• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    Soooo, I made a thread a few days ago about picking up a new Springfield 1911 'Loaded' Stainless Model. It's a PX9151LP. I took it apart tonight for its first cleaning, because it appears that Springfield ships them with a ton of oil. Before cleaning, I had noticed a small scratch on the frame, near the slide stop lever hole. Didn't really think much of it, probably a small error during assembly, which is no big deal to me.

Once I had it apart, I found that it may not just be a scratch, that it may actually be a crack in the frame. Upon even closer inspection, with brighter light, it appears that maybe there was a chunk missing from the frame near that slide stop hole, and it was welded and refinished.

Hard to say.

I don't think that its a problem structurally, as the way I see it, i doubt much pressure is applied to the hole. But then again, I don't know much, and this is my first 1911.

4189610794_2ae4044162.jpg

4188848277_5e953c22a3.jpg

4188824813_9c7f27f189.jpg

4188821335_c481d88cf9.jpg

So guys...

Is this a big deal?
    Do I call Springfield and see what's up?
    Do I shoot it anyways?
    It'll totally suck sending it back to them, and I hear shipping this stuff is pricey.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yep, call em. Get a name, tx extension and e-mail address to send those hella good pics to.

Just for giggles, I'd CC the e-mail to Rob Leatham.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would definitly call them. I'm pretty sure you spent good $$$ on it and it needs to be right. Might not be a structual problem now, but what about in a few years and then something happens to it. You would kick yourself if you didn't at least try.

I'm intrested in how this turns out because I have a new Springfield 1911 on order.

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    2nd thought. Where'd you buy the gun? Might be worth saving all the hassle to just return it for another.

From a local gun show.

The shop running the table at the gun show was local-ish. I'll give them a call tomorrow first. I'd be surprised if they had any more of them, these things are somewhat hard to find.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Looks like rooled in scale or something with the steel. I would not want to pay full price for that and it should not have cleared Springfield Quality Control. That is not good.

DougBarnes101

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I would contact Springfield. Even if it is not a problem you may want to sell this some time down the road and this would knock what I would pay for this gun way down. Just my 2 cents - not adjusted for inflation.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    If, whoever you bought it off of won't exchange it, I would call Springfield. Springfield has a great customer service department and I'm sure will take care of it for you.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep, you really don't need it said again. but I'd return it.

That would be MUCH more than just a minor, cosmetic issue to me!

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    If, whoever you bought it off of won't exchange it, I would call Springfield. Springfield has a great customer service department and I'm sure will take care of it for you.

I called J&M Sales (I think it's just a couple guys with their FFL's), and they couldn't help me.

This sucks, I'm on vacation this week and wanna go shoot my new gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I called J&M Sales (I think it's just a couple guys with their FFL's), and they couldn't help me.

This sucks, I'm on vacation this week and wanna go shoot my new gun.

You might keep this in mind for your next purchase. A local gun shop would likely take that back, I know the ones I deal with would.

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    ehh if i just bought a gun with that on it even if it was a scratch id be a little pissed to say the least. unless i bought it for a decent price knowing that scratch was there. but if you think its more than a scratch its going back or if you payed a new retail price for it its going back.

:) thought id be assertive there at the end

ngonerogwu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Evansville
    ehh if i just bought a gun with that on it even if it was a scratch id be a little pissed to say the least. unless i bought it for a decent price knowing that scratch was there. but if you think its more than a scratch its going back or if you payed a new retail price for it its going back.

:) thought id be assertive there at the end

I paid 675 for it. Looks like they go from 770-850 on the interwebs. I think they had one at Whittakers for 800 a few weeks ago. So I'm not that pissed... I really can't be at the price.

4191359881_964b869137.jpg

In my defense, it's hard to see, and impossible to see sometimes. I couldn't see it when i bought it. No one that's seen the gun has even noticed it.

I'm sure it was new, it was packaged exactly the same as the other in box SA's i've seen. It had to have come from the factory this way. There's just no way I could have done this myself, so I can't imagine that Springfield wouldn't take care of it.

Oh well. I'm calling them tomorrow

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IME, Springfield will do whatever it takes to make it right. As for the outfit you bought it from, IIWY I don't believe that I'd do business with them again, no matter how attractive the price. They certainly "could" have chosen to try and do something for you; what they did was refuse to even make an attempt.

FWIW, it might be a good Karmic move for you to identify this outfit and write some feedback on this in the proper section of the classifieds here. It could save somebody a similar experience down the road.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Yea, springfield has a great service dept. the turnaround may be a few weeks, last one I sent in was to custom shop thur debbie (sweet voice girl), but with yours they will probably just swap it out for a new one, sent them copy of reciept also

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    That's a crack.

Looks like the timing is off.

The link may be stretching too, and will eventually break.

In a proper setup, the slidestop pin has hardly any pressure on it. In an improper setup, you get sheared lugs, or this.

Josh

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    That's a crack.

Looks like the timing is off.

The link may be stretching too, and will eventually break.

In a proper setup, the slidestop pin has hardly any pressure on it. In an improper setup, you get sheared lugs, or this.

Josh

I'd believe what Josh says. He's pretty well versed on 1911's, and alot of us around here respect his knowledge on them. I'd call Springfield, they'll take care of it, I'm sure.

Top Bottom