• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This was the first of a few loads I brought home a few years back. That horrible Walmart was blowing them out on sale for 79 to $99.00 bucks a piece. Most were bought just for the actions.
    We are a 700 family.
    Every since you posted about this I have been checking every China-Mart I go in for any marked down firearms. So far no luck.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Every since you posted about this I have been checking every China-Mart I go in for any marked down firearms. So far no luck.
    I ended up with over 30 Savage Axis 2's and 700 adl's. I would like to walk into that again myself.
    It made family Birthday and Christmas presents easy for a few years.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Typically I don’t click links, this one I did. I made it to 6.5 needmore and checked out.

Went to my LGS last week, on the rack was a broom stick next to an old tennis shoe, and you got it, both were chambered in 6.5 needmore.

That’s all it took for me.

If all you have is the flavor of the month, I’ll keep my money.

Do people like you hate EVERY new cartridge introduced after the .308 or something? These kinds of posts always crack me up. If the 6.5CM is the “flavor of the month,” then it’s been the longest damn month (2007 to 2023, or 192 non-Creedmoor-hater months) the world has ever seen lol.

Get over it, the Creedmoor is here to stay. And this coming from a guy who doesn’t own one, will never be without a .308, and adores the original 6.5, the Swede. :lmfao:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Do people like you hate EVERY new cartridge introduced after the .308 or something? These kinds of posts always crack me up. If the 6.5CM is the “flavor of the month,” then it’s been the longest damn month (2007 to 2023, or 192 non-Creedmoor-hater months) the world has ever seen lol.

Get over it, the Creedmoor is here to stay. And this coming from a guy who doesn’t own one, will never be without a .308, and adores the original 6.5, the Swede. :lmfao:
    No! Quite the opposit actually. I’m a great fan of hobby innovation. In my opinion hobby innovation is a prime driver in U.S. history. Hobbyist have been some of our greatest innovators. Firearms caliber, lots of wildcats are now standard. Radio, recent developments in drones. Scuba, I could go on but won’t.

By the by, I remember .308 as a wildcat. Or at least to my young mind.

l could/should have used more purple, my bad.

I was making a joke (in my mind only) about all the firearms companies jumping on the needmore wagon. Didn’t mean to get your dander up, my sincere apologies.

And history will tell the true story of the needmore, not the WWW.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    No! Quite the opposit actually. I’m a great fan of hobby innovation. In my opinion hobby innovation is a prime driver in U.S. history. Hobbyist have been some of our greatest innovators. Firearms caliber, lots of wildcats are now standard. Radio, recent developments in drones. Scuba, I could go on but won’t.

By the by, I remember .308 as a wildcat. Or at least to my young mind.

l could/should have used more purple, my bad.

I was making a joke (in my mind only) about all the firearms companies jumping on the needmore wagon. Didn’t mean to get your dander up, my sincere apologies.

And history will tell the true story of the needmore, not the WWW.

No need to apologize. You might have needed more purple, and maybe I needed more smilies lol. But posts like that attacking the Creed DO make me chuckle. Over on the 24HourCampfire forums some people get real worked up about the CM being a fad or whatever and I just think it’s hilarious that it’s still viewed as such by some people. The 6.5mm caliber is in near perfect balance regarding all the important details, and the CM is just a modern, true short action update of the Swede. I don’t see it fading away into the history books any time soon! ;)

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Free float and bedding , plus handloads.......usually made a 700 shine.
    Positive responses to minor tweaks IMHO (hobbyist- no gunsmith needed).
    Some rifles did well w no mods.

Had three 700s from mid/late 70s, couple from the 90s and current one is post 2000.

Did have a problem, groups opened up on an ADL synth. Cheap plastic trigger guard cracked.
    Got a steel one and problem solved.
    I had a 700 PSS in .308 back in the early 2000s. It would group minute of angle with my hot handloads at 1,000 yds on a calm, warm day. A divorce was the single reason I sold that rig. Wouldn't mind having that one back.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I had a 700 PSS in .308 back in the early 2000s. It would group minute of angle with my hot handloads at 1,000 yds on a calm, warm day. A divorce was the single reason I sold that rig. Wouldn't mind having that one back.
    Derailing the topic. Only some of these are still in my possession because of difficult times in the past.
    Collection.jpg

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

Same here. I never got mine out that far back then (too young to afford to shoot it often lol), but I had it out to 500 a few times and it was a laser. I also sold mine during previous hard times. I kind of miss it, but I’ve had other fine rifles since. A well-built 700 makes a fine rifle, they’re just not so hot right off the assembly line.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Piling on with Basher, 6.5 CM nicely optimizes a lot of trade-offs including .308 magazine compatibility and ability to function in some semi-autos like the (excellent but grossly overpriced) LMT MWS with just a barrel swap.

It has a solid foothold now and I expect it is going to be around a long time with US military adoption as a sniper rifle caliber, and use in shorter rifles as the SOCOM MRGG-A (Mid-Range Gas Gun).

Original topic, I have one lightweight and one heavy barrel 700 .308 that I will hold onto. Even before Remington was bought out and then run into bankruptcy, I was done with them as soon as a friend ordered a Model 700 and it unexpectedly arrived sporting some idiot key lock device built into the back of the bolt.

For anyone that doesn't know, the current Remington is a new company that bought the name and product rights out of the above bankruptcy, where Ruger did the same in acquiring the previously co-owned Marlin brand.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I run a few old PSS's myself. Im trying a Vortex on the 223 for the first time.
    The Rock River has the Leupold that came off the 223.
    The jurys still out if the Votex works for me.
    A 223, 308 and a 300 WM.
    20230512_144436.jpg

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    No need to apologize. You might have needed more purple, and maybe I needed more smilies lol. But posts like that attacking the Creed DO make me chuckle. Over on the 24HourCampfire forums some people get real worked up about the CM being a fad or whatever and I just think it’s hilarious that it’s still viewed as such by some people. The 6.5mm caliber is in near perfect balance regarding all the important details, and the CM is just a modern, true short action update of the Swede. I don’t see it fading away into the history books any time soon! ;)
    No purple, just for the record I’m a .270 guy. With my handloads. Old mod. 70.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It took that post for you to check the guns and ammo? I mean you’re already there anyhow…… lol

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I ended up with over 30 Savage Axis 2's and 700 adl's. I would like to walk into that again myself.
    It made family Birthday and Christmas presents easy for a few years.
    When was this? When Walmart was purging itself of the evil firearms? I believe that was in response to sandy ho ok

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Porbably good that urban Walmarts don't have them since they keep getting robbed.
    But the guns are in a locked case………. And stealing is against the law SO since gun laws stop gun crime there is no way they could ever take those guns from Walmart

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest

I don't have a 6.5 CM, and while it may have advantages, IMHO most critters will be shot close enough they won't know what cartridge zapped em.

There are some hardcore riflemen on that other forum. Also some old farts that like to argue.
    Entertaining, at times.

Top Bottom