• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Wouldn't it be the same thing happening with CA and the Feds over marijuana? Sure, you wont face any state problems, but the feds can swoop in anytime and raid your farm/business/school/home. Sure the sheriff is supreme, but there is only so much he and the county PD can do. Before the sheriff goes to war with the feds, we would already be in civil unrest as a nation. Although guns that are manufactured solely in-state, and don't leave the state, and can ONLY be purchased by Indiana residents, shouldn't fall under the ICC.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    It's only symbolic since Federal law trumps state, but I still like the message it sends.

No actually state law, unless that power is specifically granted to the Federal Govt. trumps federal.

The 10th Amendment, which is actually in the US Constitution says:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

It's unfortunate that the states have forgotten this!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No actually state law, unless that power is specifically granted to the Federal Govt. trumps federal.

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

QFT.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    There is similar stuff going on here in Johnson County. Not sure it will hold up, but I agree with it.
    gunlaw_zps1975f39c.jpg

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    And the only way state law is going to trump federal is after the law is in place, and SCOTUS rules.The federal government is not just going to say " Oh, well, guess we can't do anything about Kentucky" People will be in for a world of hurt before it gets better. It would be a huge victory though, in some ways it would be a good thing to have an unconstitutional gun-control act passed. SCTOUS can strike it down and we wont have to deal with any of this crap ever again.

I don't know why everyone thinks the state enacting a law will protect them. Like I said earlier, that isn't going very well for marijuana friendly states, is it?
    Although SCOTUS is more likely to rule in favor of the states in face of gun control legislation, because the 2nd amendment is part of the Constitution, marijuana isn't.

But still, it's a good comparison. Marijuana grown in-state, used by in-state residents, should be legal if the state is taxing, and permitting it, and the federal government should have no power over it, especially if they are basing their power on the ICC.
    Worst case scenario, guns can only be sold, transported, manufactured, in their state of origin.

Last edited:

dragun762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Im happy to see some states standing up and saying f*** you to these unconstitutional attempts to circumvent our rights. :rockwoot:

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Supposed to go 1Me, 2State, 3Fed. It's now 1Fed, 2State, 3Me.... I've got big boots made in the US! and they're starting to feel left out of the stompin!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh

The States may have forgotten it but the most powerful Law Enforcement Officers in the nation haven't.

They are quickly becoming aware of their position in life and the inherent power of their office.

If you haven't, you need to engage your county Sheriffs in serious one on one conversations to explain the movement and forward your support to them.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I believe that as we continue to see the federal govt. spiral out of control fiscally as well as politically, we will see some states becoming more independently minded than in recent years.

The deference to the federal government by the states is actually a relatively recent phenomenon. It wasn't always the case. In fact the United States almost wasn't united because some of the states didn't want to give the federals so much power.

There is a rekindling of state's rights going on in many places that don't see the federal government as the solution to each and every problem. I think this is a very good thing. There is nobody in Washington DC that can know what's right for Indiana better than the people here. I'm glad to see states like Kentucky and Texas starting to stand up to the mandates that the federal government has no right to make. But after years of seeing federal power go unchallenged by the several states, it's going to be a struggle.

The states have much greater ability to challenge the federal government than the individual does. In theory the courts are supposed to be the recourse for the individual but fighting takes years and more money than most people can imagine having. So it's only when groups like the ACLU get involved that we see those individual rights cases make it to the SCOTUS. But the states have the resources to stand up to the federal government, at least compared to the individual.

I'm hoping we'll see more of this and it's a good thing! The 10th Amendment was included in the Constitution for a very good reason, to KEEP THE FEDERAL GOVT. IN CHECK! But it's been unchecked for a number of years.

Top Bottom