New options with the rifle rules for deer hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Many people are planning on doing it. I get several people asking about it in the shop each day.

The big advantage is longer shots. Typically, even the best shotgun/slug combos will get you out to about 150 yards. With a rifle, you can easily double that. The secondary advantage I hear most often is the shoulder saver. Shotgun/slug will beat that shoulder up. Rifles have a crisp recoil and don't hurt as badly.

Make sure you read up on the rules. Only certain calibers are allowed, only ten rounds (non-fmj) on your person, and it must be used on private land.

Edited - (Changed capacity to 10 rounds and "soft point" to non-fmj. Haven't looked at the law specifically but covered the basics.)

Last edited:

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I'm not planning to use one. Where I hunt my max shot will be 75 yards, so really no need to spend money on another gun at this point.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Do the polymer ballistic tips count as "soft point?"

Yes, and I believe the round count restriction is 10 rounds, not 5.
    The books are not out yet. Consult them before you go out.

I plan to use a new Mossberg model 464 in .30-30 Winchester, just because I can.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I will absolutely be using my .308 this year! The best spot on one of the places I hunt is a tiny thicket in the middle of a field surrounded by timber. 360° shot opportunity at what was marginal range (90yd) is now going to be a chip shot.

When I really want to get close-in, I use my bow.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm curious about the round restrictions and the penalty for violations? How will they check?

No intention of violating rules, but to my knowledge we have never had round count restrictions before.
    The paranoid in me thinks that entering the woods without enough rounds to fight my way back out seems like a bad plan?

Invasion.jpg

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I plan on using several different rifles. Hopefully I'll buck out in archery, but if not I'll have the 243 b/c it's a tack driving, needle threading SOB. Plan on using a 300 blackout too. My oldest (9) will be hunting this year and with the adjustable stock and light recoil of the 300 I'll be a good started for deer.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Range is nice, but pinpoint accuracy is also a big plus. My 6mm and my 308 norma mag both shoot well under an inch at 100 yards, quite an improvement over my 44 mag!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My choice for this season offers no advantage.
    It is a single shot and my area does not offer long shots.
    I could kill every deer just as dead with a smoothbore 20 ga slug gun.
    Gun shoots just over an inch at 100. I have more accurate rifles I could use.

But they are not Ruger #1's.

:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My rifled bore 870 was tuned and put slugs right on the money.
    Slugs were hard on the wallet and shoulder, but the accuracy was there year after year.
    The gun shot so well...............it was a "given".
    So good and repeatable it factored itself out of the equation. Some folks think that means one has "arrived".
    All that was left to do, was hunt.
    It (my old 870) became nothing but a tool. If you don't have monster bucks to go after..............it gets pretty boring IMHO.
    Choices can keep things a little exciting, or add style ;)

My hunting bud bought that rig off me. Still has it. Went to .35 rem trimmed, likes it better.
    But calls the old Remington pump "ol reliable".

Even he got bored dumping deer with it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have several options but will primarily use my Kimber .300 WSM until I get my buck. After I get my buck or in the late doe season I will probably take my K31, Marlin .30-30, or Finnish M39 depending on whatever strikes my fancy any given hunt. I may hunt with my G20 a bit too.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am in for a some change this year. I came across a like new 1978 Marlin 336 in 30-30 years back I bought hoping one day the laws would change. I am really excited to try it with the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I also picked up a new Ruger American in .308 for a few places that have some longer distance corn field shots. There have been a few times over the past few years I have had a nice buck out at around 250 yards and the good old H&R handi in .44 mag just wouldn't have reached out that far.

With that said, I will always keep that H&R Handi-Rifle with the heavy barrel. That thing can shoot Hornady XTP .44 bullets in a 1 inch group at 125 yards all day long.

That still leaves the TC black powder gun to add to the mix. I enjoy having options, adds to fun of it.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    i plan to use my 30 carbine.. cause i can.. nothing like taking an anemic gun into the woods to hunt deer :) 'MERICA!!

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Is anybody planning on using rifles this year for deer hunting in Indiana. If so what are the advantages?

Yes, I already own a 30-06 bolt action for out-of-state hunting and all of my in-state hunting is on private ground... versus my rifled 12 gauge with sabots, switching yields 4x the accuracy at 1/3 the cost even though the opportunity for a 100 yd plus shot is rare.

The accuracy/humane kill aspect alone does it for me.

Top Bottom