so well when rains etc make it hard to mow the grass when it needs mowed and it ends up getting too high.

Starts 1 pull most of the time, occasionally takes 2 pulls, and the only time it ever takes more than that is if it has sat all winter, then it will take 5 or 6 pulls.

If you don't want the Lawn-Boy/Toro mower then IMHO get a Honda. There is something to be said about Honda quality. For the most part they are one of the companies that refuses to sacrifice quality to compete with the cheap mowers. Buy once, cry once, pony up the big bucks and get a mower that will last decades...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am pretty happy with the self propelled Toro with a Kolar engine I bought June of 2012. Strarts easy, nothing ever broke. Every year I change the oil and sharpen the blade. While the blade was off this year, I changed the belt for the self propelled unit. I would have probably been fine but I didn't want to work on it later in the season.

We have a honda in the family and is a pretty good machine, but has too many "features". The engine never fails but the other junk does, raising the price of ownership. Everytime we order a honda part it is 1/2 the price of a cheap mower.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It is a pretty small flat yard. Its a double and I'm only responsible for 1/2 the yard, but I usually mow the whole thing unless the current neighbor is an ass. Probably a 1/8 acre lot.

In that case, I'd definitely go for the battery mower. I previously had an image of them as being useless, but they aren't the battery mowers of 10 years ago. They certainly aren't AS powerful as a gasoline engine, but it's nice not to worry about gasoline, engine starting, etc. I bought mine from Costco so I could return it easily if needed. But I'm keeping it.

This is the one I have: Amazon.com : WORX WG787 17-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with IntelliCut : Walk Behind Lawn Mowers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

It's not cool, awesome, or manly but it's quiet and it works.

Top Bottom