• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had the same deal when we bought the conversion van. Near new Yokohama's on the back and some worn tires on the front. It is a 3500 series chev. so buying a full set for a 1 ton and pitching 2 near new ones seemed a waste.
    I matched the Yoke's and they are some really decent tires. I like them enough that the worn BFG's on my pick up were replaced this week with a set of Yok.
    There ride better than the BFG's ever did. We will see if they get close to the 60K rating. The BFG's fell way short on mileage.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    What ever you do, don't buy any Chinese tires.....I made that mistake on my car, ONCE.....Things wore out in a heartbeat......I didn't realize they were Chinese until I started having issues with them....If it's a brand you have never heard of before, ask....

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Not familiar with the KO2's but worked in a Goodyear plant for 11 years and they always held Michelins under our noses as the tires to beat. Based on what I've seen in side by side comparisons with the Goodyears I've been buying Michelins ever since. Just be sure and get a tire rated for your vehicle and use regardless of the name on the sidewall and you'll be much happier in the long run.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    JMHO, I would put 2 new ones on the front, and rotate the current 2, to the rear .....

Agreed. This is the appropriate plan.

Used tires have very little value; I wouldn't even bother with trying to sell them.

I would buy 2 new tires and have them installed in the front and place the present front to the rear. In 6 months, have your tires rotated and get the new tires rotated to the back for better traction in the winter. What condition and size is the spare?
    If it is new, maybe you can get it into the mix and only buy one matching tire.

Anyone advocating putting new tires on the front and older tires on the back is giving downright dangerous advice. Having more traction in the front of your vehicle than the rear greatly increases the chances of putting the vehicle into a spin. This is physics and applies to all vehicles regardless of style and drive configuration.

this is the correct advice for only two tires.

2 new tires on the front rotate the decent old tires to the rear. BUT if it is automatic 4wd any more than 1/4" difference in the tread thickness (new tire vs old) it can cause issues with the 4wd
    The size difference between new and old tires of the same spec size shouldn't be a problem for current 4wd systems. Again, don't put new tires on the front.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    New tires on the rear. Don't put old ones on the rear and new ones on the front. You'll end up with less traction on the rear and might end up in a ditch if the rear end slides out on you in a curve.

That said, I would go with 4 new tires. I'm a fan of Goodyear Duratracs.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Do you drive a red truck? If so, that would explain the guy I saw smokin' his tires on the road the other day in the middle of the day...the one that made me ask "what the heck is that idiot doing???"

:laugh:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What size tire? I'm looking for a couple well used tires to hold me over a bit on my truck and even out the wear of the 2 that still have decent tread left...

Of the options, I wouldn't do number 1. I would do number 2 or 3. Definitely do number 3 if your vehicle is 4wd and you aren't confident that you will ALWAYS turn off 4wd before hitting pavement...

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Well after a month I finally was able to get some new shoes! I went into DiscountTire, after talking on the phone twice during the day and making sure they had the Michelin A/T2 in stock. They were the cheapest seller I could find, so I headed in, paid the amount, and waited. I enjoyed a good cup of coffee and an hour later my truck was ready. I jumped in and took off as I wanted to drive to the other side of the parking lot and do a closer inspection. Upon initial looks everything looked great, except one thing, they were the wrong tires!!! Somehow they put Michelin Defender M/S on, so back to the store I went. I got in, talked to the manager, and gave them two options. Either replace them with the A/T2 or give me a decent discount on the M/S considering they had completely failed. In the end I kept the M/S and they gave me over $100 off. Not too bad even though I'm still unsure if I made the right decision. 4 new Michelin 70k tires for a little less than a grand seems like a decent deal. Thanks everyone for your opinions!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Don't forget to report back on how they do in the rain and snow. I'll need tires in the fall.

good luck and enjoy the new tires.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    We had some installed before winter last year. Have about 10k on them. So far they have been great tires for us. Traction is good in wet, never got any real snow this past winter so I can't really comment on that.

aturk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Just for reference, you can find decent used tires on ebay. It sounds a little sketchy, and normally I wouldn't suggest anyone buy used tires, but I've had good results.

My dad's beater car is an 03 Acura TL. One of the Michelin's he had on there developed a big bubble in the sidewall at about 50% tread left. Not sure how much longer the car was going to run for, I measured the tires, and bought two used tires (ebay sellers will give you tread depth measurements in the ad) from two different sellers (might take a week or three to find used tires in the size you want, with the tread depth you need). He had those used tires on for 20-30k without issue.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have the Defender M/S on my wife's Honda Pilot (put them on back in Oct) and had the predecessor to this specific tire on for the 60,000 or so miles before that and they were great.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Hope the tires work well for you!

My experiences with DiscountTire have all been similar bait-&-switch fun, where they say one thing on the phone but don't follow through.
    While I know not all of the locations are the same, everyone I've been to has been...

I wouldn't pull in to a DiscountTire if all 4 were flat and I was trying to escape a zombie hoard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom