• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well i havent actually started reloading it yet. But at the 1500 coming up i want to buy the stuff i need to get started. I do reload 9mm and i know that .223 will be a bit more time consuming. I just have a few questions.

Im making my list for the 1500. I just want to check with you guys and make sure i have everything. I need .223 dies, some more brass, bullets and powder.

I just need some suggestions on powder and bullets to buy. This ammo is just for target and SHTF stash so i dont need any super bullet.

I was also wondering what kind of cost efficieny i can get for reloading .223. Right now i have alot of steel cased ammo that works great in my gun. Would it be better for me to buy another 1000 rounds of the steel cased stuff? Or buy the stuff to reload

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Beat me to the punch Andrew.
    Buy your brass from Aszerigan here. Good prices and a good person to deal with. Plus you'll know your getting what you paid for.
    You'll save money by buying brass once fired over new.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Honestly, I would just stick will steel in your case. If you have to buy brass, that adds a considerable cost unless you buy once fired brass. Besides dies, powder, primers, and cases. You will also need a case trimmer, case lube, and a chamfer tool. I'll be reloading .223 myself soon and have been doing my research. My .02

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yea i dont have any of that extra stuff. Plus my life is a little time constricted right now also. It sounds like i should just stick with the steel cased stuff now.

I have been shooting nothing but Brown Bear but i can get Silver Bear for 6bucks more per 500. Is the Silver Bearn any better or should i just stick with the Brown Bear?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yea i dont have any of that extra stuff. Plus my life is a little time constricted right now also. It sounds like i should just stick with the steel cased stuff now.

I have been shooting nothing but Brown Bear but i can get Silver Bear for 6bucks more per 500. Is the Silver Bearn any better or should i just stick with the Brown Bear?

If the Brown Bear functions fine I would stick with it.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Honestly, I would just stick will steel in your case. If you have to buy brass, that adds a considerable cost unless you buy once fired brass. Besides dies, powder, primers, and cases. You will also need a case trimmer, case lube, and a chamfer tool. I'll be reloading .223 myself soon and have been doing my research. My .02
    Don't forget to add a case gauge as well, they are worth their weight in gold.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You left primers off your list. Also if your"stash" is for shtf why wouldn't you want to get a decent bullet? Find out what shoots the best in your rifle and then load your stockpile with that recipe. Sierra 69 grain matchking bullets shoot well out of just about every 223.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was figuring about $200 per thousand using once fired brass, M193 bullets, and military powder from Wideners. Seems like you can buy M193 delivered for around $300/1000 if you shop around.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was figuring about $200 per thousand using once fired brass, M193 bullets, and military powder from Wideners. Seems like you can buy M193 delivered for around $300/1000 if you shop around.

Bullets, 55 grain Hornady for $79.19 per 1,000. Primers, CCI #41 military $36.41 per 1,000. Powder, Hodgdon Varget 1lb. $23.49. That is $139.01, more if you have to order and may a hazmat fee. All taken from Midway. Also have to figure brass if you do not already have some. If you do and you can find supplies localy. You can get started for under $150. That's half of what you will typicaly pay for 1,000 rounds of factory loaded ammo.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Bullets, 55 grain Hornady for $79.19 per 1,000. Primers, CCI #41 military $36.41 per 1,000. Powder, Hodgdon Varget 1lb. $23.49. That is $139.01, more if you have to order and may a hazmat fee. All taken from Midway. Also have to figure brass if you do not already have some. If you do and you can find supplies localy. You can get started for under $150. That's half of what you will typicaly pay for 1,000 rounds of factory loaded ammo.

Plus all the extra equipment i need to buy that i dont have before i start up. Ill look around at the 1500 and start eyeing some things. I think im gonna push this project back a little bit and just buy some steel stuff for now. Maybe when i have some extra cash saved back ill jump into 223 reloading

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

I don't want to discourage the OP because I think everybody should reload, but 1 lb of any rifle powder will only reload about 270 rounds in 223. Depending on the exact powder charge.

But on the other side, winchester or remington 55 grain FMJ bullets are cheaper than what you quoted.

As for me, I just don't pay much attention to cost. Just having all that stuff on hand is important to me.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've been reloading for a few years now and recently picked up a Saiga 223 expecting to load for it. After looking into it a bit, I just decided to go with steel cased and call it good- not enough in savings to justify the tedious irritation of rifle loading.

The round I'm going with is Wolf Black Box 62gr FMJ. It's giving me about 2" at 100, which is plenty for my purposes. Plus, I don't have to scrounge around for the brass that's been slung 10 feet from the rifle.

I might go ahead and get set up to load for it though, just in case the next election puts a crunch on ammo. Other than that, I'm sticking with steel cased factory and calling it good.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't want to discourage the OP because I think everybody should reload, but 1 lb of any rifle powder will only reload about 270 rounds in 223. Depending on the exact powder charge.

But on the other side, winchester or remington 55 grain FMJ bullets are cheaper than what you quoted.

As for me, I just don't pay much attention to cost. Just having all that stuff on hand is important to me.

I know it's not enough powder to reload 1,000 rounds but enough to get started.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

This is a good case in point. If my math is right, we're reloading here for 18 cents a round, not including brass. You can get 1000 round cases of factory for that price per round, or even a bit less.

Of course, reloading isn't all about savings if you really want to tweak your loads to put 10 rounds in a single hole. Just depends on what a guy wants his platform to do.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I have read that Winchester .224 bullets are not worth a damn.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have read that Winchester .224 bullets are not worth a damn.

Another reason to not believe everything that you read.

The 10,000 Winchester 55 FMJ reloads that I have shot over the years plus the 10,000 I have still in cardboard boxes on the shelf hopefully puts this internet "fact" to the test.

I ignore most of what I read on the internet, and don't bother to publicly dispute what I see on the forums. "They" just shout me down.

I am 60. I have been shooting a long time.I know what works and doesn't work.

I wouldn't use them to win a highpower match, but I have thousands in cans for self defense. They are perfectly useablefor SD.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Another reason to not believe everything that you read.

The 10,000 Winchester 55 FMJ reloads that I have shot over the years plus the 10,000 I have still in cardboard boxes on the shelf hopefully puts this internet "fact" to the test.

I ignore most of what I read on the internet, and don't bother to publicly dispute what I see on the forums. "They" just shout me down.

I am 60. I have been shooting a long time.I know what works and doesn't work.

I wouldn't use them to win a highpower match, but I have thousands in cans for self defense. They are perfectly useablefor SD.

I do not believe everything I read. However, when multiple people say the same thing I'll take notice, and do more research. I had some bullets given to me to try, not Winchester. But, I will make up my own mind what works for me and what does not.

Top Bottom