• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    since you've shot both, do you really see that much difference in shooting the 19 and the 34?

I know we get in to "longer sight radius" and what not, but I almost think I like shooting a 19 a little more.

What I've noticed.... The 19 sits in my hand differently due to being shorter in the grip. It's "grip angle" feels closer to a beretta/1911 where the 34 naturally points a little higher. The difference is slight and is a non-issue if you have your eyes open. (My opinion on the whole "grip angle" debate anyway is it's a non-issue ;)). The 34 fills the hand, so I like it better from a grip standpoint, and is a tad easier to reload*. But the 19 is a GREAT blend of concealable vs shootable.

* reloads are plenty quick in the 19 as shown in the bullets fwd or backward thread

The 19 is EASIER to do the dryfire trick of ballancing a dime on the front sight. I think this is due to 1) shorter sight radius not amplifying wobble and 2) having a better idea when the sear will release w/ the std connector. This is partly due to lack of familiarity w/ the - connector. But I've ordered a std connector to try in the 34 to see how I like it.

The fixed factory sights on the 19 suck. The adjustable factory sights on the 34 REALLY suck.

Lets just say I won't be switching to a 19 for match purposes over the 34. But it will probably travel with me as a back-up gun.

If I were doing it over again, I'd buy a 17 instead of a 34. There's no real advantage, especially if I do end up preferring the std connector over the (-) connector, and extended mag releases are cheap.

Actually shooting (accuracy, recoil, etc), I haven't noticed any real difference, but until very recently I've never really had them both working at the same time to compare. :) Both are plenty accurate and controllable.

-rvb

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    RVB's light reloads not getting along with the new gun.
    picture.php

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thanks, David.

Impromptu trip to the range Saturday to test out my new sights. I installed the Sevigny competition sights (.245 front w. fiber).

Learned that w. 115s, the POI is about 2" low. Got scared I was going to have to swap for a different FS, but then I tried my 147s and they hit just about perfect. Never really seen that kind of variation before. I dont know if its the lack of up-front weight or what, but the difference was consistent.

Best groups were in the 1.5" range (10yds, standing/unsupported). Would like to have seen a little better, but I know I've got some work to do to really figure out this glock trigger (occasionally pull up/right). but I really like the sight picture with these new sights. Going to get a set w tritium for the 19.

Also ran some timing drills.
    I noticed a big difference with the 13 lb recoil spring this time compared to the stock spring last time. The sight lifted less and most importantly settled faster.

The grip goo seems to be working for now. I'm going to hold off stippling.

btw, no problems with the light 115s now w/ the lighter recoil spring.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This saga has been... well this is a family show so I cannot really express it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This saga has been... well this is a family show so I cannot really express it.

It's been a cluster for sure.
    The disapointing thing is it's June and I can finally start preparing for the 2012 season. Good thing I'm shooting a light schedule and IN State was moved to Aug.

-rvb

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You don't need a 13 pound spring. Just use the stock spring for 4 or 5 years and it will be broken in just fine. You and your fancy gaming modifications.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You don't need a 13 pound spring. Just use the stock spring for 4 or 5 years and it will be broken in just fine. You and your fancy gaming modifications.

Man, I'm such a gamer... I'll be shooting a gun that's Open-Division-legal in the Production Division at the state match!

I need every edge I can get.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    2 ejection failures at Angola match this weekend. I thought the first one might have been a bounce-back as I was pretty close to a prop. Second one there was nothing around. These I believe are the first malfunctions with my match ammo.

:xmad: -rvb :xmad:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    2 ejection failures at Warsaw today in the first 3 stages. Borrowed another G34 for the last 3 stages and no problems with that gun. ordering new sights for my G19 and I'll be shooting that gun at the IN section match. Now I just need to choose which river the 34 gets tossed into.

-rvb

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    2 ejection failures at Warsaw today in the first 3 stages. Borrowed another G34 for the last 3 stages and no problems with that gun. ordering new sights for my G19 and I'll be shooting that gun at the IN section match. Now I just need to choose which river the 34 gets tossed into.

-rvb

Don't screw up a good river. Melt in down in a microwave and then sell the metal parts for scrap.

Top Bottom