New push for vehicle emission testing in Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    New billboard campaign pushing for ?Savannah?s Law? on city?s west side | WISH-TV

Sounds like Savannah's parents failed to make sure their daughter had a safe car to drive. Want a car's emissions system checked? get it checked. No law necessary.

We had a similar thing happen with seat belts in pickup trucks. A teenage girl from a good family in Kokomo decided to cut class and party with a boy friend. In the course if whatever activities they were involved in, they crashed the pickup truck and she was killed. She was not wearing a seat belt, so the family went down to Indy and got a law written to mandate seat belt use in trucks. Since the victims were already breaking a few laws, I doubt they would have been concerned with obeying that law. I really like the family, and am truly sorry for what happened to their daughter, but I resent the law.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    Its a shame. I think an ad/media campaign telling people to have suspect cars inspected on their own free will would have been an honorable and effective cause in this young lady's honor. Shops that offer testing could offer "Savannah" coupons and gained respect and standing in their communities while offering the services at a fair price. Now, most of INGO, whether we'll consciously admit it or not, resents the family for trying to make change the wrong way. Just a missed opportunity from my perspective.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Money. And the mentality that "only the government knows best what's good for you". Figured it was only a matter of time before we had emissions testing here. Stupid ideas like that never fully go away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent 13 years in dealerships slinging parts before I got smart and moved on. I can remember quite clearly a car rolling in with the upper ball joint so sloppy the wheel moved if you THOUGHT about looking at it. It came in because the radio didn't work. They spent $350 to ship off the factory stereo to get it repaired. They passed on the ball joint. Lo and behold by the time the radio came back in, the ball joint had snapped, put the tire through the fender and sending htem off into a ditch. They wanted a refund for hte radio repair.

People are morons. I say we remove all legislation for safety features and let these morons kill themselves off to cull the damn herd.

Not that I am not a fan of Darwin but they will take some of us out in the mess this creates.

Cars are so easy and safe to drive now that so many are just not involved enough in the process of "Driving"
    Too easy to be distracted. Stereos/computers/phones/DVD players etc and so on.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If this passes, I'm ****ed. I don't think I have a single vehicle that would pass emissions compliance testing. They're safe and don't leak CO into the cab, but they sure as heck don't meet emissions.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not that I am not a fan of Darwin but they will take some of us out in the mess this creates.

Cars are so easy and safe to drive now that so many are just not involved enough in the process of "Driving"
    Glad someone else brought that up first!

The biologist in me says that protecting bad decision makers is the worst thing we can do for our species. For being so smart, we are pretty ignorant of how the world works.

Of course, the father in me aches for the loss of the kid (in this situation). But, stuff happens. We do our best to avoid the bad, but there is always risk in life.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

My thoughts exactly; I would be all for removing restrictions, but am concerned for the rest of us. Like so many other issues of government regulation, how much is enough, or, where do we put the line?

Also, I'm old enough to remember Indiana's vehicle inspection program. The General Assembly repealed it after it had devolved into a cruel joke on Indiana car owners. Either you knew someone who would pass your car after you paid the $4.00, no matter what, or the inspection stations would catch unwary consumers and claim all kinds of expensive faults that had to be corrected before they would pass the car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Glad someone else brought that up first!

The biologist in me says that protecting bad decision makers is the worst thing we can do for our species. For being so smart, we are pretty ignorant of how the world works.

Of course, the father in me aches for the loss of the kid (in this situation). But, stuff happens. We do our best to avoid the bad, but there is always risk in life.

In my lifes experience their is no pain greater than loosing a child.
    I put my kids in their 1st cars. They were safe and reliable.
    The tires were new, the engines were tuned and tight.
    The suspensions were good to go as were the brakes.
    Driving is a privilege and it is expensive. It comes with serious responsibility's.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember the old vehicle inspections and how as a young man I learned from others which places to go that would just take your money and give you a sticker so you could continue driving your loud, big rear tire with the over height bumper, clapped out muscle car.

That was back in the stone ages, today this will be another public/private gold mine where the state will set new and complex rules. Special emissions equipment, complicated formulas, training for inspectors, inspectors for follow up inspections of the inspection stations. I doubt that anybody except the large well connected stealerships will be allowed to do the job, fees similar to what they usually charge. It will all be covered in the cost of the new stickers which we will all pay for. Another tax on the public to enrich the connected few.

Always follow the money

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    TLDR most of the thread, skimmed the article.

This has the same problem most of the gun laws being pushed have: emissions testing would not necessarily have caught this. Literally speaking, emissions testing checks what comes out the tailpipe (at the back), it doesn't test that all the exhaust is coming out the tailpipe. The car might have passed emissions testing just fine with exhaust leaks like that. OK it might have caught it if the leak were ahead of the O2 sensor or bad enough before the cat to throw the rear O2 sensor off. Either way, emissions testing absolutely does not test air quality in the cabin.

I understand the point of emissions testing but with limited scope: like when I visited Jakarta several years ago: we flew in with beautiful tropical cloudless skies. Took a bus into the city and there were no shadows at mid-day. No clouds overhead, just that much smog. Most of the US is far far into diminishing returns with emissions requirements.

Safety/Road-worthiness testing might have caught it but so would paying attention to and fixing your own car! even then it'd just be a "fix it in X days or you won't be able to renew your registration". With any testing, it's quite possible for something to fail between the tests lending even more weight to the pay attention day to day argument.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So this situation happens once a year; maybe.

Therefore, Indiana has incur millions of dollars of economic drain and bureaucracy to attempt to stop it.

Yeah, that sound like a good idea.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Always follow the money

This isn't so much about money as stupid people who need to feel good and do something for the children; money be damned. Cost v. benefit wasn't considered. And given it's a grassroots effort, there's no rent seeking - yet. Of course, once it's in place then follow the money to see who wants to keep it.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I see the billboard on 10th when I go to my brothers. First time I saw it I looked at my fiance and said " that's what happens when people don't take care of their shhhh...".. I'm sorry they lost their daughter but these things are preventable if people use common sense which is apparently lacking nowadays. Too many people don't know how or just won't take care of their car. Look how many people just buy a car now wreck it within a week have for a couple months then go get a new one. These are the people who will screw us over on these things or even insurance rates. People drive recklessly and poorly maintained vehicles everyday and they don't seem to understand that your bumper shouldn't be dragging or exhaust shouldn't be coming through your vents. And that mirror isn't gonna stay with that duct tape... you'll just knock it off again when you door ding my truck in the parking lot anways.

Top Bottom