• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Unfortunately I have to contract out the serious work, I don't have the tools or the skills involved. AllenM does and he'd be a good choice for the work!

It started as a Rem700 5R Stainless. After the original barrel didn't deliver like I'd hoped I bought a barrel blank and took it to Ray Saltzman. He trued up all of the critical surfaces of the bolt and receiver, cut the barrel to my desired length, threaded both ends, cut the chamber and torqued it onto the receiver. I'd love to be able to do this type of work, maybe someday.

Man, I still have a LOT to learn about rifles, and your's is a fine example of the exciting things that can be done. You're right about AllenM, he is amazing. He's done some great repairs and rebuilds on a couple of 1911s of mine. I'd really like to build one of these, very cool.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Man, I still have a LOT to learn about rifles, and your's is a fine example of the exciting things that can be done. You're right about AllenM, he is amazing. He's done some great repairs and rebuilds on a couple of 1911s of mine. I'd really like to build one of these, very cool.

Be careful. A truly accurate rifle will ruin you pretty easily, it certainly has for me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I pulled the trigger on one of these last week, and it arrived earlier today. First impressions are very favorable; the cheekweld with the standard riser is higher than both my non-adjustable Manners T2 and McMillan A5.

I do think it is bunk that Magpul doesn't include a bipod attachment method on a bolt action rifle stock. Yeah, it takes a M-LOK bipod adapter or rail section ($22) and comes with dimples where you can drill to install a 10-32 x 3/8" stud... but this is a glaring omission from making the stock 'turnkey'.

I'm cheap and will probably end up cutting down a 10-32 x 1/2" stud I robbed off a Savage takeoff stock to work.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Mine came in last week. My barrel is to large .950 @ the muzzle. These stocks are good for up to .940 @ 5 1/2" ahead of the chamber. I do not think there is any opening up of this barrel channel. But all is not lost. It is looking nice with my .223 R700 sitting in it. I really like it. For the price it is a no brainier.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Mine came in last week. My barrel is to large .950 @ the muzzle. These stocks are good for up to .940 @ 5 1/2" ahead of the chamber. I do not think there is any opening up of this barrel channel. But all is not lost. It is looking nice with my .223 R700 sitting in it. I really like it. For the price it is a no brainier.

My .223 had a serious truck axle of a barrel on it, I had it turned down to a much more manageable profile.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My .223 had a serious truck axle of a barrel on it, I had it turned down to a much more manageable profile.

Yea not sure why I thought I needed such a large OD barrel. Mine is a 18" fluted Pac-Nor. (The same one I took to the Atterbury class a few years ago) But the good things are it is a boringly accurate & consistent shooting barrel, has minimal POI shift when I put my old 3 lbs.budget YHM SS Phantom can on it, and I do not have to pack it around or up and down hills or anything like that.

Top Bottom