• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockyk69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hello everyone, thanks for letting me be part of the community.

I am 42 years old. Grew up in rural Indiana and Arkansas. Been shooting rifles and shotguns since I can remember. However, while I have fired handguns, I am not well versed on them.

I now live in Noblesville. Love the city, but the crime seems to be getting really close.

I want to get a handgun, for the house. I want something with stopping power, but I cannot afford anymore than $300 - $350. I prefer for this gun to be a semi-automatic.

I have found guns in this range, but do not recognize the brands. I want something reliable that I can afford.

I would really appreciate any feedback,

Johnny

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Welcome to INGO!

With a low budget you can also look at used guns, you can find good deals for that price.
    As far as stopping power im affraid it's just a myth, shot placement is the most important in my opinion, so almost any caliber will do.
    If you want a semi auto handgun a 9mm can be a good option.

Is it something you plan to carry or is it just for home protection?
    In that case the size and weight will be important.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    You can find the Kel-Tec P11 or PF9 in the $250 range. I've had a P11 and thought it was a fine firearm for that price range. You *might* be able to find a used Glock in the $350 range.

Whatever you get, practice with the firearm and learn to operate it well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can find the Kel-Tec P11 or PF9 in the $250 range. I've had a P11 and thought it was a fine firearm for that price range. You *might* be able to find a used Glock in the $350 range.

Whatever you get, practice with the firearm and learn to operate it well.

The Kel Tecs are great little carry guns, for home defense you may want to get something larger though.
    Depends if you will carry the gun or not.

The Smith and Wesson Sigma is also a cheap option.

Rockyk69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    Kel-tec was one of the ones I found in my range, but didn't recognize the brand. It's good to hear someone comment on the quality. Thank you.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I would look into the used market in that price range. You should be able to find a very reliable manufacturer for that price. I say this to avoid "going cheap" on a new gun and end up having feeding/firing issues.

Any of the big names such as Glock, Springfield, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Ect. Should all perform to your needs and not break the bank. They have all made a name for them selves over the years with their duty pistols. As Sylvain said, if you plan on carrying this weapon at any time you will want to take size and weight into consideration more than if it is just going to be a house gun.

Best advice is read read read. There are tons of personal reviews and professional reviews of all of them out there on the internet. Also find you a local shop with a friendly staff and make some new friends. Go in and fondle their guns...oh wait that didn't come out right.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :ingo:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Welcome to the forum from a neighbor to your South. Keep in mind that your budget may be $300-$350 but you will need ammo to practice and for defense once you get proficient with your weapon of choice. Don't overlook the used market for sure. Lots of good choices out there. If you find something that seems to fit, don't be agraid to ask for opnions here. You may even find someone that will be willing to meet you at a range and do some hands on testing. Proper etiquette says you supply the ammo and I'm sure someone will step up.

The other thing to strongly consider is some good quality training. There are several who are site supporters here that offer fine programs. Indy Gun Safety http://www.thecauze.com/ is most likely the closest to you but also check out Adaptive Consulting & Training as well as several others here. Good luck!!

Rockyk69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    Great advice everyone, when I google "used guns" there seems to be so much out there. Is there one site that has a better reputation than others?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Great advice everyone, when I google "used guns" there seems to be so much out there. Is there one site that has a better reputation than others?

INGO! :D

You will need 50 posts OR to be a site supporter before you can buy from fellow INGO menbers though. :)

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh

When your post count hits 50 the classifieds on INGO are really going to provide a safe and highly reputable source for a used handgun that has probably been babied from day one.

Also you mentioned hailing from Rural Indiana, may I ask where?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If you insist on a semi, I would look for an older S&W 5900 series handgun. Built like a tank and very dependable. Also, I wouldn't overlook a revolver. I have seen several ads for .38 Taurus revolvers with 4" barrels for $150-160. One of them and $150 in ammo for practice and your good to go.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I went to AIM Surplus and looked to see what they had currently. Inventory varies there. Thanks a lot - now I'm considering getting one of these!!! And I don't NEED it.

Swiss SIG-Sauer P225 9mm Pistol

Downside is you need to find an FFL to receive it for you, and they will charge a little bit. So it's going to be right at your max budget. But I think this is a nice handgun for the price. I had a like new P225 once and sold it, and have been sorry ever since.

Another downside is that it is a single stack magazine, so is limited to 8 round mags. I don't think this should be a reason to negate this option though. Just stating fact.

Last edited:

Rockyk69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    When your post count hits 50 the classifieds on INGO are really going to provide a safe and highly reputable source for a used handgun that has probably been babied from day one.

Also you mentioned hailing from Rural Indiana, may I ask where?
    I grew up in Thorntown, I appreciate the advice. I have lots of questions. We will see how fast I get to 50 ;)

Rockyk69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    Why not a shotgun? I need something lightweight. I have spent all of 2011 trying to get a diagnosis for my peripheral neuropathy and muscle atrophy. I would love nothing more than to bring the big guy to a fight, but stress tends to make my symptoms more pronounced. Make sense? I need something lighter that I can practice with, take courses for, and be prepared...even if it is a rough day for me physically.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom