• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Tell your neighbors to be careful, your dog was killed by a coyote, based on large canine bite/s on it's belly area.

If it was their dog, & they know it can be aggressive, they'll figure it out, if it was a coyote, might save them the same loss.

Very sorry for your loss OP.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If your dog was covered in blood, yet the other dogs were not agitated, clean of any blood, and were not present where the injured dog was, I'd also lean toward the coyote theory. It makes a lot more sense than formerly friendly dogs suddenly attacking a former "playmate", immediately wandering off, and acting as you describe them immediately afterward.

I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Country living can be rough for smaller pets. I lost my last beagle to snake bite.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If your dog was covered in blood, yet the other dogs were not agitated, clean of any blood, and were not present where the injured dog was, I'd also lean toward the coyote theory. It makes a lot more sense than formerly friendly dogs suddenly attacking a former "playmate", immediately wandering off, and acting as you describe them immediately afterward.

I'm also sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. Country living can be rough for smaller pets. I lost my last beagle to snake bite.

I disagree with the assessments here that this does not appear like a dog attack.

Large dogs will sometimes grab and toss a small dog (or cat) as prey/play activity. It's also not uncommon to suddenly bear down and bite hard on the chest, abdomen, etc, leaving puncture wounds that won't get much blood on the mouth of a large dog.

It's also reality that these dogs were right there. And I've never seen my dogs relax act nonchalant after the coyotes have went by (or another dog screaming).

There's no way of knowing, but there is no more reason to think "coyote" than other dog.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Perhaps some clarification is in order:

Yes, I saw that. Point being, it would be just as odd for those dogs to stand still and not react to a nearby dog screaming as to have left after they had an encounter with the dog. It would also be even more unusual for a dog to not get upset about a coyote passing near its home.

I've seen quite a few dog attacks, and this one isn't unusual. Coyote wounds of course look similar to dog bites, so the emergency vet wouldn't know either. If it was a raccoon or something, that's more obvious.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Sorry to hear about your dog!

I agree, the vet would clearly know if it was a large dog or a coyote.

A coyote came after my dog once, he got a .223 through the back of the head...

Gator don't take no ****!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I remember a family friends dog getting taken by I think an eagle when I was a kid. Little terrier type dog. She saw it happen.
    my GS dog use to "play" with squirels and she's always have blood on her face. I still think possible coyote.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I am so sorry.
    Being as you were there and heard it would have pissed me off even more. I hate losing animals more than losing some people I know.
    I do find it strange that the neighbor's dog was calm IF it was a coyote. If the dogs attacked, you never know how they are going to act after. From that guilty look to a "nothing happened" look. But to be that calm after hunting coyotes are around, all dogs seem to act the same for that one. Alert, barking, running or all three.

Don't rule anything out just yet.
    Wait, did you say "The Cornfield"? :nailbite:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you found him in the field are you sure those dogs were the aggressors. It seems they would have him in check right there.
    Could he have been snatched by a Coyote that was ran off (which seems unlikely but) or another stray animal.

I would never let a small dog out into the woods these days. To many things out there that will eat them.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    a coyote would have packed that little dog off, never to be found, educated yotes and dogs normally go for the neck of small prey.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your dog!

I agree, the vet would clearly know if it was a large dog or a coyote.

A coyote came after my dog once, he got a .223 through the back of the head...

Gator don't take no ****!

How would the vet know? This is certainly outside my area of expertise so genuinely curious as to how you'd make the determination.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    How would the vet know? This is certainly outside my area of expertise so genuinely curious as to how you'd make the determination.

I'm reading this as the vet would be able to determine if it were a large 'yote or dog vs a raccoon, skunk, etc. 'Yotes are canines so one of similar size would leave similar damages as a dog.

Sorry to hear about the loss of the little furball but even if it were the neighbors dog it could have been an accident. My two labs are sometimes playing so viciously that you'd swear they were fighting. We've even commented when one snapped at the other and missed how violently their mouth slammed shut. Given the separation between the players I'd tend to pull back from the neighbors dogs though.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

Simple forensic evidence. Puncture wounds look different based on the dentition of what type of animal bit them. It's also common for certain animals to "shred" whereas others leave deep bites. Dogs and coyotes having similar patterns, you can't say for sure. (you can make a better guess when they attack livestock as coyotes usually go for the throat whereas domestic dogs are often chasing/herding/biting at legs etc)

I would agree that a coyote would typically take the small dog off to make a meal of it, but they certainly do get scared off sometimes and drop their prey.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Sorry for your loss ..the unknown facts is what is hard to have closure and the issue with the neighbors hopefully will be easily solved.
    Losing a pet is hard enough. Sorry. Prayers sent.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    So here's the summary of the situation. My wife and I had a very ambitious little 8 lb papillion (Rufus) who loves running off to the neighbor's when he sees their dogs (one small dog, and one very large Shepard mix) roaming around. They are usually very friendly and appear happy to see Rufus. Last night little Rufus went running off towards their direction (I always have to chase after him, keep in mind we live a woods). This time I heard a dreadful scream, and when I reached the neighbors I couldn't find Rufus. The neighbor's dogs were standing around acting like nothing happened. After further searching I found Rufus in the adjacent corn field covered in blood and wreaking of bile. He was still alert, but I knew immediately the situation was dire. The rest of the night was spent at the emergency clinic, where Rufus was put to sleep after determining the internal damage was too severe for a medical miracle. The doctor determined the damage was due to a large dog bite that crushed his abdomen. It was evident that Rufus was laying on his back when he was attacked. This event has been very traumatic for my wife and I.

This is obviously a delicate situation as I have not approached my neighbor yet. We have a baby on the way and I am concerned of said dog, who is allowed to roam freely around the woods. I am not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?

No doubt......:(
    Sorry for yer loss......I'm in the 'stiks' as well.....and got small 1's here....Yorkies.....I HATE......let'n 'em out after dark......I watch'em like a hawk....

don't be too quik on'a neighbor
    the big'r dog(s) MAY......have scared a 'yote off yer lil' guy.....and kept it from carry'n him off......
    condolences fer ya'll......it'd be like lose'n a child, fer me ...... :^/

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    Just to clarify a few things: Rufus was in the garage with myself when the neighbor's dog was spotted crossing through our yard. He immediately bolted in his direction. I do not allow my dogs to roam. Yes, I admit negligence in not tethering my dog. No chance it was a sneak attack from an invisible ninja coyote. Both my wife and my mother-in-law have reported aggressive behavior from the neighbor's dog when pulling into or out of our drive, the dog would apparently "attack" the car (these incidents had only occurred within the last couple weeks). Said "adjacent cornfield" was just outside the wooded property line of my neighbor's property. It was evident Rufus was carried by the abdomen from my neighbors yard and dropped just on the other side of the property.

This is lengthy, I know. But, I will conclude in saying that I do NOT blame nor condemn my neighbors. They are an honorable family whom also love and adore their pets. I know the news will be devastating to them. However, they need to be informed that their dog has tasted blood and has shown aggression outside of said dog's territory.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Ok so we know the neighbors dog did this, now we move on to how to stop this from happening once you have a child.

Swift action must be taken, whatever that means...

Top Bottom