• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Unfortunately, being a skilled marksman does not equate to being a good instructor.

Excellent point. My experience has been that when someone is phenomenally good at something it will generally make him a poor instructor as he can't comprehend or deal with people who don't have it come to them naturally and actually need instructed rather than just some help polishing out the occasional rough edge. My favorite pet peeve in this realm is that my dad was an excellent mechanic--and just couldn't wrap his head around the idea that it isn't just self-explanatory to everyone.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Excellent point. My experience has been that when someone is phenomenally good at something it will generally make him a poor instructor as he can't comprehend or deal with people who don't have it come to them naturally and actually need instructed rather than just some help polishing out the occasional rough edge. My favorite pet peeve in this realm is that my dad was an excellent mechanic--and just couldn't wrap his head around the idea that it isn't just self-explanatory to everyone.
    Teaching is a true gift and the good teachers in the firearms community truly deserve respect for their ability to convey knowledge they've either invented or repeated. I do not have that awesome gift! :):

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Outstanding!

One question on the article, how would the curvature of the earth affect a long distance shot? Something along the lines of how gravity affects shooting uphill vs. downhill?
    A lot of math goes into making a shot like that. To the point I would be surprised if they're not using GPS and some ballistic calculators to do most of the numbers work for them. Between the Coriolis effect, the Eotvos effect, and normal trig operations, plus calculating for air pressure, temperature, and wind, it's the kind of shot that really does involve a lot of luck. Even with calculators you can't just set up to make a shot like that on the fly. You either have to be set up waiting for your conditions to stabilize or taking a hail mary of a shot. Either way, incredibly impressive.

Long-range shooting (and artillery) is a math nerd's wet dream, I love it.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region

I had the same problem growing up. My dad was the finest journeyman electrician who ever lived, and everything mechanical and electrical just unfolded themselves as he looked at them. He couldn't understand why others couldn't do what he did, and as a consequence I never learned much more from him than how to change a light bulb.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I had the same problem growing up. My dad was the finest journeyman electrician who ever lived, and everything mechanical and electrical just unfolded themselves as he looked at them. He couldn't understand why others couldn't do what he did, and as a consequence I never learned much more from him than how to change a light bulb.

:yesway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm pretty sure i could have made that shot....with an M45, enough belts with tracers and a target that is kind enough to stand still....and luck.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've read a few articles about that but none of them gave much detail about the location of the shooter, the target or what was going on.

How can you identify that the guy was an ISIS member from two miles away?
    Was he making IEDs on a rooftop or was it a sniper shooting at other soldiers?

The guy had to stay still for over 10 seconds so it's not like he was running on the battlefield.

The 3,450-meter shot, which took about 10 seconds to reach its target, was independently verified by a video camera and other data, the source said.

Also curious about the "other data" thing.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I knew that eventually someone would break the two-mile barrier, quite an achievement.
    I'm just glad that yet another ISIS turd is taking a dirt nap.
    May hundreds of thousands of his ilk follow said turd's lead.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've read a few articles about that but none of them gave much detail about the location of the shooter, the target or what was going on.

The guy had to stay still for over 10 seconds so it's not like he was running on the battlefield.

Maybe a drone and or forward observers.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Wondering what kind of scope and what power magnification it has to be able to identify and pick off a BG at that range? I know it was a McMillan Tac 50 rifle, but man that is a long ways away!

Per Wikipedia the following was stated: In Canadian service, the standard telescopic sight was the McMillan endorsed Leupold Mark 4-16x40mm LR/T M1 Riflescope optical sight that has now been replaced by the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PMII telescopic sight.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] McMillan also endorses the Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 Mil-dot telescopic sight for the Tac-50.

It must have been one of the latter listed (25 or 32 power) as I doubt you could see a man with a 16 power at 2.2 mile away!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well, if it was an innocent, he has just won the ALL-TIME "Unluckiest Guy in the World" award. Lol

Kut (is has confidence the guy taking a dirt nap is probably scum)

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was discussing this with my BIL and was wondering....what type of scope is this guy using that he can even see a target at 2.25 miles away?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was discussing this with my BIL and was wondering....what type of scope is this guy using that he can even see a target at 2.25 miles away?

HST_in_orbit_620x400.jpg

Top Bottom