• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zqdime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    So I've had my CCW permit for a while now but haven't carried until today. I am still debating what gun I want to buy to carry regularly but wanted to get a feel for carrying in general so I carried the only handgun I have at the moment which is a sig mosquito. I used a very basic IWB holster by AKAR which concealed the gun great. I carried behind my right hip which was ok comfort wise to walk around with. But not even close to being comfortable while sitting in a car seat driving. My question is how do you guys that carry full size or even compact guns like a g26 everyday do it? After today I'm thinking a small pocket gun is what best suits me.

zqdime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    I do have an outside the waist band holster too and I've carried that way in the past but I'm not really comfortable open carrying even though it is perfectly legal to do so.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Good holster makes all the difference. Some also carry right between 3 and 4 o'clock when driving, you may find that more comfortable. Or you may find a sub-compact fits you better, as you indicated above. Before you get stomped on too badly here, I'll remind you that your little pink piece of paper is a License to Carry a Handgun (or LTCH for short), not a CCW permit. You may choose to carry your weapon concealed or not, however you wish. (Assuming you are in Indiana, your location doesn't say.)

slmlrd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    There are going to be a thousand correct answers to your questions. Personally I carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have been though too many holsters to mention and a few different guns. I have had my permit for 20 years. Its all a matter of personal preference. That will take some time and experimentation to see what you like. The fat guys will recommend owb holsters. I have a few more years of iwb before I am forced to switch.
    I also have a Walther PPK which I tend to carry more in the summer. It is smaller and flatter and more easily concealed in shorts and a t shirt.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    IWB leather works best for me, and they really need to have a sweat shield to protect your skin from the gun. Other than that it's just going to be moving it around to a spot that's comfortable to you.Odviously the smaller or skinnier the gun the better for comfort.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    There are going to be a thousand correct answers to your questions. Personally I carry a G26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have been though too many holsters to mention and a few different guns. I have had my permit for 20 years. Its all a matter of personal preference. That will take some time and experimentation to see what you like. The fat guys will recommend owb holsters. I have a few more years of iwb before I am forced to switch.
    I also have a Walther PPK which I tend to carry more in the summer. It is smaller and flatter and more easily concealed in shorts and a t shirt.

:rolleyes:

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    This fat guy recommends OWB. Why the eye roll. Just about any fat kid like myself shys away from IWB due to lack of comfort.

1. just giving him a hard time.
    2. It's not necessarily true.

I'm a big ole fat guy and I carry IWB 95% of the time.:dunno:

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Carrying is a serious commitment that should be treated as such. An investment in high quality gear will go a very long way to help you determine if this is a commitment you want to maintain. A good belt and holster to fit YOU and the gun that YOU like is what YOU need to keep in mind. I personally carry a full size .45 in an IWB Milt Sparks Versa Max ll at 4 o'clock and a Sparks double mag carrier at about the 6:30, hanging a a Sparks 1 1/2" belt. I am so used to it that I don't even notice. You are on the right track, ask questions, evaluate and if possible, look at all of the diferent rigs you can. Best of luck in your quest and safe shooting!

devildog178

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Henry Co
    I carry my Glock 26 in a Blade Tech IWB holster most of the time. I occasionaly carry it in a ankle holster if wearing boots. Pocket guns are great to carry but you will sacrifice some power

zspeed130

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Indy, South side
    The short answer for me always is; If you need to carry something uber small so that you carry then fine. However I am 5'9" 175lbs and carried a full size glock 45 in a comptac C-tac for 2 years before I got smart and went with a g-17 and now, when I am going for ultra concealment a G-26. It is just something you have to #1 get used to and #2 live with. It's a small sacrafice. That said once you get used it you will be surprised how you almost forget it's there.

Z

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Glock 27 IWB with a Galco King Tuk. Most comfortable rig I have ever carried. The MTAC, or Crossbreed Super Tuck should be the same.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    IWB or OWB can work but both will take getting use to the feel. Adjust position and so forth. I carry in the four of five o'clock position in the waist band often and it has been comfortable for me. Appendix carry is a possibility for some. Those of us blessed with a large belly maybe not.

I suggest carrying as large a gun and possible. Pocket guns and small framed guns are really difficult to shoot well in any circumstance. If the momment of truth comes I want a gun in my hand that I have total confidence with.

Carrying a gun is first and foremost to be comforting not so much comfortable.

Top Bottom