• ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Ok, here's the deal:

My son graduates HS school this June, and he's off to basic training...
    He has signed with the National Guard and I am very proud of him for doing that. This past weekend he received his uniform, and Wow! Talk about someone feeling some pride! He looked good and was proud to wear that American Flag!! :D

He is slated to return from basic and schooling in November. The unit he is attached to is slated to go to Afganistan Jan 2012.

I would like to get him an all-around knife that will do its job when he's out on deployment. Need some suggestions....

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well honestly it will be part of his graduation present. I want something reliable, however I'll be honest, times are tough...
    I dont want to go cheap...but at the same time nothing overboard...
    So lets meet in the middle...
    A good all purpose blade that a soldier can trust!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    ESEE 5 for a fixed-blade and a SOG Trident, Spyderco Native or Delica 4, for the folder.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    ESEE 5 for a fixed-blade and a SOG Trident, Spyderco Native or Delica 4, for the folder.

Interesting enough those are the 2 knives that are always with me. SOG in the pocket and ESEE 5 on the pack and no I'm not serving in the military just the knives I trust to perform for me.

$165.00 ish for the ESEE 5
    $65.00 ish for the SOG

Your results of shopping may be slightly different but that will put you in the ballpark.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    as far as folders I would just give him the money for a benchmade auto from the PX, good knife and he will think it's way cooler than any folder you would buy him sans an uber expensive brand.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    as far as folders I would just give him the money for a benchmade auto from the PX, good knife and he will think it's way cooler than any folder you would buy him sans an uber expensive brand.

With great respect, Jedi Master, I must disagree. To get a knife as a gift will be cherished much more that getting the money for one. Besides, they kid will have enough money to buy knives if he wants more.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    With great respect, Jedi Master, I must disagree. To get a knife as a gift will be cherished much more that getting the money for one. Besides, they kid will have enough money to buy knives if he wants more.

if it's some sort of special knife that's been handed down or that he had engraved with something I can see it, otherwise not. which brings up a good idea. get him a knife and have a personal message engraved on it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well....
    I honestly dont think he knows whats coming...Its been all about the ladies, and wardrobe...

I think he will appreciate something more if I give it to him. Like I said, I am very proud of him, he is doing something for his country, he just doesnt realize what it is yet...

being overseas isnt easy...Ive done my time, and yes times are a bit harder now. As long as he can rely on his blade its a start. Cant function in my book without a good blade.

Rat(Esee) knives are good to go in my book. The folder is a toss up!
    There are alot of great knives out on the market...
    What to choose...

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

The auto would be very cool, but I can tell you that the environment that he will be in raises the possibility of the an auto not firing due to the sand and other crap that it will be exposed to. I can tell you this, over the last few years, military guys and gals going back on their 2nd tour have been asking me for manual opening knives because of this. A decent fixed blade would solve this problem or a manual opening folder. :twocents:

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Scrap Yard and/or Swamp Rat probably have something that fits your budget.

Actually, Busse is offering the Boss Jack right now, standard runs $267.00

And Swamp Rat's current offering is the RatManDeux LE, and runs $199ish.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You cant go wrong with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, great quality and cheap price for an utility knife.
    Then maybe a larger fixed blade for heavy duty work.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    As far as folders are concerned, I would recommend the following:

Zero Tolerance: 0300/0301/0302
    Spyderco: Military/Paramilitary/Endura
    Benchmade: Griptilian

Top Bottom