• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    long haul but will need to wait until i can afford to get a complete set up or buy piece by piece while theyre on sale. Complete side bar, i pour my own lead rounds for my ruger old army (6 cavity lee molds) and was curious if anyone here has experience with pouring copper projectiles for their own bullet making?
    For 45acp you can cast lead bullets. I rarely use jacketed in my 38s (only in my comped custom revolvers), 45, even 44s. For light loads you do not need hard cast bullets either.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    If your new to reloading/handloading, make a list of what you shoot and how much you shoot of each per month. That will decide what equipment you need and the dollars you need to set aside for equipment, primers, powder, and bullets. When I started loading in the early 80's a RockChucker, RCBS dies and a RCBS 505 scale was about the only way to go. Now days you can buy presses and machines ranging from $400 to $10,000. I you live near Bloomington send me a note and we can meet and i can teach you to reload/handload.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Too hard of a lead bullet in a pistol or revolver can lead to leading due to gas cutting the bullet as it is too hard seal the rear of the bore and gas passes along the bore cutting into the softer lead and leaving it behind in the edges of the grooves.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Too hard of a lead bullet in a pistol or revolver can lead to leading due to gas cutting the bullet as it is too hard seal the rear of the bore and gas passes along the bore cutting into the softer lead and leaving it behind in the edges of the grooves.
    So for 10mm, 44mag etc would 16bhn be plenty?

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I know your question was directed towards Whip, but here is Missouri Bullets opinion to your question.....
    Missouri Bullet's hardness formula explained
    That's the formula I have.

Edit: taking a closer look, I do not see where the .90 multiplier comes from. Here is the formula I have always seen.

Ideal hardness in BHN = Pressure / 1,920
    Maximum BHN = Pressure / 1,422

More info here:

Last edited:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I found the info below that explains the .90 multiplier.

Veral Smith and Col. EH Harrison both did seminal research into the BHN relationship.
    Both books are out of print to the best of my knowledge.

BHN is measured in Kilograms/Sq.Millimeter.
    The 1422 number is derived from converting Kg/mm2 to Pounds/Sq.Inch for cartridge pressure.

This conversion factor is calculated as:
    25.40 (mm/in) x 25.40 (mm/in) x 2.20462 (lb/kg) = 1,422.33

It is believed that the best accuracy is obtained when the PSI is 90% ~ 100% of the calculated requirement.
    This formula is what is published on the Missouri Bullets web site.
    PSI = BHN * 1422 * 0.9

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    I have no idea what your mechanical abilities are or where you are at. Can't disagree with the suggestion of starting with a single stage press, but I jumped right in with a progressive. If you load one case at a time it isn't that much different than a single stage.
    I will give my opinion that single stage for 45acp is painful.
    If you are near Lafayette, pm me and I can walk you through my setup.

I started with Lee and it works but is VERY finicky, especially priming and powder drops. Very glad I upgraded to a higher quality solution.

Rick
    how do i private message you, im not in the lafayette area but im also not to far to be willing to learn from first hand knowledge

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    ^^^
    Drive to Fort Wayne==It's a DEAL...Bill.
    unfortunately i dont have those privileges until after 50 messages or becoming a site supporter. i would grab that in a heartbeat :/ im contemplating being a site supporter as in the little bit ive been ive learned a lot. only had one grumpy troll so far lol

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I found the info below that explains the .90 multiplier.

Veral Smith and Col. EH Harrison both did seminal research into the BHN relationship.
    Both books are out of print to the best of my knowledge.

BHN is measured in Kilograms/Sq.Millimeter.
    The 1422 number is derived from converting Kg/mm2 to Pounds/Sq.Inch for cartridge pressure.

This conversion factor is calculated as:
    25.40 (mm/in) x 25.40 (mm/in) x 2.20462 (lb/kg) = 1,422.33

It is believed that the best accuracy is obtained when the PSI is 90% ~ 100% of the calculated requirement.
    This formula is what is published on the Missouri Bullets web site.
    PSI = BHN * 1422 * 0.9
    So by this formula full power 10mm, 44mag, 9mm +p, etc would require around 23 bhn?

Would 16BHN be enough at higher pressures? How hard is to hard as Paul stated above?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With casting, using the correct size cast bullet and the correct amount of good lube is way more importion than bullet hardness.
    Black powder cartridge shooters push bullets past 1,500 fps with bullets cast with 20 or 30 to one lead- tin alloy down 30 to 34" barrels. Thats shooting lead putty with zero leading problems.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    So for 10mm, 44mag etc would 16bhn be plenty?
    I would think you wouldn't have a problem with that hardness in 10mm, or 44 magnum.

Back in the late 80s and early 90's I was casting 45 #68 H&G bullets by the 5 gallon bucket full, using wheel weights which tested out at about 12BHN, and I tried to add some straight lead to it so I would have a hardness of about 9 to 10.

Just for the record BHN of 15 is Lyman #2, and next on the list is Linotype at #22. I don't know where to get linotype any more as printers have long since stopped using it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    With casting, using the correct size cast bullet and the correct amount of good lube is way more importion than bullet hardness.
    Black powder cartridge shooters push bullets past 1,500 fps with bullets cast with 20 or 30 to one lead- tin alloy down 30 to 34" barrels. Thats shooting lead putty with zero leading problems.
    I've shot a lot of 16bhn hard cast from my 44mag. 180gr at around 1750 fps with little to no lead fouling in the past. Now I'm using the same hardness hardcast with the polymer coating and all I'm seeing is powder fouling.

randomrambo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    USA
    For 45acp you can cast lead bullets. I rarely use jacketed in my 38s (only in my comped custom revolvers), 45, even 44s. For light loads you do not need hard cast bullets either.
    im looking to make some 45 super rounds as i upgraded my 1911 to handle the extra heat and am simply curious. will be doing the same with my fnx 45, thought about getting the 460 rowland upgrade but its cost prohibitive as compared to the 45 super round. have been using underwood 45 super ammo and loving the extra spice

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$226

1680179692724.png

Here is an inexpensive way to get into reloading.

All you will need is dies, primers, powder, bullets, and brass.
    Very quick to change out to different calibers later on if need be.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage

$226

View attachment 266475

Here is an inexpensive way to get into reloading.

All you will need is dies, primers, powder, bullets, and brass.
    Very quick to change out to different calibers later on if need be.
    I have one of those did a few minor changes and I love it. You can use it like a single stage or turret press. I prep and prime with it also. Mostly I run 270 winchester and 30-30 winchester on it. I have do 223,9mm and 32 s&W long. Easy to set up and run.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

This comes with the 9th edition book.
    Hubby decided he is going to start reloading some and we picked up this kit on FB marketplace for $200. It was still sealed in the box. Guy bought it and never used it.

Top Bottom