• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I am looking to move somewhere where I can walk out my back yard and shoot. I'm talking like Hickok45 backyard. I live in Chesterton now and I figure I need to get about 5+ acres to really justify the move. Schools are important too. I would need to get to Merrillville and Valpo on a daily basis also. I have heard Wheatfield is pretty (redneck)? any thoughts on places to look? I am pretty open and do not mind a 30 min drive to Valpo, could take longer to get to Merrillville. Since this move would be basically for shooting land is there anything I should know other than it needs to be out of city limits?

Right now Wheatfield and Demotte are the two I am looking at the most with Hebron and others in the area. Need to move out a ways to afford the house and land.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I need to see this hicks range

I feel left out now as this is the first I'm hearing of Hickok45's awesome range....

[video=youtube_share;NDMcacLEhQk]http://youtu.be/NDMcacLEhQk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;omVvuRFuAZ4]http://youtu.be/omVvuRFuAZ4[/video]

[video=youtube_share;1LXzKK6Pqk0]http://youtu.be/1LXzKK6Pqk0[/video]

Last edited:

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    So I am looking to move somewhere where I can walk out my back yard and shoot. I'm talking like Hickok45 backyard. I live in Chesterton now and I figure I need to get about 5+ acres to really justify the move. Schools are important too. I would need to get to Merrillville and Valpo on a daily basis also. I have heard Wheatfield is pretty (redneck)? any thoughts on places to look? I am pretty open and do not mind a 30 min drive to Valpo, could take longer to get to Merrillville. Since this move would be basically for shooting land is there anything I should know other than it needs to be out of city limits?

Right now Wheatfield and Demotte are the two I am looking at the most with Hebron and others in the area. Need to move out a ways to afford the house and land.

Do NOT put your kids in kankakee valley highschool. This is coming from a 23 yo who has lived all over that area from Wheatfield to lake village.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Do NOT put your kids in kankakee valley highschool. This is coming from a 23 yo who has lived all over that area from Wheatfield to lake village.

And I'll add this, you say the move is mostly for shooting land, if you have kids it isn't worth it. I have a son and plan on having more and there's no way I'd put my kids in KV maybe North Newton but doubtful.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Why not KV or NN?

Please don't use the, "I went there so I know." Because all you are really saying is "I went there and didn't do well, or screwed up."

High school is what you make it. If you want to do drugs, then do them. If you want to get straight a's, get them.

To answer the OP's question, land in Lake Village or Wheatfield can be had. Lake Village isn't as much of a premium, however.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Why not KV or NN?

Please don't use the, "I went there so I know." Because all you are really saying is "I went there and didn't do well, or screwed up."

High school is what you make it. If you want to do drugs, then do them. If you want to get straight a's, get them.

To answer the OP's question, land in Lake Village or Wheatfield can be had. Lake Village isn't as much of a premium, however.

I didn't go to kv. I did go to nn. And I'm happy with how I turned out, with that said ive been around that area most my life, I know you have too and your not much older than me but I'm pretty sure it's changed since your time. The land is great, great hunting tons of spots for fishing etc. But OP stated schools are important, well the KV school system is terrible and as you mentioned drugs, yea more drugs than anyone who isn't from there would believe. I know a handful of good people who made bad decisions out there and it cost them there life, and I know just as many not so good people that cost the same.

NN also not the best school in terms of curriculum and stuff like that but the drug scene is smaller and if your kids like sports neither is a good choice :p

And yes I know drugs are everywhere, but Wheatfield/demotte is a cesspool

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I know it seems I am an old man, however my sisters have graduated from KV after you got out of NN. KV graduates students that become geneticists and heroin addicts. Realistically they create few of both.

Good kids/bad decisions are another conversation.

These choices start at home.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    I'd say they create more of the later.
    Totally agree that it starts at home but there are the few exceptions to that. I'm just saying Wheatfield demotte area have a huge drug scene and it doesn't seem to be going away.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Laporte for cheaper taxes, and more house for your buck in most cases. I have 26 acres behind my house for sale. if I had the money I would buy it all and have my private range and a place to hunt.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I live in Valpo just off of Division Road. I only have 2.3+ acres, but in the surrounding areas, you might find what you are looking for. Look south of Division, west of 49, off Sager Road and Smoke road, maybe even the Boone Grove area. It's rural enough for what you want, but easy to Valpo and Merrillville. I work in Merrillville close to the Mall and it takes me 25 minutes to get to work. The Division, Sager, Smoke road area has some hills and valleys so you might be able to find some natural backstops.

I used to own a couple of acres out in Boone Grove and that is about the same time to Merrillville. The problem out in Boone Grove is that it is very flat.

As for schools, Boone Grove is either, well, Boone Grove or Valpo depending on how far north you are. The area south of Division where I am is Morgan Township, so East Porter County. Both systems are good but not with the sports or all the options you would get at Valpo.

Last edited:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I went to KV, it really is not a bad place. Like every other high school, if your kids wants the drugs, they will find them, if they want the trouble, they will find kids willing to provide it. However, if like me they were taught how to tell the difference between the kids that will help them rise and the ones that will sink them down, they will be fine. And land in DeMotte and Wheatfield can be had like Hickock's.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am on 500 West in Porter County close to Lake Eliza. I have 10 acres and a shooting range out back on my property. I am in the flatter part so I had to build a berm.

We would be in the Boone Grove school district. I really don't know much about how good or bad the schools are. All of my kids are in college and went to school a long way from here.

Remember that different counties have different rules when it comes to shooting on your property. Also, you will probably not want to be very close to a town. Towns tend to grow.

Top Bottom