• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just wanted to thank you guys again. I was able to get the card, installed it and got everything working with the help of my buddy. Didn't take long at all. I still need to get it all set up, but am glad I asked you guys for advice. I had no idea how much difference there is in different parts of the computer, like processor and ssd. I really appreciate you guys helping me out.
    Good to hear. Now you can be a better educated consumer though I don't think you'll have to go computer shopping for a while now.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think you made some very good choices and got a very good machine. I hope it serves you well for a long time!

Good to hear. Now you can be a better educated consumer though I don't think you'll have to go computer shopping for a while now.

Man, I finally got everything hooked up today. I am blown away! To start with I checked my speed before switching units....the old unit was 203 Mbs, this one is almost 250 Mbs which is my max with the Xfinity package I have. Now on to booting up, it takes like 2-3 seconds from powering on to logging in to Think or Swim. I can go from power off to up and running everything in like 15-20 seconds.....that use to take 2-3 minutes, minimum. Unreal how quick web pages open. I am already making plans to add monitors.....just need to figure out how I am gonna fit them on my desk. Thought about getting a big screen monitor and mounting on my wall....wonder if that can be done?

Thanks again guys! I couldn't be happier.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am already making plans to add monitors.....just need to figure out how I am gonna fit them on my desk. Thought about getting a big screen monitor and mounting on my wall....wonder if that can be done?

Thanks again guys! I couldn't be happier.
    Yes, you can use just about any LCD TV as a monitor. I wouldn't do OLED as they will retain static images over time.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, you can use just about any LCD TV as a monitor. I wouldn't do OLED as they will retain static images over time.

Good point but I would recommend a very high resolution TV if you go this route. Standard TV resolutions are not great. I tried using a big 1080P TV and it was terrible. The pixels are way to big on such a TV so the text was not smooth at all. Kind of like looking a something printed on a dot matrix printer with a magnifying glass. I think a 4K TV would work if you stick with the smaller screen sizes so the pixels don't get big enough to be noticeable.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good point but I would recommend a very high resolution TV if you go this route. Standard TV resolutions are not great. I tried using a big 1080P TV and it was terrible. The pixels are way to big on such a TV so the text was not smooth at all. Kind of like looking a something printed on a dot matrix printer with a magnifying glass. I think a 4K TV would work if you stick with the smaller screen sizes so the pixels don't get big enough to be noticeable.
    Agreed, certainly since the OP mentioned being annoyed by seeing the pixels on his current monitor. Something like 4k in the 40" range might work. When I do this I'm usually sitting on my couch so I appreciate the larger text of a 1080 display.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Yes, distance is probably the major factor for pixel size requirements.

For a monitor on a desk I am fine with pixels about 10 thousandths inches or less (about 1/4 mm) but for a TV about 10-12 feet away they can be up to 30 thousandths inches (about 3/4 mm) and look fine.
    The TV I tried was a 42 inch 1080P TV on my desk. The pixels were 19 thousandths and I was too close - very bad looking.

The OP's current monitor has pixels that are 10.9 thousandths so he could probably use a little smaller ones.

Some examples... These are all for 16:9 aspect ratios. The numbers would be different for the wider 21:9 monitors.
    24 inch 1920 x 1080 has 10.9 thousandths inches pixels (OP current)
    27 inch 1920 x 1080 has 12.2
    24 inch 2560 x 1440 has 8.2
    27 inch 2560 x 1440 has 9.2
    30 inch 2560 x 1440 has 10.2
    24 inch 3840 x 2160 has 5.4
    27 inch 3840 x 2160 has 6.1
    30 inch 3840 x 2160 has 6.8
    40 inch 3840 x 2160 has 9.1

The pixels are really tiny on some of the phone displays.

Top Bottom