• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    i have bp guns and have handloaded a few shotgun rounds but im interested in stepping up to the big leagues. whats a good system for starting make your own ammunition? im looking to start with 45 acp ammo. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    An RCBS Rockchucker is a must for any setup. If you prefer red, a Hornady single stage. No matter where you are in your reloading journey, a single stage press is necessary.

If you want to jump right in, a Dillon 550c is a nice progressive to start on. The XL750s are a bit complicated for a beginner. Depending on where you are, there are a lot of people including myself that would be happy to show you the ropes.

Dies / books / measuring tools are personal preference at this point. Powders are bullet dependent so start with bullet selection. Always save your range brass.

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    already there on the saving brass. i used to just sell the brass as scrap but ive been holding onto them over the last year in anticipation for gettign ready for reloading. I can swing 400 to 600 to get something atm, should i wait until i can have more available? also do you really need a brass tumbler?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    An RCBS Rockchucker is a must for any setup. If you prefer red, a Hornady single stage. No matter where you are in your reloading journey, a single stage press is necessary.

If you want to jump right in, a Dillon 550c is a nice progressive to start on. The XL750s are a bit complicated for a beginner. Depending on where you are, there are a lot of people including myself that would be happy to show you the ropes.

Dies / books / measuring tools are personal preference at this point. Powders are bullet dependent so start with bullet selection. Always save your range brass.
    +100 on 'A' information. He and I go back a few years, and He is spot on on His information.
    For me, your first step is to obtain as many load information manuals as you can.
    The Lyman load manual ( #48, #49, #50).
    Watch for sales, E-Bay etc. on older manuals. They contain the same basic info, and safety processes as the new, higher $$ manuals in the stores.
    Hodgdon Reloading data is free on-line, and has all of the latest load data on-line. Nosler also has good FREE data on-line.

An old style RockChucker press will never let you down-If there are parts worn-RCBS will rebuild it for FREE...
    The Dillon 550 should be your next step on press purchase.=Buy once-Cry once.

As ALWAYS==WELCOME to Handloading...Bill

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    already there on the saving brass. i used to just sell the brass as scrap but ive been holding onto them over the last year in anticipation for gettign ready for reloading. I can swing 400 to 600 to get something atm, should i wait until i can have more available? also do you really need a brass tumbler?
    lso do you really need a brass tumbler
    ^^^
    Yes, you DO...

Again the Dillon #750 Tumbler is a GREAT purchase, and will outlast the CHEAP ones 10 to 1 in my opinion.
    Ask the Commercial Re-loaders what they use for small batches.??

For now, get yourself a good-used RockChucker press, shell holders for the common brass that you intend to load, a Lee Universal Decap Die (YES this is one of the FEW Lee products that I own), and a Dillon #750 Tumbler.
    Decap all of your brass and clean. They get bagged and ready for the next step "In the Journey"...

Again=HAPPY Reloading...Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You will find that your BIGGEST decision is=Will you be in this Hobby for the "Long Haul"???

^^^
    If the answer is YES=Buy QUALITY Tools==If the answer is "I'm NOT SURE", you can "Get By" with CHEAP Tools==Lee Tools.

OK Boys--Start the FLAME THROWER...HA.HA...Bill.

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I consider the minimum kit to be: wet or dry tumbler (I have a wet, Franford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler), a decent quality scale (don't go crazy here, the Franford Arsenal or Lyman sub $100 ones are fine for pistol) a quality single stage press (RCBS rockchucker is great, their Rebel kit is also great if you want a more complete setup), and a set of quality dies (spend more here if possible for some carbide RCBS dies), a cartridge check gauge for your caliber, a chamfer/deburr tool, and a priming tool. You _can_ just use whatever priming solution comes with your press but a hand or bench priming tool makes it a LOT easier.
    If you're looking to really crank out some rounds, especially in pistol calibers, you should look at a progressive. The hornady Locknload AP is well liked, or of course you can step immediately into the dillon stuff (I have a 550 and it is a big speedup from single stage). Lee single stage presses and their priming tool are great. The only Lee stuff I'd say definitely avoid is their progressive press (breechlock AP) mostly because the powder measure (lee auto drum) is horrible and adding any other powder measure is silly.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    You will find that your BIGGEST decision is=Will you be in this Hobby for the "Long Haul"???

^^^
    If the answer is YES=Buy QUALITY Tools==If the answer is "I'm NOT SURE", you can "Get By" with CHEAP Tools==Lee Tools.

Been loading on Lee stuff for years and many thousands of rounds. Never had a problem. No shame in the red stuff...lol

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Same here I been loading with lee for years. I have 3 Pro 1000 progressive presses and a Classic turet press. I load 7 different calibers each one has it own turret dies powder drop nothing shared no adjustments to switch calibers. I have loaded well over 10000 rounds and plan to do many more. I am sure whatever you choose to reload with you will do fine. I choose lee because it everywhere and you can get what you need fast and reasonable. If you have any Lee question ask me maybe I can help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like Lee turret press, lee dies, lee hand primer and lee disk powder dispenser. good manual scale and frankfort arsenal tumbler, I have load thousands of rounds without a problem. If you want to load shotgun, go with Mec

I agree. Lee makes great entry level equipment. Entry level that many never see the need to replace.

I bought more Lee equipment after the Dillon than before. The more advanced in reloading that you get, the more you appreciate having individual presses around to dedicate to different procedures and projects. Lee also listens to their customers and continue to innovate their offerings.

There are cheaper (and better for the 2A) places to buy Lee equipment, especially when Midway has a sale, but the convenience of Amazon's "get it tomorrow" is to be noted...

1678740997956.png

Last edited:

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Read about the process in any good reloading manual, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, etc. You'll have some questions I'm sure so ask on here and plenty of videos on youtube on just about anything reloading. Take your time and err on the safe side. Know the difference between calibers that headspace from the rim vs shoulder and the idiosyncrasies assciated with them, ie crimp or no crimp. Seems there are many questions on expanding the neck before seating the bullet. Measure powder on a scale and a powder trickler comes in handy too. Always use calipers to measure overall length. Any question on a load you made use a bullet puller.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Get yourself a good reloading manual and read all of the how-to chapters. In addition to learning reloading safety and basics, you will learn a lot about equipment and which tools and methods sound most appealing to you. The Speer and Hornady manuals are good IMO.

I will always recommend the Lee Turret Press. You can operate it as a single stage until you get the basics down and then engage the auto index feature when you are ready to speed up. Lee sells good affordable starter kits that provide all the tools you will need to get started.

Do your basic research and just get started. If it sticks and you really get into reloading, just accept that you may eventually want to upgrade your equipment.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    i have bp guns and have handloaded a few shotgun rounds but im interested in stepping up to the big leagues. whats a good system for starting make your own ammunition? im looking to start with 45 acp ammo. Any suggestions?

This has about everything you need except dies, primers, powder, and bullets.

You can load around 200rds per hour or more.

I have one and love it. You can change the turrets and have a different caliber ready to go in about 1 minute.

I load 9mm, 38 special, 10mm, 44mag, 45acp, 45colt, 5.56x45mm, 6.5 Grendel, 308-win all on this press.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

^^^

I run a Lee 1000. It runs well. It hiccups, but not often. Its OK for loading small batches. (500 or less rounds in a sitting) It does require careful attention to cleaning and lube to make it run smooth. She'll go sideways FAST if you neglect her.

The only gotcha on their lifetime warranty is they dont support lazy parts ordering in IN due to tax collection issues. They wont sell direct to IN residents on their website because they dont want to hassle with collecting tax and passing it on to the state.
    Before, you could go on the website, order your parts as a free warranty replacement and only pay shipping. Not anymore. You cant buy direct nor get "free" parts now.

Now you have to open a ticket, send them a pic of the broken part, and they will then send you the part free. (no shipping, so it balances out)

The only upside is lazy idiots who mash the handle blindly and bend decapping pins can no longer get free pins. (at one point you could claim up to 5 free per order) I always hated to see them get screwed on those.

Top Bottom