• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Curious if that new unit uses those 1" wide filters shown in your photos ?
    I always assumed that the newer models used the 3-4" ones ? Not sure if wider always means better ?
    I was hoping for at least a 2" filter.
    It was on my "bucket" list. :lmfao:
    Wider at least means longer replacement time.
    I assume that it would take a bigger motor to pull through a 4" filter and/or you're pulling alot more volume of air per minute requiring a bigger filter.
    But, only 1" depth & only 14" instead of 16" (last filter) width. :scratch:
    24" or 26" length: too lazy to get up & look, haha!
    It is inconvenient to get the filter out. :facepalm:
    Best to have a small flathead handy. :dunno:
    Lazy designers! :ugh:
    Just like another that I had for 20 yrs except this one is lower to the ground & under an extension/shelf, so you can't see it, but have to feel your way. :wallbash:

Last edited:

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I was hoping for at least a 2" filter.
    But, ,only 1" depth & only 14" instead of 16" (last filter) width. :scratch:
    24" or 26" length: too lazy to get up & look, haha!
    It is inconvenient to get the filter out. :facepalm:
    Best to have a small flathead handy. :dunno:
    Lazy designers! :ugh:
    Just like another that I had for 20 yrs except this one is lower to the ground & under an extension/shelf, so you can't see it, but have to feel your way. :wallbash:
    I didn`t feel right "Liking " your response as it seems it could be a sore spot for you (:wallbash:) ;)
    I was Just a bit curious . Trying to squeeze a few more years out of our system before replacing .......it has 4" filters and a nice access door .
    At our past home our unit had the 1" filters . They dropped in quite nicely , but after they required changing , you almost had to shred them to get them out . And ( like you mentioned ) designed where you could not modify to add a larger size .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn`t feel right "Liking " your response as it seems it could be a sore spot for you (:wallbash:) ;)
    I was Just a bit curious . Trying to squeeze a few more years out of our system before replacing .......it has 4" filters and a nice access door .
    At our past home our unit had the 1" filters . They dropped in quite nicely , but after they required changing , you almost had to shred them to get them out . And ( like you mentioned ) designed where you could not modify to add a larger size .
    The thicker high Eff filters only work well in a properly designed duct system. They are a circulation resistance and will cause a reduction in CFM across the furnace heat "X" and the evap. The newer units do move more air and this is a key factor in the efficiency of the unit. A good 1 inch filter that's maintained regularly will do a good job. If you want better performance then opt for an electronic filter and keep it maintained.
    JMHO after more years in the field than a lot of you are old.
    Well not the OP. Like me he is :fogey:

:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK you were not changing them as often as needed. They were getting loaded up and deformed as the air tried to get through.
    Also, they make filters with better frames for more support.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did get a chuckle out of that comment about not liking b/c of possible sore spot. :laugh:
    I'm just glad this last house has the furnace inside the house instead of having to go outside the house and around the back to an exterior door to the furnace room. :facepalm:
    Strange design but perhaps it was a 1960s thing.
    In the early 70s during my college summers, when I was a laborer, mostly a tender, building FHA homes, furnaces seemed to be put in basements or hallways.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    New to Williams?
    No, I asked & Thomas told me, I think he said he'd been around for 14-15 yrs.
    Not impressed:
    - dried glue for the plastic pipe all over the top/lid to my water softener.
    - put a nick into my door frame not just paint but edge of wood door stop, when taking out the old furnace.
    - helper left mud here & there in the house even though they put down drop cloths.
    Wife not happy.
    - helper bumped a chair with the plastic pipe used for venting.
    No big deal unless it had been dirty, but it's still a good thing my wife didn't see it, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up on programmable thermostat saga.
    The schedule worked fine last night at 12 am turning heat down from 72* to 68*.

But, in the am, instead of furnace coming on as per schedule at 7:30 am to bring it back up to 72*.
    I happened to notice at 6:55 it had already come on and temp was 72.
    I assumed it came on just to maintain the 68*, since it had done that earlier.
    But, I noticed that the temp said 72* already & the screen said:
    - "Following Schedule."
    & also
    - "Recovery."
    When I checked at 7:45 am, I noticed the word, "Recovery" was no longer present.

A question for the experienced:
    Did it come on early before 7:30 so the temp would be 72* at 7:30?
    Is that just the way it works?
    Why 1/2 hour early?
    Anticipating that again tomorrow, I just put the schedule at 8 am for getting at 72 by 7:30 am.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Follow up on programmable thermostat saga.
    The schedule worked fine last night at 12 am turning heat down from 72* to 68*.

But, in the am, instead of furnace coming on as per schedule at 7:30 am to bring it back up to 72*.
    I happened to notice at 6:55 it had already come on and temp was 72.
    I assumed it came on just to maintain the 68*, since it had done that earlier.
    But, I noticed that the temp said 72* already & the screen said:
    - "Following Schedule."
    & also
    - "Recovery."
    When I checked at 7:45 am, I noticed the word, "Recovery" was no longer present.

A question for the experienced:
    Did it come on early before 7:30 so the temp would be 72* at 7:30?
    Is that just the way it works?
    Why 1/2 hour early?
    Anticipating that again tomorrow, I just put the schedule at 8 am for getting at 72 by 7:30 am.
    The new "smart" stats will come on early to have the temp at the desired set point at the time given. It will constantly learn how long it should take to cool or heat your home so it will be what you want when you want.

If I am not mistaken it calculates the times using the last 2? Weeks of data on how long it took. Being new, it doesn't have much to go off.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Look at the ecobee for an easy to use, connected programmable thermostat.

The new "smart" stats will come on early to have the temp at the desired set point at the time given. It will constantly learn how long it should take to cool or heat your home so it will be what you want when you want.

If I am not mistaken it calculates the times using the last 2? Weeks of data on how long it took. Being new, it doesn't have much to go off.
    Makes since.
    It really went overboard today, haha!
    I actually scheduled it for 8:15, just to make sure, haha!
    Sounds like I'll have to go back in and adjust the time when it "learns" that it takes only a few minutes.
    We are used to me simply turning it on around 7:30 - 8 am manually anyway, since I'm up before the wife.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    The thicker high Eff filters only work well in a properly designed duct system. They are a circulation resistance and will cause a reduction in CFM across the furnace heat "X" and the evap. The newer units do move more air and this is a key factor in the efficiency of the unit. A good 1 inch filter that's maintained regularly will do a good job. If you want better performance then opt for an electronic filter and keep it maintained.
    JMHO after more years in the field than a lot of you are old.
    Well not the OP. Like me he is :fogey:

OK you were not changing them as often as needed. They were getting loaded up and deformed as the air tried to get through.
    Also, they make filters with better frames for more support.
    Great info regarding the sizing . I always thought that if there was room for a larger one ,why didn`t they put one in .
    Also , I am positive that I never changed my filters regularly ;)
    I spent almost 40 years in the trade also ( Carpenter ) working next to a lot of HVAC folks.....should have paid more attention to what they were doing ....:D.....(Retired now at 62)

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles

<changes subject> What electronic filters do you recommend?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    <changes subject> What electronic filters do you recommend?
    To be honest I am not up on the new offerings as the expense has folks sticking with the standard throw aways.
    Doc Indy here on the board is deep into all the new high end stuff and will be more able to help.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Makes since.
    It really went overboard today, haha!
    I actually scheduled it for 8:15, just to make sure, haha!
    Sounds like I'll have to go back in and adjust the time when it "learns" that it takes only a few minutes.
    We are used to me simply turning it on around 7:30 - 8 am manually anyway, since I'm up before the wife.
    It would be wise to set the parameters per the instructions and then leave it alone. Let it learn. If you keep playing with it nothing will be accomplished. If after as period of time it is still not responding as programed then get the tech involved.

Leave it alone once it is programed. At least give it a chance.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It would be wise to set the parameters per the instructions and then leave it alone. Let it learn. If you keep playing with it nothing will be accomplished. If after as period of time it is still not responding as programed then get the tech involved.

Leave it alone once it is programed. At least give it a chance.
    You were so right, CM. :thumbsup:
    After my switching from 7:30 am to 8:15 am b/c my wife wanted 72* at 8 am, my 2nd 8:15 am setting for heat to be at 72* temp by 8 am, it did so with the 8:15 setting.
    I'll find out when winter cold gets here again if it takes the 8:15 am setting to be at 72* at that time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The thermostat keeps the heat, & today the AC, steady at the programmed temp. :rockwoot:
    The wife is very pleased.
    For years the temp would drop 1-2* lower before coming on or getting 1-2* higher before shutting off, than where it's set. :wallbash:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The thermostat keeps the heat, & today the AC, steady at the programmed temp. :rockwoot:
    The wife is very pleased.
    For years the temp would drop 1-2* lower before coming on or getting 1-2* higher before shutting off, than where it's set. :wallbash:
    Some folks (hmmm) have to mess with new things. I had a customer that drove me insane over his stat. So I get it.
    Glad it’s working for you now.
    Thing is, it always was :lmfao:
    You know I love you man

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some folks (hmmm) have to mess with new things. I had a customer that drove me insane over his stat. So I get it.
    Glad it’s working for you now.
    Thing is, it always was :lmfao:
    You know I love you man
    Funniest thing I've read/heard all day! :thumbsup:
    I know you're right, that's what makes being called out on my idiosyncrasies hilarious, just like any friend would do. :stickpoke:
    I love the people I've met on INGO, enriching! :ingo:
    I do love to play with a new thermostat, ha ha! :laugh6:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom