• Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    In-spec is in-spec.

The more $ you spend, the higher the liklihood of everything being in-spec. Probably better stated, the cheaper the product, the higher the liklihood of something not being in spec. This holds true with many kinds of products.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    This.

I always look for products that follow the TDP. If they deviate, why? Sometimes it is performance, sometimes it is cost.

I have noticed that the lower the price, the less information typically available about the build and materials. Why not be proud of what you build and sell? Makes you think..

I had a Colt 6920 several years back that was a disaster and they OWN the TDP right.
    Build or have built with quality components and you'll likely always come ahead. Haven't had a factory built rifle for years.

Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    Folks are often really proud of their expensive stuff.

Right, people seem to forget that the U.S. was run out of Viet nam and Afghanistan by peasants with hodge podge com bloc arms made in shacks. Our expensive equipment is currently being sold at a Kandahar yard sale as I type.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Right, people seem to forget that the U.S. was run out of Viet nam and Afghanistan by peasants with hodge podge com bloc arms made in shacks. Our expensive equipment is currently being sold at a Kandahar yard sale as I type.
    Were those both hardware issues or bureaucratic/political software issues?

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    it all has to do with the emblem on the lower
    I used to think this but after buying a few of the Gucci brand things I realized *personally* it just comes down to the barrel, trigger, and muzzle device. At least for me.

I'll still be buying more V Seven products but with how good Aero Precisions quality is I don't get why I spend 3-5x the price anymore.

Just my .02 - which is probably worth less than a third of a cent in all actuality, and the adjusted for inflation I'd probably sell it for a hundredth of a cent and that'd be a good deal for my opinion.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    to add in upon "in spec is in spec"

If in spec, then it becomes about looks and features that are above/beyond TDP. And yes, I do realize that going above/beyond TDP spec basically kind of takes them out of the TDP to begin with.

I'll say it again - the higher the cost (with SOME brands) - the less liklihood of there being any kind of QC issue. Especially on a complete rifle. Hodge - don't they virtually guarantee flawlessnes? On the pistol side of things, Chambers Customs fires at least 250 rounds out of their pistols before they ship them out. AND the finish-ream their chambers. Who else does that? But...you pay for that.

Anyhow, I digress.

And we absolutely cannot leave out paying for the brand. There are plenty of people who pay for names. in MY opinion, certain brands aren't worth paying for...yet. But only because I don't have $400 to drop on a lower. I'm firmly in BCM / Aero territory. Heck - white label armory is good for me (they OEM for several other brands). But, I will say that a $999 16" SOLGW I saw yesterday was tempting. I don't know why though. I don't shoot the ones I currently have.

It all comes down to the level of risk we're willing to take with certain brands. There's a way higher risk involved in buying Anderson and PSA than there is with S&W, Colt, & Sig, for example. And there's even less risk with SOLGW, BCM, LMT, etc. And there's almost zero risk with something like a Hodge.

Top Bottom