New push for vehicle emission testing in Indiana.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    These are an expensive joke on citizens. I sure hope it fails. I saw emissions testing failure when I lived in MD.

There was a minimum on how much you had to spend if a problem was detected.... failed emissions, go spend $200 on a muffler vs the $2k for new o2s and cats and, hey you pass for another yr or two. It also caused un-necessary spending as they wouldn't test if any dash lights were on, emissions related or not. Total joke. No benefit to the consumer or the environment, just to the company that ran the operation.

I'm very against seeing this here.

:(

-rvb

Dutch68

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    apt
    In OP kids died due to CO Poisoning. I'm not sure performing an emissions test on their vehicle would have presented facts that led to their deaths. Vehicle Inspection may have been more useful and parents should become more alert as to what makes for a Safe vehicle for themselves and their children.
    In closing , I am truly sorry for the parents loss...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's there to make people feel like they're doing something to protect the environment. At most it's a certification that a vehicle met the standards at the time the test was done. Most typically, it means you paid someone for a sticker that keeps you from getting a ticket for not having a sticker.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    It's there to make people feel like they're doing something to protect the environment. At most it's a certification that a vehicle met the standards at the time the test was done. Most typically, it means you paid someone for a sticker that keeps you from getting a ticket for not having a sticker.
    I worked at a shop in Laporte county and would often get people in grom lake/porter on emissions day, they typically wanted their exhaust shut up and the engine light cleared "fix the issue?" Nope, as long as it passed TODAY they didn't care and weren't going to care. Unless the counties put a 24hr sniffer on these cars it wouldn't be foolproof.

Made the shop I worked for a lot of money.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I worked at a shop in Laporte county and would often get people in grom lake/porter on emissions day, they typically wanted their exhaust shut up and the engine light cleared "fix the issue?" Nope, as long as it passed TODAY they didn't care and weren't going to care. Unless the counties put a 24hr sniffer on these cars it wouldn't be foolproof.

Made the shop I worked for a lot of money.

They used to have inspections where I used to live. The fee was only $5: 3 went to the mechanic, 2 went to the state. Many shops approved to do inspections didn't bother actually doing an inspection. They just kinda glanced over at your car as they filled out the paperwork for the sticker. $3 didn't pay the time it takes for doing real inspections, let alone the record-keeping.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    No fee in Lake and Porter County. OBD II cars ('96 and newer) just get plugged into the data port, they check the gas cap and look under to make sure there actually is an exhaust system. Can't get a license plate without the inspection.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't think emissions testing is worth the hassle. Cars today have a number of features to improve emissions. Not to mention govt mandates that are set to tighten up efficiency of catalytic converters even more in the next few years. With current technology, manufacturers can build cars to get 25+ mpg. Converters (working properly) and EVAP systems (evaporation management) are very efficient at cleaning fuel vapors and exhaust gases. I would like to see them make converters cost less to replace. Lots of people can't justify the $1200 to replace a converter until it gets so plugged up the cars performance suffers.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    No fee in Lake and Porter County. OBD II cars ('96 and newer) just get plugged into the data port, they check the gas cap and look under to make sure there actually is an exhaust system. Can't get a license plate without the inspection.
    Once they are 5 years old and older anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Emissions testing sucks.

I didn't pass because a code popped up, not enough time/miles on the sensors.
    I went through this a year ago, when they replaced my battery.
    And that battery just failed and had to be replaced again. Ugh.

Last time, I had to have Ford run it through its paces to clear the code.
    Driving it around myself wasn't clearing the code.

WTF.
    Do I have to bring it back to them again?

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I still can't believe that we got rid of testing in Floyd and Clark counties. It had been around so long I thought it would be impossible to get rid of.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Emissions testing sucks.

WTF.

Google the OBD drive cycle for your vehicle. That'll tell you how and how far to drive to run the emissions tests. When I was in school one of the teachers worked in a chicago-area emissions shop and had many stories of little old ladies that could go years without running the tests because they only ever drove 2 miles per trip to go to church and the store.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I guess I shoulda thought of that.

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle
    How to Perform a Basic Drive Cycle

Google the OBD drive cycle for your vehicle. That'll tell you how and how far to drive to run the emissions tests. When I was in school one of the teachers worked in a chicago-area emissions shop and had many stories of little old ladies that could go years without running the tests because they only ever drove 2 miles per trip to go to church and the store.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    :p
    Emissions testing sucks.

WTF.

Trade in that Ford and buy a Chevy..:p

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I still can't believe that we got rid of testing in Floyd and Clark counties. It had been around so long I thought it would be impossible to get rid of.

Had a friend who lived in Harrison County, he had a lot of vehicles registered at his address...

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom