• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well, it works, and that's more than we can say for healthcare.gov.

It's quite obvious you have no affiliation with CGI.

Great work. It should be a HUGE asset to the gun community.

Thank you!

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    are you using mongo db or something like that on the backend.
    how often do you hit the sites?
    i wonder how you parse the sites.

i had written a quick cron/php program to text me (max 3 times/day) when i could find 9mm ammo available on some websites.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Advertise and make some money... if for nothing else, but to pay for expenses. And thanks... very cool tool.

gunwatcher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    United States
    are you using mongo db or something like that on the backend.
    how often do you hit the sites?
    i wonder how you parse the sites.

i had written a quick cron/php program to text me (max 3 times/day) when i could find 9mm ammo available on some websites.

we were lucky enough to get a database guy to help us that worked on a failed search engine in the early 2000's. He brought a ton of knowledge and we are actually running a custom "gunwatcher" version of mysql with integrate sphinx (which is how we parse 100,000's records when you search so quickly and also keep our out of pocket cost down). We also are running a lot of servers that search throughout the day. For black Friday the OLDEST data can possibly be is one hour. Most deals should be caught within 20min on average. The parsing is another program entirely written by a few other of our programmers that is several 1000's of lines of code which has data cleaning, and a ton of other useful things before it finally hits the db, which is another server in itself.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    we were lucky enough to get a database guy to help us that worked on a failed search engine in the early 2000's. He brought a ton of knowledge and we are actually running a custom "gunwatcher" version of mysql with integrate sphinx (which is how we parse 100,000's records when you search so quickly and also keep our out of pocket cost down). We also are running a lot of servers that search throughout the day. For black Friday the OLDEST data can possibly be is one hour. Most deals should be caught within 20min on average. The parsing is another program entirely written by a few other of our programmers that is several 1000's of lines of code which has data cleaning, and a ton of other useful things before it finally hits the db, which is another server in itself.

Awesome.

gunwatcher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    United States
    Servers are now checking for deals 3 times as often as usual. We were able to have the black friday items on sale from J&G, Classic, and Centerfire all on the site before their emails even went out yesterday! Hope everyone has a happy thanksgiving!

gunwatcher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2013
    United States
    Hey everyone! I wanted to open up the new beta site up for everyone here since you guys have helped so much, there are tons of improvements. Search should be A LOT more accurate on common words like M1A. We built our own custom database and the speed difference is insane. Also, we now have classifieds so you can search armslist and gunsinternational. Let me know what you think and hope you enjoy!

Search For and Find Guns for Sale Online - GunWatcher.com

steelers87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    i just joined the site, but i saw this post a few weeks ago. I check it everyday and was able to find a good deal on a gift for my father. thanks for the time and effort your team put into this!

Top Bottom