• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Army will give him the tools of the trade, why not give him a knife that can be used daily for run of the mill cutting chores and let the military issue him the weapons. I think a bone handled Case engraved with his name and unit would mean more to him than some tactical knife. It would be a knife he could passed down and could easily become a family heirloom.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The Army will give him the tools of the trade, why not give him a knife that can be used daily for run of the mill cutting chores and let the military issue him the weapons. I think a bone handled Case engraved with his name and unit would mean more to him than some tactical knife. It would be a knife he could passed down and could easily become a family heirloom.

You have a point. Many of us know he will get the tactical stuff for himself at some point, but when will he ever consider getting a Case folder for himself? It's something he may use for a while and then put away, but 3-5 years later, he will learn to appreciate the quality of the knife and the thought put into getting it for him.

Yeah, if possible get a nice ESEE 5 and a Case folder.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    This knife with his name and date he entered the service and branch of service laser engraved on the back scale would be definite heirloom material....

Case knives Case XX Knife Item # 9237 - Trapper - Freedom Series

Here is a Case I had laser engraved for my Dad...the smooth bone engraves very nicely...

glv2.jpg

squish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    South Bend area
    their a bit pricey......benchmade is all i carry.....i'm kind of a snob like that.....there are other knives that are just as good, but what really sold me was their customer service.......unmatched as far as i'm concerned...

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Some great and awesome ideas. The engraved knife is something I may think of doing in the future, I just dont think he is ready for something like that. He wont understand the importance, and at 18yrs old, well he still in my opinion is a bit immature.

The Esee will probably be my blade of choice for the fixed.
    Knife Lady, Thank you!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    their a bit pricey......benchmade is all i carry.....i'm kind of a snob like that.....there are other knives that are just as good, but what really sold me was their customer service.......unmatched as far as i'm concerned...

that and butter knife sharpness from the factory,:D(btw I carry a griptilian)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    just info, the army rarely gives you anything in the cutlery department that is worth while. if you have a squared away supply sgt, you will get leathermans over gerbers and you may get a gerber folder. unless your spec ops type then you can get pretty much anything. just a heads up on that cause the info posted above about the army supplying stuff is bogus lol.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    From what I have been told the military of any branch by especially the Army does not issue a knife anymore and has not for years. I might be wrong jus saying what I ahve been told by many soldiers. That is why they have bought off of Brad and myself.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Some great and awesome ideas. The engraved knife is something I may think of doing in the future, I just dont think he is ready for something like that. He wont understand the importance, and at 18yrs old, well he still in my opinion is a bit immature.

The Esee will probably be my blade of choice for the fixed.
    Knife Lady, Thank you!

When I graduated High School, my grandad gave me a really exotic Case XX. Although I appreciated it, it still is sitting in the box in my desk drawer. I would have much prefered something more practical / tactical. My guess is he would get more good out of something he would deem cool, such as an ESEE, Griptillian, Emerson, etc....
    PS- I wouldn't count on the Army giving him a decent knife. Many guys that work @ my department are active duty military, and only 1 (marine) says he was issued a knife, and it was a Ka-Bar :n00b:.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    AFAIK unless he has a MOS SPECIFIC use for a knife, he won't get issued one. if he does, as above, it will be a hunk of crap/ not withstanding the cool guy units and the like.

as to what you should get him.... something of quality.

Top Bottom