• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Army’s newest rifle and automatic rifle are already in the hands of soldiersfor testing and will officially field to its first unit in 2024.

The service delivered the Next Generation Squad Weapon rifle and automatic rifle, known as the XM7 and XM250, respectively, along with its advanced optic, the XM157 fire control, to a platoon in the 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky in late September.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I'm interested in the details of what that 6.8mm round is?
    Basically its similar case size of 7.62 NATO. But in a higher pressure case giving essentially .270 Winchester performance out of the XM7s 13 inch barrel.

Imho, its cool but all I see is heavier rifles, heavier ammo and less time in the fight. Hopefully the fancy optics will make up for the reduced ammo

The machine gun however I think will benefit more and I'm kinda excited for that cartridge and firearm combination much more than the rifle.

For what its worth, this is the civilian equivalent that Sig has released commercially. I'm not certain all the differences but I think this is similar to the whole .308 win / 7.62 NATO relationship.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Basically its similar case size of 7.62 NATO. But in a higher pressure case giving essentially .270 Winchester performance out of the XM7s 13 inch barrel.

Imho, its cool but all I see is heavier rifles, heavier ammo and less time in the fight. Hopefully the fancy optics will make up for the reduced ammo

The machine gun however I think will benefit more and I'm kinda excited for that cartridge and firearm combination much more than the rifle.

For what its worth, this is the civilian equivalent that Sig has released commercially. I'm not certain all the differences but I think this is similar to the whole .308 win / 7.62 NATO relationship.
    I still think they could have loaded 308 Winchester pressure in their 7.62x51mm and used that Sierra 155gr Palma Match King bullet to achieve what they were looking for without wasting all that money on this new design. Just my two cents worth.

2700fps with a 16" barrel 51gr CFE223.
    You can still push it a little higher, and still be under maximum pressure.

How does this new round compare to this load?

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I still think they could have loaded 308 Winchester pressure in their 7.62x51mm and used that Sierra 155gr Palma Match King bullet to achieve what they were looking for without wasting all that money on this new design. Just my two cents worth.

I want to give you a standing ovation for that DS. I thought for a while, why not just make a faster, higher BC 7.62 NATO? I really don't think the new 6.8 will be any better at penetrating armor than what we have out there now. From my understanding of things it will behave similar to most FMJ medium bore rifle rounds, so not really anything new or all that impressive.

I think the biggest thing 6.8 will do compared to small caliber high velocity cartridges is penetrate barriers better.

Maybe .... Increased lethality between 3-600 meters. Still just poking holes unless they develop a way to get FMJ to tumble really well.

Compared to that load you stated, it should be a little flatter shooting and should buck the wind a little better. But similar performance. Again the high pressure case basically lets you get rifle length performance in a carbine length barrel.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans

Personally, I don’t think they are looking at ballistics as much as they are future manufacturing applications. But that’s just me. :dunno:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Instead of putting up the $ and the time to train .mil folks how to shoot more gooder, they went and developed a "new" cartridge and firearms system to shortcut getting .mil folks how to shoot more gooder.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Army procurement and developement run by idiots with none of their own money at risk and the "unlimited" government checkbook. Hoping "surplus" .308 and .223 comes available.
    I doubt that there will be any surplus ammo unless wars involving our "friends" cease. Our troops have been asking for a cartridge that will better penetrate windshields and such to deal with suicide car bombs at checkpoints among other things. The .223 has been long recommended as a good home defense round because of its ability to not over-penetrate.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Yep.. and most units will still get bare ammo to qualify and zero with. Plus the cost to redo ranges and qualification scenarios is gonna be astronomical

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do not understand the cartridge or the new M-14, er, XM-7.

Holland's 6.8SPC maybe with URGI upper would cover what they want without 15 lb. boat anchor.

The 6.8 in the LMG and the 338 MMG will be outstanding. Oh, mommy.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yep.. and most units will still get bare ammo to qualify and zero with. Plus the cost to redo ranges and qualification scenarios is gonna be astronomical
    What would have to be redone with qualing and the ranges?
    I'm asking with I don't know of any changes in the ranges with the last few service rifle changovers.
    I just don't recall having berms being moved.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know there were a lot of complaints in Afghanistan about our guys having a shorter range of fire than them with their rifles.

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom