• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I added a BSA 40mm red dot scope, and a UTG 5 position collapsible vertical for end grip. Just waiting on my flash suppressor.

001-8.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    nice:yesway: I want an su 16 for my trunk gun. how does she shoot?

She is dead on. I was not real thrilled with the factory sites. That's why I went with the scope. I added the for end grip, because the balance was a bit off. It's only 4lbs. unloaded. Hopefully I can get it to the range again soon. Overall I have been very happy with it.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I've had a couple SU16s. They are good shooters, truck guns for sure. I was slimming my herd when I sold them and a few other things.... still slimming for that matter.

The factory sights are not worth their weight in plastic and metal; but, with a hard knocking scope it is worth the pennies spent.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Now to get it to the range and post some pictures of groups and preferred ammo!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll be taking it tomorrow. I'll be trying Federal bulk, Remington yellow jackets, and Remington sub-sonic. Already found out that it hates CCI mini-mags.

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    very nice keltec you have there.does anyone know if there are any shops on the southside that carry this gun? or is this one of those special order guns?

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    I just picked one up and I love it so far. I've only shot two mags through it so far using Winchester bulk ammo. No feeding problems so far. The factory sights are okay, but it wasn't sighted in at all. Shot about 4" high and 5" right at 25 yards. But it seems pretty accurate. I was laying prone tonight with sandbags and it put all 26 shots in a 1.5" with open sights at 25 yards. It would be nice if the stock was angled a little more to help me line up the sight picture. I've heard they make an AR pistol grip conversion for it but haven't been able to verify that yet.

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    very nice keltec you have there.does anyone know if there are any shops on the southside that carry this gun? or is this one of those special order guns?
    Usually don't do this but I'll throw my hat in the ring. I have one in my shop. Indy Trading Post 159 E. Southern. Corner of Madison and Southern. Come on in and take a look.
    Thanks

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They do sale a pistol grip stock. I contacted Kel-Tec, and they said $159. I'll pass because I paid $390 for the rifle. Scope was $50, flash hider was $12.95, and for end grip was $19.95. I'm still trying to see what ammo functions good. So far I have had terrible luck with CCI mini-mags. Surprising, but every gun is different. I had to take the mag apart, from all the wax that CCI's have on them. I have about 400 rounds through it so far. The factory sites are horrible I think. The scope makes it dead on though. Nice little plinker for the price, I think. Considering AR-22's run around $500+. I'm taking it to the range today, I'll post pics and give details of how things went. :ar15:

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    180   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy
    I'm not getting a pistol grip stock any time soon but will think about it in the future. I was able to pick up my rifle for about $200 so I don't have too much invested in it. I'm buying a few more mags for it and those are $25 a piece. For now I'll be happy with putting a scope on it and plinking away.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm not getting a pistol grip stock any time soon but will think about it in the future. I was able to pick up my rifle for about $200 so I don't have too much invested in it. I'm buying a few more mags for it and those are $25 a piece. For now I'll be happy with putting a scope on it and plinking away.

Yeah...pistol grip sounds a bit pricey. Could always go with the forend pistol grip!

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice looking rifle. Congrats on the aquisition.

Does it feel strong and well made enough for tough field work?

I had thought about a Keltec .223/5.56 pistol or rifle. I always thought that platform would also make for, a nice SBR.

I wouldn't worry about the pistol grip, so much. One is nice, but I would think, not so important on a .22lr rifle, for that price. But to each their own.

How does it like CCI Stingers? I always like that round. Good rat stopper, in the old days on the farm.

Is there a way, to put a reliable set of aftermarket iron sights on the SU22?

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not believe you can buy aftermarket sights. The forend pistol grip made a huge difference. The gun is so light, that it had horrible balance. The grip helped my grouping a lot. Was going to post a pic, but had to share a target with my Dad because the range was busy. It hates CCI's. I have tried mini-mags, and tried some velocitors today. Both cycle horribly. However the Remington yellow jackets, and Federal bulk cycled flawlessly. Remington sub-sonics would not cycle the bolt properly. I took the mag apart last night, and cleaned it. It had a lot of wax from the CCI's. Overall I have been very pleased, and it would make a good gun for the woods. Or even to fold up, and stick in a back pack for a shtf situation.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I do like your vertical grip. I need to pick one up for my rifles. Does it fold out with a bipod?

Federal ammo is pretty good. I do like the Remington Yellow jackets. Who makes the velocitor ammo?

I used to stay away from bulk Remington standard .22lr loads.

Too bad about the CCI ammo. I used to use that brand almost exclusively in .22LR and .22 WMR with 100% reliability.

I have a safe queen S&W 22s target pistol, that I need to probably break in. Other than that, I don't own any more .22lr firearms.

So my experience with current .22lr ammo is very limited.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    No the pistol grip, does not have a bi pod attached. However it does colapse. It's a UTG, and I bought it from cheaper than dirt $19.95. CCI makes the velocitor, it's a hyper velocity round. I too have always had good luck with CCI. But .22's are very picky about ammo. I own five rifles, and one pistol in .22. They all prefer different ammo for the most part. That's why I try all kinds of ammo, to see what works and does not work. That's the nice thing about 22's. There is such a wide variety of ammo to choose from, and they do not break the bank to shoot. I plan on getting another .22 rifle at some point in time.

Top Bottom