• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Thanks guys......I have learned a lot from you guys. I may just suck it up and pay a little more than I was going to. Sounds like I will see a real difference in performance compared to what I use now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks guys......I have learned a lot from you guys. I may just suck it up and pay a little more than I was going to. Sounds like I will see a real difference in performance compared to what I use now.

As in many things you do get what you pay for. My original budget got stretched for this new Windows 10 machine but it seems to have been barely if ever really used. I like it.

Well once I learn how to navigate the darn operating program.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Im not sure the generation of processor really matters that much, I doubt the processor will end up being your bottleneck in a new computer. That said if you're going to go by processor I believe AMD offers a better value in that department.

Heres your processor comparison chart if CPU power is what you're after.
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    It's far more than simply the CPU. The entire architecture of the systems is also improved with each generation. There is no comparison across 5+ generations. One or two is incremental.

Not a huge fan of Dell's Inspiron lineup but you certainly want the SSD. The 5676 gives you this. Both have dedicated GPU options so they will likely do even more than just two displays.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I like my iMac. I have had 3 or so over the years along with some other Macs.
    My laptop though is an HP running Slackware.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    As in many things you do get what you pay for. My original budget got stretched for this new Windows 10 machine but it seems to have been barely if ever really used. I like it.

Well once I learn how to navigate the darn operating program.
    You can pull it off Grandpa. If not, ask the twins.;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You are two or three weeks from the best hardware prices of this year. Trend as of the last few years is continual sales through the beginning of next year.

Picked a good time, if you can afford to wait and watch prices, shipping, etc.

Maybe the digital wizards of INGO can help you keep track of sales and guide you as what is most suitable for you?

Incidentally, since this is a gun forum, I'll add my :twocents:.
    Unless Apple changes leadership and company philosophy, they will NEVER EVER see a dime of this Hoosier gun owner's money. :soapbox:

Last edited:

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    In this age of information, I'm surprised there were not more suggestions of building your own. Did just that this past spring after research on Youtube and online articles guiding me thru component selection and am pleased with that decision. If I can do it, you most likely can too.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In this age of information, I'm surprised there were not more suggestions of building your own. Did just that this past spring after research on Youtube and online articles guiding me thru component selection and am pleased with that decision. If I can do it, you most likely can too.
    If your not building something specialized, your not going to be saving much by building any more. That said it is still fun to do if you like building things.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

It is worth it just as a fun challenge if you've not built one before. Lots of sites that make it real easy today. Really not as hard as it might sound either, just some possibly frustrating troubleshooting if it doesn't boot on your first try.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    You are two or three weeks from the best hardware prices of this year. Trend as of the last few years is continual sales through the beginning of next year.

Picked a good time, if you can afford to wait and watch prices, shipping, etc.

Maybe the digital wizards of INGO can help you keep track of sales and guide you as what is most suitable for you?

Incidentally, since this is a gun forum, I'll add my :twocents:.
    Unless Apple changes leadership and company philosophy, they will NEVER EVER see a dime of this Hoosier gun owner's money. :soapbox:

That would be great since I am in no hurry, figure I will at least wait until I see the Dell black friday deals. I am with you on Apple....screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. They will never get that chance with me...I refuse to buy anything Apple.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    If your not building something specialized, your not going to be saving much by building any more. That said it is still fun to do if you like building things.

It is worth it just as a fun challenge if you've not built one before. Lots of sites that make it real easy today. Really not as hard as it might sound either, just some possibly frustrating troubleshooting if it doesn't boot on your first try.

I wish I knew how to do that stuff, but I swear I am totally computer dumb and really have no desire to try to learn it. I would rather pay someone who knows what they are doing...it will be worth the extra to save the frustration and aggravation I think. I will struggle for days just switching stuff from old pc to the new one....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    That would be great since I am in no hurry, figure I will at least wait until I see the Dell black friday deals. I am with you on Apple....screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me. They will never get that chance with me...I refuse to buy anything Apple.
    I would be interested to hear your story about how Apple screwed you.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I have built many PC's in the past. Simple to do. If you can take down a gun and put it together, you'd have no problem building a PC. The hardest part is knowing what you want, then it is just a plug everything together and you're good to go. Probably the hardest is putting the thermal compound on the CPU.

Most likely you would not save money. The benefit is getting exactly what you want and joy of knowing you did it.

Top Bottom