New options with the rifle rules for deer hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Angled front screw, flat bedding surface, iffy bbls (the old 77's)...............they look nice in lines, but many had plain wood and that red pad didn't do squat for recoil.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Angled front screw, flat bedding surface, iffy bbls (the old 77's)...............they look nice in lines, but many had plain wood and that red pad didn't do squat for recoil.

I actually like that angled front action screw, and it seems to help with stability, although I went ahead and glass bedded it just for a little more stability.
    As for the barrel, mine seems to be one of the really good ones, because two of my loads (Sierra 180 grain spitzer Pro-Hunter and 165 grain Barnes TTSX), both backed with a near max charge of good old IMR 4831, will plop five just inside 1" @ 100 yards.
    I have to agree about that butt pad, though, and I took care of that by putting a Kick-Eez on, which works so well that I can now shoot off the bench all day with complete comfort and no bruise.

Jtrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2016
    Fountain county
    So I just checked the DNR website to see about using. 40 s&w and you can which iis cool because ii usually carry my glock 23 in deer season, I wonder if the ten rounds on your person applys to handguns or just rifles?

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So I just checked the DNR website to see about using. 40 s&w and you can which iis cool because ii usually carry my glock 23 in deer season, I wonder if the ten rounds on your person applys to handguns or just rifles?
    The way I read it the 10 round limit applies to the new .243 - .308 rifle rules only.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The way I read it the 10 round limit applies to the new .243 - .308 rifle rules only.

There has been no round count limit with any handgun or handgun caliber rifle up to this point, so you're exactly right.
    I've been carrying my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt on me as a secondary in case a coupe de grace is ever needed, but I'll have the option of carrying my S&W 10mm with this change.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Round counts don't bother me. I'm used to limitations that allow a rifle to hold no more than 5 cartridges and my wife even thought that was too many when I went hunting in South Dakota. I haven't looked at the law, so is the 10-round max refering to holding capacity or possession capacity? It seems kind of silly to limit possession to 10 when most boxes of rifle ammo have a count of 20. Go figure!

I'll just stay with my 308 or 30-06. I was thinking about getting a 300 WIN Mag but then I looked at the ballistics for the 300 Dakota and was impressed but not nearly as much as when I looked at the 30-378. I once read the 30-06 could be loaded up the 300 Mag capacity if the rifle was newer than the 1906 era. I tried it its performance was excellent even though it kicked like a rabid mule. Hopefully other calibers will be allowed next year such as 257 Roberts, 25-06, 7mm-08, 7mm Mag, 280 REM, or 338. I'd rather use any of those over a 243 or 300 blackout. I think the people that placed the restrictions on the bullet diameter only must be rather obtuse.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Possession limit.
    You put all 10 in your AR10 mag and dump it while walking way back to stand in dark.................

Think people management and not ballistics. This is a 4 yr test period.

If you studied how this law came to be, and was later clarified by another agency...........you'd know that you wouldn't be getting the .257 Roberts and other stuff next yr.

The legislature originally named 5 cartridges, one .24 cal, the others .30 cal. But they did not give proper names. IDNR later made clarification, as the bill had already passed and was law. No doubt due to perceived limits on ammo afield, types of ammo, and private land only.

Neither the legislature nor DNR gets full credit for the law, so they don't get full blame either.

If people can't open a box of ammo and pull 10 or less rounds from it before walking away from the truck............they need not be in the field.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    If one needs more rounds then one needs to practice shooting a little more to make sure the gun is sighted in properly or know their limits.

Top Bottom