• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Basically its similar case size of 7.62 NATO. But in a higher pressure case giving essentially .270 Winchester performance out of the XM7s 13 inch barrel.

Imho, its cool but all I see is heavier rifles, heavier ammo and less time in the fight. Hopefully the fancy optics will make up for the reduced ammo

The machine gun however I think will benefit more and I'm kinda excited for that cartridge and firearm combination much more than the rifle.

For what its worth, this is the civilian equivalent that Sig has released commercially. I'm not certain all the differences but I think this is similar to the whole .308 win / 7.62 NATO relationship.
    Thanks for the info.
    My thoughts on seeing this round is going back a century, other attempts have been made to develop a service rifle caliber in the neighborhood of a +- .270.
    Then some circumstances have caused it not to happen.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I want to give you a standing ovation for that DS. I thought for a while, why not just make a faster, higher BC 7.62 NATO? I really don't think the new 6.8 will be any better at penetrating armor than what we have out there now. From my understanding of things it will behave similar to most FMJ medium bore rifle rounds, so not really anything new or all that impressive.

I think the biggest thing 6.8 will do compared to small caliber high velocity cartridges is penetrate barriers better.

Maybe .... Increased lethality between 3-600 meters. Still just poking holes unless they develop a way to get FMJ to tumble really well.

Compared to that load you stated, it should be a little flatter shooting and should buck the wind a little better. But similar performance. Again the high pressure case basically lets you get rifle length performance in a carbine length barrel.
    Just add a tungsten core to the Palma bullet.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    What would have to be redone with qualing and the ranges?
    I'm asking with I don't know of any changes in the ranges with the last few service rifle changovers.
    I just don't recall having berms being moved.
    When ya redo ranges ya have to do the environmental studies... then ya have to clear. Then rebuild. The one I know where gonna redo must be pushed further into the impact area to accommodate for new further targets. Ya have to get EOD to clear it first before ya can start building new berms and target mounds. And running off all new wires and targeted. One pop up target the army uses cost about 10k. I've seen the plans for one range to be redone for this new rifle. Its in the millions. Plus the new caliber doesn't fit in the way the 5.56 ranges are designed for the SDZ. The army is all about throuput.

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    When ya redo ranges ya have to do the environmental studies... then ya have to clear. Then rebuild. The one I know where gonna redo must be pushed further into the impact area to accommodate for new further targets. Ya have to get EOD to clear it first before ya can start building new berms and target mounds. And running off all new wires and targeted. One pop up target the army uses cost about 10k. I've seen the plans for one range to be redone for this new rifle. Its in the millions.
    Like most things, maintenance has to be done. But I seriously doubt that any of that has to do with adding or taking away from the new interduction of a new service rifle/caliber.
    With what my son is telling me is that the Army is in process of changing how they Qual and with that some ranges with be rebuilt. It's essentially The USMC Table two is what they are going to.

Base ranges get rebuilt with upgrades all the time.
    MCRD Parris Islands Hue City range was just rebuilt a few years ago at the cost of 34 million. The rebuild had nothing to do with new service rifles being fielded.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Like most things, maintenance has to be done. But I seriously doubt that any of that has to do with adding or taking away from the new interduction of a new service rifle/caliber.
    With what my son is telling me is that the Army is in process of changing how they Qual and with that some ranges with be rebuilt. It's essentially The USMC Table two is what they are going to.

MCRD Parris Islands Hue City range was just rebuilt a few years ago at the cost of 34 million. The rebuild had nothing to do with new service rifles being fielded.
    This literally does. The current ranges we have cant accommodate the

In this case it strictly does.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am glad that our men on the front lines are getting a heavier round. I don't know enough about the new round to be for or against it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Funny how going from 30-40 Krag to 30-06 didn't change any ranges. 30-06 to 7.62x51 we didn't change ranges. With 7.62x51 and adding 5.56 to the ranges didn't change anything.
    And all the while shooting 50 BMG...
    But adding 8.6 changes everything...lol

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Steve Holland's 6.8 SPC is a pretty sweet round.. I'm friends with Steve and seen the original upper he built when developing this round. Every year a bunch of us get together through the Tactical Rifleman group which is how I met Steve... He is a retired 5th Group and became the 5th group weapons developer towards the end of his career and started the Sniper Locker at Fort Campbell.. It will be interesting to see how this replacement for the saw works out.

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Funny how going from 30-40 Krag to 30-06 didn't change any ranges. 30-06 to 7.62x51 we didn't change ranges. With 7.62x51 and adding 5.56 to the ranges didn't change anything.
    And all the while shooting 50 BMG...
    But adding 8.6 changes everything...lol
    You can't shoot 7.62 or 50 bmg designed for 5.56 without our severely restricting their left and right limits and limiting the amount of firing positions. And depending on the some ranges not at all. All do to the calibers SDZ. This is why we have to rebuild and redesign ranges to accolade the amount of shooters and the pop up target.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You can't shoot 7.62 or 50 bmg designed for 5.56 without our severely restricting their left and right limits and limiting the amount of firing positions. And depending on the some ranges not at all. All do to the calibers SDZ. This is why we have to rebuild and redesign ranges to accolade the amount of shooters and the pop up target.
    By and large its generally shot on a different range all together. Thats why so many from different Branches of our and other countries go and shoot at bases like 29 Palms and NTC to shoot.

Top Bottom