• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    As ATM has pointed out you would need to have either a KY permit or a LTCH from IN to have a handgun in the car, but in Indiana you would need no liscence to have a long gun in your car.

jeffb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Here is what I was told by the head of security last night. You have to have a valid permit. Gun has to be unloaded and locked in the glove box. I feel this is more restrictive than the statute as I see nowhere that it requires the gun to be unloaded and it clearly gives other options than the glove box. I asked about long guns and brought it to his attention that a permit is not required to have a long gun in the vehicle. He said he has gotten no direction from the company on long guns.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Here is what I was told by the head of security last night. You have to have a valid permit. Gun has to be unloaded and locked in the glove box. I feel this is more restrictive than the statute as I see nowhere that it requires the gun to be unloaded and it clearly gives other options than the glove box. I asked about long guns and brought it to his attention that a permit is not required to have a long gun in the vehicle. He said he has gotten no direction from the company on long guns.

Secured out of sight affords many options to include the glove box (for a handgun - not so much for a rifle. ;))

...or stored out of sight in the employee's locked vehicle...

The company does not have any authority to redefine "firearm" as "only a handgun" either.

...legally possessing a firearm or ammunition...

Need not be unloaded.

Know the law even if your company doesn't. Then, you need not ask for permission.

*this is just ATM's internet opinion. IANAL*

Last edited:

NosmoKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Certain companies doing certain kinds of business will have exemptions from this law. A few would be any facility that is regulated by C-TPAT, certain Maritime facilities, and child care facilities (possibly even factories or office buildings that have on-site child care facilities).

The law is actually quite ambiguous and will most likely create some case law.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Jeff just quit asking question about it or they will just fire you for no reason at all, follow the law and if they fire you for having a gun sue them, remember Indiana is a right to work state and you can be let go for any reason.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Jeff just quit asking question about it or they will just fire you for no reason at all, follow the law and if they fire you for having a gun sue them, remember Indiana is a right to work state and you can be let go for any reason.

Which is why you will never be able to sue them for dismissing you, unless they specifically said it was because you had a gun. Personally, if they are dumb enough to specifically state that they were dismissing you for an improper reason, they deserve to get taken for all they are worth. :twocents:

Jcole

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    How is anyone going to know you have a gun in your car unless you tell them? I can see the frustration, but what they dont know wont hurt them, or your employment status.

lynn22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    my company just posted their rules for keeping your firearm in your vehicle. it states in part, that you have to notify them if you intend to keep a firearm in your vehicle. you have to provide them with the description of the firearm and possible the serial number. you will also according to them pay the company a $100.00 fee to help offset their higher insureance rates. Does the compay have the right to demand these stipulations? or are they just trying to bluff people into not have a firearm on company property. I think there were other stipulations but can't think of them all right now.

Thanks

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    my company just posted their rules for keeping your firearm in your vehicle. it states in part, that you have to notify them if you intend to keep a firearm in your vehicle. you have to provide them with the description of the firearm and possible the serial number. you will also according to them pay the company a $100.00 fee to help offset their higher insureance rates. Does the compay have the right to demand these stipulations? or are they just trying to bluff people into not have a firearm on company property. I think there were other stipulations but can't think of them all right now.

Thanks
    Nope. Your company is blowing smoke. If you want to keep your firearm all you need is a LTCH. That's the ONLY requirement, (unless you work at one of the exempted companies like Lilly). Just keep it locked in your car and don't talk about it. The law is on your side. Not your company's.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Nope. Your company is blowing smoke. If you want to keep your firearm all you need is a LTCH. That's the ONLY requirement, (unless you work at one of the exempted companies like Lilly). Just keep it locked in your car and don't talk about it. The law is on your side. Not your company's.

Only need a LTCH if you have a handgun, can have a long gun without one.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Thanks

The law doesn't support those stipulations... and since the company can no longer search your car to find out, they can't enforce them if you keep quiet.

lynn22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    I told someone at work that they were trying to bluff us. I have a permit to carry, all I need to do is register my guns and keep quiet. One of the other points in their rules were if they knew you were keeping a gun in you vehicle was you had to submit to a random search of you car.

Thanks

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I told someone at work that they were trying to bluff us. I have a permit to carry, all I need to do is register my guns and keep quiet. One of the other points in their rules were if they knew you were keeping a gun in you vehicle was you had to submit to a random search of you car.

Thanks
    There is no gun registration in Indiana, so you don't have to do anything. Just carry it in your vehicle and keep mum.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    True, but the majority of people don't carry long guns for self defence.

But the law wasn't just written for self defense carriers, it also applies to the trap shooter and the plinker, lots of gun owners don't carry a handgun on a regular basis.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    One of the other points in their rules were if they knew you were keeping a gun in you vehicle was you had to submit to a random search of you car.

Thanks

Why, so they can find the gun that you already admitted you have (if you happen to voluntarily fololow their asinine & legally unenforceable rules)? :dunno:

That's stupid.

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    How is anyone going to know you have a gun in your car unless you tell them? I can see the frustration, but what they dont know wont hurt them, or your employment status.

The company that I work for has you sign an employee agreement that states that they can search your vehicle and belongings whenever they want to. This is mostly to help prevent industrial espionage and theft but they also do not want weapons (firearms and large knives) on the property.

Top Bottom