• Status
    Not open for further replies.

todkapuz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    I say 'new', but I guess it has almost been a year now since I moved here to continue my employment with my employer. A pretty drastic move leaving Texas at a nice 70F+ and arriving mid-20s for several weeks (something I only recall a few hours here and there). (been a Texan for all my life until now)

So why am I "here" (the forum)... well I happened to be taken on some tangent on youtube, and a video was suggested that basically showed what appeared to be people with rifles on their backs and most people openly carrying on the streets of Indianapolis. My initial reaction was "wha? Are the laws here really that different from Texas?" ...

So I should take a step back and say that I have held a CHL in Texas since I was 21, and I have shot since I was... 7?. something like that. Honestly I rarely ever actually carried on my person; I actually originally got my CHL for four reasons... 1) it showed I had a clear record, 2) I could walk in, buy a gun, and walk out the same day with no issues, 3) it made it a lot easier to comply with Texas laws for travel to and from a range at the time (although laws and the legal interpretations has changed a lot over the years, and is much much more favorable then when i got it), and 4) to show my support that all law abiding citizens should be able to possess a firearm.

But anyhow, back to why i am here.... even though I should know that every state has differences in its laws, as I work in regulatory affairs type job... it still is amazing to me just how vastly (i did know about Illinois issues though)... I actually originally had no desire to get a Indiana permit when I moved here... (perhaps I'll speak the full reasons later) ... since surely I could go to the range and target shoot and do all the normal things ... so anyhow.... many hours later, reading through various posts and forums, I see I actually would have been violating the rules of this State (since obviously i dont have the LTCH) ... and anyhow, kept reading, and then got into the NFA stuff... and yeah... so here I am registering...

Have to say, the thought that I can carry here and I don't have to be worried about printing... since in Texas, printing is not concealed, and open carry is not legal at all (ie... if someone detects your gun, you quite literally could be taken away)...

now sadly all these threads are making me get the want a new gun bug again... now I have even more reasons I wish house issues back in Texas would stop so I could stop losing so much from my savings every month.. but at least I'll go ahead and get the permit process over-with. Pitty I can't just send copy of my texas CHL in and say "it was just renewed, can't i just get yours?" :)

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :welcome: to :ingo: from a fellow
    Texas.gif
    !

Fortunately, our LTCH application process is not far different from "Hey, I have this one, may I get yours?" It's a simple process, almost as simple as it should be (which, IMHO, consists of picking up your pistol, putting it in your holster, and going about your business; no license, no permit, no checking this or process that.)

A few other differences in Indiana include no 30.06 signs and no 51% concerns. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask them here.

The weather is far different, yes... it's hard to beat "10 months of summer and two months to get ready for the next one" (depending where in Texas you came from), but you do get used to it, as, after a year, you've likely found out.

Again, :welcome: to :ingo:!

Blessings,
    Bill

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    From a fellow misplaced Texan I say howdy, and welcome! As others have mentioned it's a breeze to get a license here. No class/exam required and no range test either.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Welcome! My first thought was "Boy is he going to be rudely awakened the first time it drops to -10 with 2 feet of snow on the ground!" I know I was having come up here from the province of north Texas (Oklahoma)!

A word of warning though, this forum is a BAD influence!! When I joined I was looking for info on restoring grandads old shotgun. Several AKs, ARs, M1s, HD shotguns and pistols later I still haven't restord that old shotgun!:laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I feel your pain, I moved here from FL (born and raised) back in 94. I still hate winter.

This is a great forum.

And man, I just did some reading on the 2 TX gun related items that BoR posted (30.06 signs and no 51% concern), and agree, very nice that IN does not have similar.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Welcome! I lived in Round Rock, TX for 3 years and loved all the shooting opportunities and great weather. Hope you can make it through the winters here OK. Lots of opportunity to reload ammo.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome to Indiana. My wife is a native Texan from Amarillo. I lived there for five years and I got a M.S. degree, a wife and two sons out of the deal - not bad.

OP: What part of Texas are you from?

Terry

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom