• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I saw the one at Pop's. Looked nice and felt nice. The thing I found wierd was the barrel was shaped strange. I've not seen one like this. More like the shape of an hour glass is the best I can describe it. Anyone else seen anything like that and a purpose for not making it symetrical the entire length on the 9mm?

Here is a quick youtube on it - you can kind of see how the barrel dips and goes back up?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuSJ6iz6C4w[/ame]

Last edited:

Colonel D

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indy
    I agree with the assessment of too wide for pocket carry. They should have been able to get a little narrower with a 6 shot pistol/magazine.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I saw the one at Pop's. Looked nice and felt nice. The thing I found wierd was the barrel was shaped strange. I've not seen one like this. More like the shape of an hour glass is the best I can describe it. Anyone else seen anything like that and a purpose for not making it symetrical the entire length on the 9mm?

Here is a quick youtube on it - you can kind of see how the barrel dips and goes back up?

YouTube - SHOT Show 2011 - Kimber Solo Carry 9mm

My pf9 has the same shape to the barrel.

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    It does include the width of the safety. It is actually relatively slim. With out having one next to it, I would say the same as the Kahr.

The body actually must be thinner than the Kahr, which is 1.1" wide (Kahr has stopped quoting this overall width in favor of quoting the .90" "slide width" instead), because on the Solo that includes two levers of a slide stop (either side), as opposed to the Kahr's single slide stop lever on the left. I haven't seen one yet but will do so this afternoon, and will compare it to my Kahr PM9 while I'm there. I should be able to provide some dimensions that I haven't been able to find, like the length of the front strap (I see on the Solo that the trigger guard has been undercut, just like on most modern 1911's) and the trigger distances and travel.

From the SHOT show engineering video of the Solo, it sounds like the shape of the barrel cut was determined by the confined space requirements of the slide innards, and to make it easier to remove the barrel from the slide. Must be a pretty tight squeeze in there. I'll see if I can get one taken apart while I'm at it.

Specialized

Last edited:

LPPOsecurity

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    NWI
    This thing is a nice little gun, I got to hold one about 2 weeks ago, solid, relatively light, about as thin as it's competitors, and the price I saw on it was 600+tax, it looks like a nice little gun

caramilton03

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yah!!!! I got one!

I just got my Kimber Solo Carry yesterday (03/01/11) and it is awesome!!! I had been talking with the guys at Bradis about getting one, and I was put on their waiting list with no deliver date in sight. I searched high and low on the internet for a month looking for one in stock...I really wanted the all stainless model, or as Kimber calls it, the satin silver finish. So, I called Kimber to find out the status of the Solo Carry and the all stainless model will not be available until late summer. But, the two-tone is available now in LIMITED supply.

I was going to get the Kahr MK9 at Bradis, but decided to go to Elmore's in Greenwood to look around...They did not have the Solo Carry either. However, they HAD two and sold them in less than 24 hours. I asked about the store down the street, The Outdoorsmen Sport Shop...They said they had a small selection and were overpriced. The officer in the store called down there for me, and sure enough they had one in stock and someone was looking at it. My husband and I rushed down there and bought it. The guy that was looking at it was still there. I thanked him for not buying it.

I love it so much! It is beautiful! We went back to Bradis and I had to show off my new gun to all the guys. They could not believe I got one. I am 1 of maybe 5 or so people in the Indianapolis area that have one at this time.

I cannot wait to get the magazine with the grip extension, the Crimson Trace laser grip, and the Trijicon night sights. I have to pre-order the extra magazine, and call Crimson Trace today. As for the night sights, hopefully Trijicon will come out them for the Solo Carry. If not, maybe Meprolight, since Kimber owns them.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I love it so much! It is beautiful! We went back to Bradis and I had to show off my new gun to all the guys. They could not believe I got one.

:laugh:

I see the excitement hasn't quite worn off yet... ;) Hope you enjoy that little gem. I still owe my Kimber rep a butt-chewing.

Oh, and welcome to :ingo:

Last edited:

Specialized

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 97.8%
    87   2   1
    Jan 26, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I'm first on a waiting list for one of these babies. Can anyone who has bought one comment on the trigger? I'm interested in smoothness, length of trigger pull, shortness of reset, etc. Anybody want to review theirs so I can drool some more before mine gets here? :D

Specialized

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Conical barrel is becoming quite common in compact 1911 style pistols. Its been around for a while in the custom world, but production guns are starting to use it. It eliminates the barrel bushing at the end of the barrel and somehow makes the compact 1911s more reliable.

interesting piece. I need to get my hands on one thats for sure.

FordMan79

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Southeast Indiana
    The slide is only .995, the safety/slide-latch makes it .12.

I know most people don't want one on a carry gun, but I like that it has an external safety. I have a friend that has one order for ~600.

It looks to be the right size for pocket carry but it is too thick. Isn't that as thick as a glock? Most pocket carry guns are around .9". This one is a full 33% thicker. I need bigger pantss

Top Bottom