• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i dont carry my firearm with me to work because i am not allowed to wear it on my uniform because its not department issued but if i do have it in the car then i lock it in the glove box. Anybody know the rule on whether or not you can keep it loaded during commute or storing it in your vehicle

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    my company just posted their rules for keeping your firearm in your vehicle. it states in part, that you have to notify them if you intend to keep a firearm in your vehicle. you have to provide them with the description of the firearm and possible the serial number. you will also according to them pay the company a $100.00 fee to help offset their higher insureance rates. Does the compay have the right to demand these stipulations? or are they just trying to bluff people into not have a firearm on company property. I think there were other stipulations but can't think of them all right now.

Thanks
    If they are that stupid about it I would be looking for employment elsewhere. ( I bet they have other issues also ) As far as insurance goes it won't effect them. Let them collect it for awhile then if someone quits or gets fired then take them to court. My bet is they are just bluffing. JMO

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    my company just posted their rules for keeping your firearm in your vehicle. it states in part, that you have to notify them if you intend to keep a firearm in your vehicle. you have to provide them with the description of the firearm and possible the serial number. you will also according to them pay the company a $100.00 fee to help offset their higher insureance rates. Does the compay have the right to demand these stipulations? or are they just trying to bluff people into not have a firearm on company property. I think there were other stipulations but can't think of them all right now.

Thanks

I dont think thats anywhere near legal. Contatct Sen.Nugent he is the co-author.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    i dont carry my firearm with me to work because i am not allowed to wear it on my uniform because its not department issued but if i do have it in the car then i lock it in the glove box. Anybody know the rule on whether or not you can keep it loaded during commute or storing it in your vehicle

The new law doesn't specify that it has to be unloaded so you should be able to keep it unloaded or loaded at you discretion:

HOUSE ENROLLED ACT No. 1065
    Chapter 7. Possession of Firearms and Ammunition in Locked Vehicles
    Sec. 1. This chapter applies only to possession of a firearm or

ammunition by an individual who may possess the firearm or ammunition legally. This chapter does not apply to the possession of a firearm, ammunition, or other device for which an individual must possess a valid federal firearms license issued under 18 U.S.C. 923 to possess the firearm, ammunition, or other device.
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;
    (D) a group home;
    (E) an emergency shelter care group home; or
    (F) a child care center;
    in violation of 465 IAC 2-9-80, 465 IAC 2-10-79, 465 IAC 2-11-80, 465 IAC 2-12-78, 465 IAC 2-13-77, or 470 IAC 3-4.7-19;
    (3) on the property of a penal facility (as defined in IC 35-41-1-21);
    (4) in violation of federal law;
    (5) in or on property belonging to an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined in IC 21-7-13-6(b));
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person's residence;
    (8) on the property of a person that is:
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards issued April 9, 2007; and
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
    (9) on property owned by:
    (A) a public utility (as defined in IC 8-1-2-1) that generates and transmits electric power; or
    (B) a department of public utilities created under IC 8-1-11.1; or
    (10) in the employee's personal vehicle if the employee, including a contract employee, is a direct support professional who:
    (A) works directly with individuals with developmental disabilities to assist the individuals to become integrated into the individuals' community or least restrictive environment; and
    (B) uses the employee's personal vehicle while transporting an individual with developmental disabilities.
    Sec. 3. (a) An individual who believes that the individual has been harmed by a violation of section 2 of this chapter may bring a civil action against the person who is alleged to have violated section 2 of this chapter, other than a person set forth in IC 34-6-2-103(j)(2).
    (b) If a person is found by a court, in an action brought under subsection (a), to have violated section 2 of this chapter, the court may do the following:
    (1) Award:
    (A) actual damages; and
    (B) court costs and attorney's fees;
    to the prevailing individual.
    (2) Enjoin further violations of this chapter.
    Sec. 4. This chapter does not limit a person's rights or remedies under any other state or federal law.
    Sec. 5. A court does not have jurisdiction over an action brought against an employer who is in compliance with section 2 of this chapter for any injury or damage resulting from the employer's compliance with section 2 of this chapter.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Got this big e-mail at work today stating that they would "allow" you have have a firearm in your vehicle at work,

but you had to have a trigger lock on it,
    Had to be in a hard case that has a lock on it,
    said case has to be secured to you vehicle in some way,
    Could not be loaded,
    Ammo has to be in a different part of the vehicle, (ie. Trunk)
    and that you could not have more than one firearm in your vehicle.

The e-mail went on to say that if they found a firearm in your vehicle that was not as describe then you would be fired on the spot.

Silly me thought that I just had to keep it out of sight and lock my car. :n00b:

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    Got this big e-mail at work today stating that they would "allow" you have have a firearm in your vehicle at work,

but you had to have a trigger lock on it,
    Had to be in a hard case that has a lock on it,
    said case has to be secured to you vehicle in some way,
    Could not be loaded,
    Ammo has to be in a different part of the vehicle, (ie. Trunk)
    and that you could not have more than one firearm in your vehicle.

The e-mail went on to say that if they found a firearm in your vehicle that was not as describe then you would be fired on the spot.

Silly me thought that I just had to keep it out of sight and lock my car. :n00b:
    That's all you have to do. I think a lot of companies are just thinking thier employee's are stupid enough to go along with it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    lionhrt, I wouldn't give up yet. Over the past couple of years I have been surprised about bad things in the world happening that I never thought would, and I have been just as surprised at good things that have happened that I would have bet all of my (limited) money against having a chance at happening.

Lets see who, if anyone, in the .gov that challenges them in court.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I drive 44 miles one way to work...and 44 miles back home again! That's a lot of unprotected miles each day. We have a couple of 'anti-gunners' at work and if any of them asks me if I'm now carrying my gun in the car, I wouldn't even bother to give them an answer...it's not something they even need to know.

Most anti-gunners live their lives out of fear...fear of the unknown and fear of that which they can't control. To them, as a gun owner, I'm already both...so why purposefully change their fear to paranoia just by answering their question?

ilfishin

I don't like this
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    (A) subject to the United States Department of Homeland Security's Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards issued April 9, 2007; and
    (B) licensed by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission under Title 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
    (A) a public utility (as defined in IC 8-1-2-1) that generates and transmits electric power; or

Am I reading this right? As a Indianapolis Water employee, I can NOT have a firearm locked in my vehicle at work?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    That is not true. The law prohibits the enforcement of a rule on employees. Not exclusively Indiana resident employees, any employee.

Indiana recognizes all other handgun carry licenses/permits and you do need one to carry or transport a handgun in any fashion (with very narrow exceptions.)

You could also qualify to apply for an Indiana License To Carry Handgun since you are employed here.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

This is right on. :yesway:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

Am I reading this right? As a Indianapolis Water employee, I can NOT have a firearm locked in my vehicle at work?

Yep. I guess they think terrorists can come there and poison the water. Don't feel too bad. I can't take mine to work either.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Yep. I guess they think terrorists can come there and poison the water. Don't feel too bad. I can't take mine to work either.

Bad thing about IL fishin's situation working for the water company is that their office can't be reached without driving through one cesspool or another and it's right in the middle of what I would be considered an "elevated awareness" area.

I feel for you IL Fishin... good luck and stay safe!

coda80

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    this law means nothing really. its not a win for gun rights.

Before law...handgun in glove box. nobody knows. don't want it to get stolen.

After law...handgun in glove box. nobody knows. don't want it to get stolen.

the company i work for is anti gun but my vehicle is just that... MINE. the only thing this law does is keep them from using the word gun in your termination papers.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Employment At Will

Jeff just quit asking question about it or they will just fire you for no reason at all, follow the law and if they fire you for having a gun sue them, remember Indiana is a right to work state and you can be let go for any reason.
    the correct terminology is Employment at will. That's what my Lawyer told me when I tried to sue one of the companies that I worked for. It's tough to win in Indiana unless the company fires you and you can prove discrimination bsed on one of the Federally protected groups, like age, race, religion, ect. So unless you are an over 50, non-white, non-Christion, and gay...I would not let my employer know I kept a gun in my car! :dunno:

Top Bottom