• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    A little bit of a thread hijack but here's my take from my experience:

average at 100 yards shooting Rem 700 with 26 inch heavy barrel.

Hornady 55gr SP 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups
    Hornady 55 gr FMJ bulk 3/4 to 1 1/2 groups
    Winchester 55 gr bulk 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups
    Armascor 62 gr bulk- What Groups? :dunno:

Any of them with the exception of the Armascor are suitable for plinking or SD. The Amrascor are ok to 50 yards but seem to lose it after that.

Disclaimer: This what I get using my rifle with my hand loads, as always YMMV

Back on topic, I pick up dies, components etc when I find them on the cheap even for calibers I don't own yet but have my eye on getting. Saves a little money in the long run and I have things on hand when I pick up a gun or decide it's time to reload for the caliber. Not so much out of the pocket all at one time that way.

I've lived through one too many ammo shortages not to be prepared and given the outcome of the 2012 elections we may see another shortage.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I've been reloading for a few years now and recently picked up a Saiga 223 expecting to load for it. After looking into it a bit, I just decided to go with steel cased and call it good- not enough in savings to justify the tedious irritation of rifle loading.

The round I'm going with is Wolf Black Box 62gr FMJ. It's giving me about 2" at 100, which is plenty for my purposes. Plus, I don't have to scrounge around for the brass that's been slung 10 feet from the rifle.

I might go ahead and get set up to load for it though, just in case the next election puts a crunch on ammo. Other than that, I'm sticking with steel cased factory and calling it good.

Im glad im not the only one that feels this way. I just plan on stocking up on as much Brown Bear as i can get my hands on. Im gonna try to get 62gr but 55 works well for me too. How do you like Wolf? Ive shot a couple mags of it and it shot fine for me. But for some reason i heard that Brown Bear had a little more velocity so i went with it.

A little bit of a thread hijack but here's my take from my experience:

average at 100 yards shooting Rem 700 with 26 inch heavy barrel.

Hornady 55gr SP 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups
    Hornady 55 gr FMJ bulk 3/4 to 1 1/2 groups
    Winchester 55 gr bulk 2 to 2 1/2 inch groups
    Armascor 62 gr bulk- What Groups? :dunno:

Any of them with the exception of the Armascor are suitable for plinking or SD. The Amrascor are ok to 50 yards but seem to lose it after that.

Disclaimer: This what I get using my rifle with my hand loads, as always YMMV

Back on topic, I pick up dies, components etc when I find them on the cheap even for calibers I don't own yet but have my eye on getting. Saves a little money in the long run and I have things on hand when I pick up a gun or decide it's time to reload for the caliber. Not so much out of the pocket all at one time that way.

I've lived through one too many ammo shortages not to be prepared and given the outcome of the 2012 elections we may see another shortage.

In 2012 are we supposed to have another shortage? If so im stockin up now and 9mm reloading supllies and 223 ammo.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Im glad im not the only one that feels this way. I just plan on stocking up on as much Brown Bear as i can get my hands on. Im gonna try to get 62gr but 55 works well for me too. How do you like Wolf? Ive shot a couple mags of it and it shot fine for me. But for some reason i heard that Brown Bear had a little more velocity so i went with it.

In 2012 are we supposed to have another shortage? If so im stockin up now and 9mm reloading supllies and 223 ammo.

The Wolf stuff I've tried has been black box and it's ran great in my Saiga. I see some good deals on military classic Wolf stuff in 55gr and plan to try it soon.

We're not necessarily "scheduled" for a shortage in 2012. But being an election year, you don't know what might happen. If Obama gets another term, I doubt you can find ammo on any store shelf.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

Don't know but depending on who gets elected there could always be panic buying. Look at what happened after the 2008 elections, after 9/11, ect. Every time the masses get a little nervous there seems to be panic buying of guns and ammo creating a shortage for us regular shooters.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Back on track to the original thread - I recommend the OP get into reloading .223. Are you saving money, yes, a little. And you only have to buy your brass once.

Not to pick on anyone, but really, walking 10 feet from your rifle and picking up your brass is really a chore?? Really? C'mon now. Besides, you can pick up all the brass cased .223 that the last guy didn't want. You'll never need to buy brass again.

Instead of buying one more case of .223 Brown bear crap, sink the money into a good set of dies and a Uni-flow powder measure. First off, having a Uni-flow is convenient for ALL your calibers, not just .223, and it makes measuring powder significantly less time consuming. Second, if there is an ammo shortage, you'll have one leg up on your friends knowing that you'll always be able to MAKE ammo in .223. They won't.

And finally, it'll let you shoot through the shortages, and be less concerned with the ups and downs of the market. Buy the steel case stuff, shoot it once and it's gone. Buy brass cased stuff, shoot it once, reload, shoot it twice, reload, shoot it three times, reload, shoot it four times, reload. Repeat.

.223 Remington (and .308) are the quintessential rifle rounds to reload. I think ANYONE that reloads should have a set of both of these dies on their bench. But that's just me. I (like Sloughfoot) have lived through the shortages while being a consistent reloader. And while all you 'tactical' guys are stockpiling your AR ammo, we're out doing what shooters should be doing.... shooting.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Back on track to the original thread - I recommend the OP get into reloading .223. Are you saving money, yes, a little. And you only have to buy your brass once.

Not to pick on anyone, but really, walking 10 feet from your rifle and picking up your brass is really a chore?? Really? C'mon now. Besides, you can pick up all the brass cased .223 that the last guy didn't want. You'll never need to buy brass again.

Instead of buying one more case of .223 Brown bear crap, sink the money into a good set of dies and a Uni-flow powder measure. First off, having a Uni-flow is convenient for ALL your calibers, not just .223, and it makes measuring powder significantly less time consuming. Second, if there is an ammo shortage, you'll have one leg up on your friends knowing that you'll always be able to MAKE ammo in .223. They won't.

And finally, it'll let you shoot through the shortages, and be less concerned with the ups and downs of the market. Buy the steel case stuff, shoot it once and it's gone. Buy brass cased stuff, shoot it once, reload, shoot it twice, reload, shoot it three times, reload, shoot it four times, reload. Repeat.

.223 Remington (and .308) are the quintessential rifle rounds to reload. I think ANYONE that reloads should have a set of both of these dies on their bench. But that's just me. I (like Sloughfoot) have lived through the shortages while being a consistent reloader. And while all you 'tactical' guys are stockpiling your AR ammo, we're out doing what shooters should be doing.... shooting.

Now you go and say this and it makes me want to reload for the 223 now. Can you make me a list of everything i need because ive gotten so much info i lose track. Im talking equipment needs. I know i need primers (small rifle im guessing?), powder (Varget), bullets (FMJ 55 or 62) any brand for the bullets?, i do have about 400 things of brass already.

So basically i want to know the equpiment i will need to have to start reloading for the .223. Right now im running a Lee Single Stage press so try to accomidate to that. I am on a budget so i dont need the super nice expensive stuff or every little tool you guys have. I just want what i need to get started

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Assuming you have the following:

Press, calipers, powder scale, chamfering tool, case blocks, priming system, powder trickler, powder funnel and brass.... You're going to need:

1) Set of .223 Rem dies (full length sizing if you're shooting an AR, Neck sizing if you're shooting a bolt gun, Deluxe Set - which includes both - if you want to cover your bases)
    2) LEE #4 Shell holder
    3) Standard 55gn Bullets - Armscor bullets are cheap in bulk (check Graf and Sons)
    4) Small Rifle Primers - Your choice of brands, but I recommend CCI's. I don't think you need to spend the money on CCI 41 mil primers, standard CCI 400's will work.
    5) Varget Powder (is a good choice)

That's it. Total Setup Cost: $140/500 rounds. Total cost for second loading: $100/500 rounds, and even cheaper if you buy in bulk.

Lee Deluxe die set: $40
    Shell Holder: Free with Lee Die Set
    Bullets : Armscor bullets, $45/500
    Primers : $3.00/ sleeve, $15/500
    Powder: Varget, 2lbs, $40 (enough to do 500 rounds)

And I will guarantee you that you'll be shooting more accurately than with Russian stock ammo.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    RCBS Shell HOLDER??

Assuming you have the following:

Press, calipers, powder scale, chamfering tool, case blocks, priming system, powder trickler, powder funnel and brass.... You're going to need:

1) Set of .223 Rem dies (full length sizing if you're shooting an AR, Neck sizing if you're shooting a bolt gun, Deluxe Set - which includes both - if you want to cover your bases)
    2) RCBS #10 Shell holder
    3) Standard 55gn Bullets - Armscor bullets are cheap in bulk (check Graf and Sons)
    4) Small Rifle Primers - Your choice of brands, but I recommend CCI's. I don't think you need to spend the money on CCI 41 mil primers, standard CCI 400's will work.
    5) Varget Powder (is a good choice)

That's it. Total Setup Cost: $140/500 rounds. Total cost for second loading: $100/500 rounds, and even cheaper if you buy in bulk.

LeeDeluxe die set: $40
    Shell Holder: Free with Lee Die Set
    Bullets : Armscor bullets, $45/500
    Primers : $3.00/ sleeve, $15/500
    Powder: Varget, 2lbs, $40 (enough to do 500 rounds)

And I will guarantee you that you'll be shooting more accurately than with Russian stock ammo.
    RCBS #10 Shell holder==#4 is for mostly Magnum cases...SEEEEE--I read your posts...Bill.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yea the only problem is... I dont have any of these
    Chamfering tool, case blocks, priming system, powder trickler

Are these things expensive? I also read that a case trimmer is useful.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yes i am reloading 9mm now. Sorry i forgot to erase priming tool. Im use the Lee ram prime syster right now but i plan on picking up the Lee hand prime at the show.

Powder Trickler- is it really necessary?

So lets see if i have everything correct.
    Lee .223 dies (full size)
    Chamfer Tool
    Pocket Cleaner

And of course bullets, powder, and primers

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Yes i am reloading 9mm now. Sorry i forgot to erase priming tool. Im use the Lee ram prime syster right now but i plan on picking up the Lee hand prime at the show.

Powder Trickler- is it really necessary?

So lets see if i have everything correct.
    Lee .223 dies (full size)
    Chamfer Tool
    Pocket Cleaner

And of course bullets, powder, and primers

I’m linking to most of what you need off a Midway’s site, just easier to show you what you may need, (and they have pretty pictures).

You don’t need a powder trickler but you do really should have a powder throw. Lee makes an ok one that’s cheap, it’s not the most durable but it does throw a consistent charge. Perfect Powder Measure I have one I use on occasion when I’m running a small batch and don’t want to disturb the settings on my uniflow.

I mostly use an old RCBS uniflow Uniflow Powder Measure Standard Cylinder that I’ve had for 30 + years, still runs smooth and is consistent but is a bit more costly.

You’ll also need a good scale to weigh the powder charge as you’re setting the powder throw.

As far as dies go start with a set of Lee’s. The question you have to answer is if you are going to reload for a semi auto or a bolt gun. If a semi auto then I would suggest this set Pacesetter 3-Die Set 223 Remington It include a full length sizer, seater and the factory crimp die. I like to put a light crimp on my semi-auto ammo to keep the bullets from setting back due to recoil, (those last few rounds in a 30 round mag take a bit of a beating)

If you’re reloading for a bolt gun that has already shot the brass you are reloading then I’d get this set Deluxe 3-Die Set 223 Remington. Instead of the factory crimp die it has a collet die that only resizes the case neck. If the brass has already been fired in the gun you’re using it in then it’s already formed to the chamber. Collet dies put less stress on the case and can improve accuracy since it keeps the case mouth straighter. There not so good for semi-autos. Of course the best of all around is to keep the above set and pick up the factory crimp die separately which what I did since I reload for several Mini’s and bolt gun. Factory Crimp Die 223 Remington

If you go the full length resize you will need to use a case lube before sizing. Unlike pistol dies that have a carbide sizer most rifles die are all steel and the case WILL GET STUCK without proper lube. One of the easiest way to lube a case is with a spray case lube. I’ve used this one on thousands of case and never a problem. Case Lube 8oz Pump I put the cases in an aluminum tray. Give them a couple of spritzes, let them sit for a few minute and I’m good to go.

As far getting a chamfer & deburing tool do yourself a favor and get a decent one. Your hands will thank you. Chamfer Deburring Tool

If you want to clean the carbon out of the primer pocket the little Lee tool will do it Primer Pocket Cleaner It’s small and hard on my hands after a few cases. I find that this one is a bit bigger and use it if I don’t have my drill set up. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/811145/hornady-primer-pocket-cleaner-small

As far as case trimming goes an easy and inexpensive setup would be using Lee products.
    Case Trimmer Cutter Lock Stud
    Case Trimmer Cutter Ball Grip (not nessasary but you'll want one )
    Case Length Gage Shellholder 223 Remington

If you have a cordless drill you can speed things up by picking up these.
    Zip Trim Case Trimmer Universal 3 Jaw Chuck Case Holder
    Case Spinner Spindle Drill Shank use 3 Jaw Chuck

One more thing a reloading block is an essential item. They’re cheap and from a safety stand point they can’t be beat since you can compare the powder levels in each case and quickly identify if any are over or under charged. Plus it makes it so much easier, fill 50 cases, check the level then seat 50 bullets. I like this one, Universal Reloading Tray 50-Round Plastic Red.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom