• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScottCollins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    NWI
    I wouldn't let ones act or words to prevent me from shooting USPSA. I shoot a few different types of shooting sports and i absolutely love it!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Riley is where I started shooting competition at their IDPA matches way back in 2000.
    I would love to go, unfortunately I will be at USPSA Nationals.
    I will definitely be digging out the vest..it will need some modifications as I think the old Royal Robbins may still have cardboard expanding the side pockets for retention reloads. (Old school gaming..pre-5.11 vest)

I have not shot an IDPA match since the state match in 2009.
    I am really looking forward to making some of these.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wouldn't let ones act or words to prevent me from shooting USPSA. I shoot a few different types of shooting sports and i absolutely love it!

That's a good attitude!

Riley is where I started shooting competition at their IDPA matches way back in 2000.
    I would love to go, unfortunately I will be at USPSA Nationals.
    I will definitely be digging out the vest..it will need some modifications as I think the old Royal Robbins may still have cardboard expanding the side pockets for retention reloads. (Old school gaming..pre-5.11 vest)

I have not shot an IDPA match since the state match in 2009.
    I am really looking forward to making some of these.

Will the Nowlin come out of retirement?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's a good attitude!

Will the Nowlin come out of retirement?

I shot it at Single Stack Nationals this year...
    the 7 round mags will...
    Actually I need to read the rules, I used the 7 rounders because slide lock reloads and no mag retention..but you used to not be able to dump rounds
    I might even break out the Alessi holster and mag pouches though

Are the pants with the ripped out crotch coming back?
    Please say yes

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I shot it at Single Stack Nationals this year...
    the 7 round mags will...
    Actually I need to read the rules, I used the 7 rounders because slide lock reloads and no mag retention..but you used to not be able to dump rounds
    I might even break out the Alessi holster and mag pouches though

Are the pants with the ripped out crotch coming back?
    Please say yes

If I still had them, I'd go for it. I'll have to rip a new pair!

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Well I just realized that the 23rd is the workday for the state match in october.
    I most likely won't be able to shoot but I will do my best to make the next one.
    I don't care about the rules I'll just eat procedurals until I figure it out.
    Shooting is shooting
    Most rules out side of the safety rules are pretty dumb if you think about it long enough.
    Question
    Can I shoot a 1911 in 40 in what ever passes for single stack?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You guys won't shoot USPSA because one of the divisions limits magazines to 10 rounds loaded? Whuh?

There you have it!

I dont' know anything about mag rules. My comment was directed towards the guy with the attitude calling another member a douchbag.

I probably would try USPSA some day. A couple good friends of mine were heavily involved with USPSA a few years back(I think they may have helped get Riley going as far as I can tell). They are great people. If they were still doing it, I would be there.

I get trash talking and am fine with it. But what I see from the outside looking in is that USPSA doesn't seem to care if they get new shooters or if someone who shoots a different discipline wants to come try it. It appears to be a very tight knit group of shooters with a somewhat elitist attitude.

Maybe I should just come out to a match and prove myself wrong.:)

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Never shot IDPA before need to read up on it but I thought someone told me before you had to be a member to shoot. Is that true?

You are good to go by the rule book, it has as long as I have been shooting given the opportunity to shoot one match before joining. I don't have my rule book handy but IIRC that has been changed to three matches. Jim.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I dont' know anything about mag rules. My comment was directed towards the guy with the attitude calling another member a douchbag.

I probably would try USPSA some day. A couple good friends of mine were heavily involved with USPSA a few years back(I think they may have helped get Riley going as far as I can tell). They are great people. If they were still doing it, I would be there.

I get trash talking and am fine with it. But what I see from the outside looking in is that USPSA doesn't seem to care if they get new shooters or if someone who shoots a different discipline wants to come try it. It appears to be a very tight knit group of shooters with a somewhat elitist attitude.

I am sure it varies by club, but I didn't get that at all when I started last year. I now help with set up at BORCC and am an RO. I try to be as friendly and helpful as I can. (sometimes that is a stretch for a grumpy person like me)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Never shot IDPA before need to read up on it but I thought someone told me before you had to be a member to shoot. Is that true?

The rules say you can shoot three matches without being a member (used to be one). Some clubs enforce that rule and some do not. Some clubs have a rule that if the match is at their club, then their club members can shoot regardless of the organizations rules.

Well I just realized that the 23rd is the workday for the state match in october.
    I most likely won't be able to shoot but I will do my best to make the next one.
    I don't care about the rules I'll just eat procedurals until I figure it out.
    Shooting is shooting
    Most rules out side of the safety rules are pretty dumb if you think about it long enough.
    Question
    Can I shoot a 1911 in 40 in what ever passes for single stack?

Yes, a 1911 in .40 would be in Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP).

Yeah, you're wrong. :)

Also, the context of that comment was an IDPA shooter talking about USPSA (although he also shoots USPSA), so if anything you should have said you won't shoot IDPA. Don't judge what happens in real life at matches by what you sometimes read on computer forums.

You are good to go by the rule book, it has as long as I have been shooting given the opportunity to shoot one match before joining. I don't have my rule book handy but IIRC that has been changed to three matches. Jim.

I'm a helper!

2017 IDPA Rulebook rev 2017, page 13.

3.11 Responsibilities and Code of Conduct
    By shooting IDPA Matches, I agree to the following:

D.I will maintain a current IDPA membership after my third match.

I am sure it varies by club, but I didn't get that at all when I started last year. I now help with set up at BORCC and am an RO. I try to be as friendly and helpful as I can. (sometimes that is a stretch for a grumpy person like me)

Yes, you are almost as grumpy as I am!

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute

USPSA has 5000 new members in the last year. Try it you might like it!

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

It was doofus not douchebag

As Steve said, try it you might like it

I won't be able to Participate in this one but will keep my eyes open for follow up matches at Riley.

We talk a lot of B.S. on the computer but 99% of the people that are flexing keyboard muscle would defend each other if needed. Most of the crap comes out in "rules" threads. Rules threads should be banned

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    97.238% of members of USPSA and IDPA are great people
    Don't let the couple of asshats that are part of any organization, club or Competitve sport keep you away.

I think he said doofus...not bastard, little bit of a difference.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My bad on misquoting someone! Sorry. Well, I know Jake is cool. I like Rhino(even if he didn't buy my P226,lol) and I'm betting you are right. There are asshats in every walk of life and activity. I've had the privilege to be somewhat of a jack of many activities, master of none. I can't think of any that didn't have that "one guy".

I'll be around one day. I have a lot of work to do on fundamentals of shooting before I'm ready for runnin and gunnin.:)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My bad on misquoting someone! Sorry. Well, I know Jake is cool. I like Rhino(even if he didn't buy my P226,lol) and I'm betting you are right. There are asshats in every walk of life and activity. I've had the privilege to be somewhat of a jack of many activities, master of none. I can't think of any that didn't have that "one guy".

I'll be around one day. I have a lot of work to do on fundamentals of shooting before I'm ready for runnin and gunnin.:)

If mastering fundamentals were a prerequisite, a lot of us would not be out there shooting matches! HAHA!

Seriously, I understand your position -- it's natural. However, it's kind of like saying, "I'm not strong enough to go to lift weights in a gym, so I won't join a gym until I am strong enough." As long as you can adhere to the safety rules, you will be welcomed and shooting in matches will help you improve your skills. If nothing else, you will have an objective assessment of your current abilities in terms of marksmanship, gun handling, speed, decision making, etc. That can help guide you toward those areas where you need the most improvement. Most people who practice only practice what they're good at doing. Most people need to practice what they are not good at doing (including me). For some, the matches provide a lot of motivation to practice and you can learn how to practice the right ways from the other competitors.

Summarizing, you're missing some good, clean fun for not a great reason!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If mastering fundamentals were a prerequisite, a lot of us would not be out there shooting matches! HAHA!

Seriously, I understand your position -- it's natural. However, it's kind of like saying, "I'm not strong enough to go to lift weights in a gym, so I won't join a gym until I am strong enough." As long as you can adhere to the safety rules, you will be welcomed and shooting in matches will help you improve your skills. If nothing else, you will have an objective assessment of your current abilities in terms of marksmanship, gun handling, speed, decision making, etc. That can help guide you toward those areas where you need the most improvement. Most people who practice only practice what they're good at doing. Most people need to practice what they are not good at doing (including me). For some, the matches provide a lot of motivation to practice and you can learn how to practice the right ways from the other competitors.

Well said. You sound like my CrossFit coach. And believe me, I do a lot in his gym that I'm not good at, but I keep coming back. I just need to transfer that mentality to shooting.

I'll admit that it's tough being dead last. I'm used to at least being in the middle of the pack, but when it comes to shooting, I haven't figured it out yet. I either see the target or see the front sight. Never both. I either pull the trigger straight back in a controlled smooth stroke or I keep my eyes on the front sight. Not both. I either shoot the bad guy or the hostage. Sometimes both.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well said. You sound like my CrossFit coach. And believe me, I do a lot in his gym that I'm not good at, but I keep coming back. I just need to transfer that mentality to shooting.

I'll admit that it's tough being dead last. I'm used to at least being in the middle of the pack, but when it comes to shooting, I haven't figured it out yet. I either see the target or see the front sight. Never both. I either pull the trigger straight back in a controlled smooth stroke or I keep my eyes on the front sight. Not both. I either shoot the bad guy or the hostage. Sometimes both.

I've been shooting USPSA and 3-gun since 1994. I've been shooting IDPA since 2003. I still spend plenty of time at the bottom of the results!

Come to the match, be in my squad. We'll have fun and you'll learn stuff you didn't know that you didn't know.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

You aren't kidding. Even though I did reasonably well at that match at Wildcat, I went home and practiced the one thing that really hurt me, those stupid unloaded table starts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You aren't kidding. Even though I did reasonably well at that match at Wildcat, I went home and practiced the one thing that really hurt me, those stupid unloaded table starts.

Based on the results, you have definitely improved significantly (in terms of USPSA) since the last time I shot with you at ACC. Well done, sir!

Top Bottom