• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    i would be at work but production would stop once the power went out and we would be sent home. i would check my cb radio on the way to my parents. given the fact last time power went out in calumet city/dolton people were looting homes ,i would tell them to follow me to my place.I have enough food stocked for a week

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Well from the OP first post I wouldnt have done much, but a call to the power company and flashlight/gun check of house and peak outside. Now given the further information I would be on HIGH alert after here the messages, sirens, helicopters, etc. Here is my SHTF set up.

1. I would break out the the armory, which doesnt take long.
    2. Put wife on alert and have her "lock up" upstairs with weapons and survival gear.
    3. Command dog to go downstairs and "see who is there".
    4. My community has serveral cops, EMT, and nurses in it. I would attempt to contact them for more info, and to be on alert for a potential meet up if needed.

Wait for more developments.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I'm still trying to sleep, not sure whats going on leave better half and kids to sleep. I keep watch on the couch.

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

02:47 AM You are woken by the sound of a loud speaker coming from outside. It is a police crusier announcing that there has been an accident to stay in your homes and do not come out unless medically necessary. The "recorded" message repeats and the crusiers speed through the area is such that you clearly hear the recording at least two-three times.

03:00 AM Lights, radio's, TV, SW come on and another broad cast..

A voice comes on and states the usual that this is the Emergency broadcast, blah blah blah but instead of saying this is only a test a different voice comes on and makes the following statement:

"This is the Emergency Management Agency of (whatever county you live in) and this is a special announcement for all persons who can hear this transmission. There has been an accident which has disrupted the power and communications grids and until further notice you are ordered to stay in your homes and or places of business unless medically necesary in which case report to your nearest trama center. Police, Fire and EMS will not be able to assist you at this time. All roads in the area of this broadcast are closed to non-military or non-emergency vehicles so stay put or you will be arrested and detained. Power will reman on for a very short time, prepare yourself for a lengthy power outage and stay put."

And then after 10 minutes everything goes off again.. Dark and Static..

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Given what you describe, I would conclude the likelihood of a small nuke and probably set off in Indy as I am about 30 miles or so NE of there. So also given the direction of the prevailing wind, I would get as many supplies (food, ammo, water, etc.)as I could, round up the pets, and get the heck to our safe place which is not in the path of possible fall out, or at least not as direct a path. After that I would monitor the situation to see when or if it was safe to return and get the rest of our supplies

added edit: They couldn't possibly get all the back roads closed that quickly! And probably the police wouldn't stop a lone vehicle anyway. Many civilians would likely not even find out anything was wrong until the following day as many people go to bed early. So monitoring anything but the well traveled roads at this point would be a waste of police time and manpower.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That is pretty quick for them to impose martial law. I realize that you can't depend on the government to tell all, but if it was a nuke or even a dirty bomb I would think they would warn about that.

People will panic whether they know or not. At least a few people with a bit of knowledge could at least attempt to protect themselves. Dirty bomb in Indy and I would most likely stay put. Full scale nuke in Indy and by the time they let us know I would see ash falling so moving wouldn't be wise either.

Great, now I have to check my stock of duct tape and plastic sheeting...

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'd let my wife and daughter sleep until morning or we needed to move. I'd probably set the emergency radio on the coffee table and get some sleep on the sofa. Might take out the shortwave and see what is up. At 10PM local time, the west coast would still be up and talking. Shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes to find a news broadcast.

If I was really worried, I'd walk over to one of the neighbors: one is a local fireman, and another is a county deputy. If there are sirens going, they or their wives would know why.

A power outage and some sirens in the distance isn't exactly SHTF. First guess is a substation gave up the ghost. The wide-spread outage described is a bit more concerning, but still no reason to panic. Stay calm, gather info, and respond appropriately.

I would not count on this. Most firemen and cops go home and unless recalled could care less what happens on their off days.

watkins1988

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Indy
    first if a nuke hit indy id probably be gone already. if not i would lock and load and get as far away from indy as possible. i would head to rural areas. its just me and my girlfriend. no kids. so by car or on foot i would head west

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

05:30 AM - you wake to the sound of a chopper flying slowly about 500 feet off the ground, you can't see it, it's running dark.

05:33 AM - you hear a rumble and notice a military convoy driving past your neighborhood. You count, three Hummers, the first one is running head lights, the second and third are running side by side and have large antenna arrays of some sort on the top, then two larger troop transport trucks in single file and a civilian looking semi pulling what looks like a cargo container, two Hummers both single file with regular radio gear..

06:00 AM - The radio's, TV come on and are simlcasting a news conference from the White House. No one is at the podium yet. The announcer clears his throat as a mic check and begins, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Presi...." but stops as everything shutters and then the TV goes to the signal screen for a second then goes to snow and static...

Last edited:

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    05:30 AM - you wake to the sound of a chopper flying slowly about 500 feet off the ground, you can't see it, it's running dark.

05:33 AM - you hear a rumble and notice a military convoy driving past your neighborhood. You count, three Hummers, the first one is running head lights, the second and third are running side by side and have large antenna arrays of some sort on the top, then two larger troop transport trucks in single file and a civilian looking semi pulling what looks like a cargo container, two Hummers both single file with regular radio gear..

06:00 AM - The radio's, TV come on and are simlcasting a news conference from the White House. No one is at the podium yet. The announcer clears his throat as a mic check and begins, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Presi...." but stops as everything shutters and then the TV goes to the signal screen for a second then goes to snow and static...

Is that what is happening this Thursday?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

If i am keeping track of time right its only been about 8 hours since this has started....if communications are still this messed up.....military presence is local and the president is making a statement....i would be getting very concerned....i would have to begin looking for a way to get answers...

Are cell phones back up yet?

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Clarification..

No communication equipment is functioning.

Land Lines say all circuits are busy.
    Cell phones show signal but won't connect to the network, no text messages will send and no internet connections.
    All AM/FM/SW radios are static or dead air as if a mic is left open.
    All TV is static. Free air, cable, satellite, all static and snow or black screens and silent.
    CB's receive static and seem to transmit but even between two vehicles they can't connect.
    FRS radios won't work even when in the same room.
    Sat Phones will not connect.

Oh and even if you powered up your home any WiFi comms are distrupted..

deter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I really wouldn't be too concerned at this point. I would have slept through pretty much everything, and I wouldn't have turned the TV on until I got up. At this point I would just stand my ground, and make it appear as though I was not home.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Stand my ground weapons at the ready, as usual. After some time has gone by and if no communications have been restored I'll gear up with organized friends/family and explore the area, while maintaining distance from downtown Indy. It's heavily populated capital city and as such will be priority target of air attacks of multiple kinds. After exploring initial areas of concern (i.e. power plants, water supply, local areas of population/shopping). next decisions are made based off intel gathered in explorations.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Picking up at the 6:00 update....

For about 5 mins after the screen goes blank, I'd be doing the same thing I did on 9/11....staring slackjawed at my TV.

By this time, my wife would be awake, probably having never really gone back to sleep. I'd be working to get our gear ready in case we have to bail.

Questions...

general: Given the considerable darkness since all power is lost, can I tell if there's a glow anywhere within site, indicating a large fire?

5:33 update: What is the direction of travel of the convoy? (Please tell me it's not a NEST team)

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Answers to questions

no "fire" or light is seen in any direction.

convoy is traveling in general direction of two choppers earlier, not as a crow flies but if you live on a north south road they would be traveling north, if you live on an east west road they would be traveling east.

no markings on any vehicles so no idea what "team" it is but if you notice there are two hummers travling side by side which is odd and they have strange "antenna" arrays mounted on them. Think big honkin radar looking non-rotating structures on the top, rear of the vehicle. Sort of a boxy looking dome..

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    no "fire" or light is seen in any direction.

convoy is traveling in general direction of two choppers earlier, not as a crow flies but if you live on a north south road they would be traveling north, if you live on an east west road they would be traveling east.

no markings on any vehicles so no idea what "team" it is but if you notice there are two hummers travling side by side which is odd and they have strange "antenna" arrays mounted on them. Think big honkin radar looking non-rotating structures on the top, rear of the vehicle. Sort of a boxy looking dome..
    So, choppers headed NE. Convoy is tracking along the ground along the same general route....they're looking for someone/something. Those big ass antenna things are probably directional, they're not rotating but can be moved if needed.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    ********PUTTING HAM OPERATORS ON THE SPOT********

Let's say power goes out, and you see military choppers flying, the emergency system go off and a quick small shake of the ground.

You go inside, turn on your genni, turn your HAM radio on and start finding out what in the hell is going on.

20 minutes pass and you find out a nuclear attack just happen, in....ILLINOIS, TX, NY, FL, CA, ETC.

1) Would you go outside where all your neighbors are standing around and tell them what just happen.

2) Would you call your wife and kids and tell them to pack their stuff and get ready to move out to your BOL, or to just get in the house and get ready for LOCK DOWN?
    OR
    3) Option #2, and THEN tell your neighbors?

Top Bottom