• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    It doesn't come with a brace attached... in compliance with this "rule".
    I'm guessing they are counting on it being the same as if you remove a previously attached brace from a pistol.
    Yes. Type of buffer tube doesn't matter.
    It can be a "pistol", "carbine", or "rifle" buffer tube . . . as long as there's nothing on it. BATFE already clarified this when deluged with an avalanche of questions about whether they'd claim you can shoulder a buffer tube and therefore it's an SBR.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It can be a "pistol", "carbine", or "rifle" buffer tube . . . as long as there's nothing on it. BATFE already clarified this when deluged with an avalanche of questions about whether they'd claim you can shoulder a buffer tube and therefore it's an SBR.
    For now. You know that'll be the next thing they say is "illegal" If I owned an AR pistol with that style buffer tube, and I gave a flying **** about what the ATF had to say, I'd swap to a smooth or padded tube

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    For now. You know that'll be the next thing they say is "illegal" If I owned an AR pistol with that style buffer tube, and I gave a flying **** about what the ATF had to say, I'd swap to a smooth or padded tube
    I resubmit my go-around, to get around this inane rule.
    I want someone to come out with a shooting jacket that has a "socket" built in the shoulder pad...:D

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I resubmit my go-around, to get around this inane rule.
    I want someone to come out with a shooting jacket that has a "socket" built in the shoulder pad...:D

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Their randomness and cherry picking is maddening. No logic.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    For God's sake, do NOT use a padded tube of any kind with any padding anywhere, as that's PROOF of ability and intent to shoulder it by absorbing recoil. The buffer tube MUST be completely nekked -- unless you're currently protected by one of several injunctions. The type of tube doesn't matter.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    For God's sake, do NOT use a padded tube of any kind with any padding anywhere, as that's PROOF of ability and intent to shoulder it by absorbing recoil. The buffer tube MUST be completely nekked -- unless you're currently protected by one of several injunctions. The type of tube doesn't matter.
    First I've heard of this. Can you elaborate on this? Any links that may apply?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Update on 5th Circuit interlocutory appeal regarding the Emergency Preliminary Injunction:
    Oral arguments were heard on June 29th and that's the last minute entry. Nothing has been forthcoming from the 5th Circuit since then. I quit drumming my fingers when others in my vicinity began complaining about the noise.

Update on District Court:
    Further action in the District Court is stayed pending resolution of the interlocutory appeal in the 5th Circuit. Next step here is Mock (and FPC) filing a motion for a summary judgement vacating the rule in its entirety. That could be upward of a month after the 5th Circuit is done -- unless someone makes an emergency interlocutory appeal to SCOTUS about the temporary injunction.

The wheels grind on relentlessly, albeit s-l-o-w-l-y.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Can anyone give me laymen terms on if I can have a pistol brace or not? I've found this but I don't know if it's old information or not. Nothing is "Final"

I'm assuming our government has failed us again and we have to live with whatever the ATF made up at the time (pistol braces make it an SBR). Just want to double check. I love my dog.

We will need more information about what you intend to do and/or use that brace on or with before giving you an answer.

But…putting aside exceptions and injunctions - the incomplete answer is a braced pistol is generally now an SBR and requires the appropriate approval and tax stamp.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    We will need more information about what you intend to do and/or use that brace on or with before giving you an answer.

But…putting aside exceptions and injunctions - the incomplete answer is a braced pistol is generally now an SBR and requires the appropriate approval and tax stamp.
    With any luck at all, not for long.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle

I don't intend to do anything. I want a 10.5 upper and don't want to pay for the stamp. Now I'm going 16" upper.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I don't intend to do anything. I want a 10.5 upper and don't want to pay for the stamp. Now I'm going 16" upper.
    Best thing to do until this is settled in court. If it gets pushed to the SCOTUS I'm feeling confident at this point in time that the current SCOTUS will slap down the ATF, and allow braces to be used again. However, this is going to take some time. So patience is the best to have thing to have right now.

@JAL
    Thanks for keeping us updated on this.

Top Bottom