• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Hey guys. I'm REALLY new around these parts, but I wanted to pick the collective brain for any additional insight. I'm looking for a new carry gun and I've kinda got it narrowed down to 3.

1) Taurus 709Slim. Its small. And cheap. But not bersa/kel-tec cheap. I know alot of people have put thousands of rounds through theirs, but overall there seem to be a number of issues one way or the other. Downside, its 9mm. I shoot alot of 40 and would love to stay in that size.

2) Glock 27. Preferably used to slightly lower the damage to the wallet, and when used they're still in great shape. Its relatively slim, has a great rep, and I like the trigger safety.

3) Walther PPS. As with the Glock, I want to stay in the .40 range and it has the size, the trigger safety, and is .40cal. Downside - its a tid bit pricey.

I've heard a few guys complain about the PPS not being as concealable as the Glock due to printing issues of whatever. As I am only 5'9, 160 lbs, I'm not really hiding ANYTHING and my clothing is large object prohibitive.

That said, thoughts? Comments? Brilliant Ideas? Used Glocks to Sell? :draw:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    It sounds like you've narrowed down your choices and just need to pull the trigger (I know, baaaad joke).
    You have to decide what gun fits in with your lifstyle and line of work, what you can afford (in ammo also), how you'll carry it, and whether it just fits your hands.
    Go to a range that rents these pistols and give them a tryout. Enjoy the process.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I wouldn't be too quick to bypass the Bersa 9. While, I've read of issues with the 380 and to a much lesser extent, issues with the 45, I have heard nothing but good about the 9UC and 9HC. My first hand experience with the Bersa's has been that I have a Bersa 380, 9UC and 45UC. I have had no problems with the 380 at all. The 45UC had some break-in issues like an occasional FTF, but those are largely going away now that it's got about 200 rounds through it. My 9UC is my daily carry weapon and has been flawless from the first round fired. I bought it new and have put about 1000 rounds through it without a single issue.

That said, you can't really go wrong with a Glock though. There's a reason that they are held in such high esteem and I wish I had found the table at the last 1500 that was full of $325 used Glocks. The nice thing about buying a used Glock is that if you decide you don't like it, you can usually sell it for the same price you bought it for.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I checked out the taurus 709 slim yesterday at a buddies shop .

I am getting one as soon as possible ...

havent shot one yet but that thing is SWEEEEEET
    My buddy told me it shoots even better .

It will soon be my new carry gun .:patriot:

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Look at the SA XD40sc or the XD9sc No problem concealing them. All you need is a good holster, gun belt and dress properly.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    current setup is a Taurus 24/7 pro in .40 S&W.

Its a Full Frame gun, not easy to conceal, but damn nice to have on the bedside table... and the steamer trunk half full of .40 makes me not want to switch to 9mm. (although it would give me an excuse to fill it ALL the way up).

9mm does have its advantages for sure, especially in a single stack config like the PPS or 709. Thats definitely what I will be getting for my gf, but I'm not so sure about myself.

bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    also.
    I'm not a large man. I'm only 5'9" and roughly 165lbs that is mostly muscle, so the clothing I wear tends to be rather "form fitting." INWB in the best option, but did going concealed make you change your wardrobe at all?

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    /me is a big fan of the Glock.

If it's your buddy's shop, won't he let ya try out the guns? Won't know for sure until you try each one out, at least a thousand rounds or so... :-p

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    also.
    ...but did going concealed make you change your wardrobe at all?

I'm 5' 7" at about 185 and sometimes carry a full size 1911 IWB. The only change I made to make that work was going up one size in jeans and getting a good gun belt/holster combo. I'm shaped a bit different than you, but can hide the 1911 under a t shirt very well. My 9mm hides even better, but I usually wear that one OWB and just wear an untucked shirt.

I also sometimes wear a Shabak jacket over a shirt which hides things pretty well. Other than that, I have not changed my wardrobe much.

bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    i've yet to find a range that will allow rental of a pps or a 709slim.

hell. i cant even think of any ranges that rent guns either, but then again im new to the Fort.

Top Bottom