• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    It's probably the ATF selling those things...
    suspect.gif

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Its not an NFA item until you put an oil filter on it, get it engraved and do the paperwork.

Im tempted to buy one, but despite what I just said, it kind of scares me.

Edit: Note that it doesnt thread onto the end of the barrel, I doubt it would stay put.

Keep in mind this is the agency that said paint ball gun silencers are ok, but if you remove them from the paintball marker your in violation. Serial #'s and Paper work (form 1, 4, etc) doesn't make it anything other than legal.

I understand "intent", but does the ATF agent who no longer is a tax agent but works for Home Land Security?

I would rather have 5 gallons of Hoppe's # 9 spill onto my shop floor before I got cough with that part and an oil filter attached to it.

"To each is own" obviously, but this seller is setting people up for failure.

The definition of “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24)
    provides as follows:
    The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing,
    muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination
    of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating
    a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such
    assembly or fabrication.

NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    If there is no exit hole in the for the bullet I don't think it is technically a suppressor . If there was an exit hole then it would be classified as a suppressor and would need a serial number and tax stamp to legally own.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    It's just a thread adapter intending to let you screw an oil filter onto your gun to clean it (not that that is a smart idea, not too sure)

It is perfectly 100% legal, until you decide to take a shot with it attached.

And there's a lot of people selling them such as:
    Solvent Traps, (cleaning adapter)
    I believe they were the first. Most of them are made to screw onto a threaded barrel (like the econo-can)

EDIT: Actually they are the makers of the Econo-can. No wonder that they make these. They say they are for the express purpose of cleaning your gun though obviously, but it feels like a "wink wink" sorta deal.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f277/cadiz-gun-works-solvent-trap-292830/ < Thread by someone who contacted Cadiz.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    The definition of “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(24)
    provides as follows:
    The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing,
    muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination
    of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating
    a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such
    assembly or fabrication.

So if I bolt down my rifle it is legal?
    (Slight purple)

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    This was discussed in another thread. Heres what I said....again.

"I think the higher purpose of this idea is this. In a WROL situation, who is going to be worried about NFA or the ATF coming down on you until ROL and civility has been brought back to the land. You own the adapter, keep it in your pack or whatnot without an oil filter anywhere near it. If there's ever a need for a silent shot, you should pretty easily be able to locate an oil filter that will fit your adaptor.

"It's been mentioned that the adaptor itself is what you're paying the tax for. Now I may be wrong, but since when is a thread adaptor to be considered a silencer in itself? Now I havent looked into it and dont know whether they refuse to sell the adaptor without an attached oil filter, but I dont think owning the adaptor alone would be considered an NFA item. I can purchase a threaded barrel for my pistol and its not an NFA item. I can purchase a thread adaptor for my threaded barrel and its not considered an NFA item. Why would this particular adaptor be considered an NFA item? Without owning the oil filter, theres no proof for constructive intent."

"I think the guy selling the "ECONO-CAN" knows he's selling a particular product with a particular use for maximum profit, therefore he sucks up to the ATF and serializes his product. Thereby covering his ass legally and allowing him to market said product as a poor mans NFA item.

A thread adaptor is not an NFA item, just like a bullet is not an NFA item. We all know the potential a bullet has, right? We all know it is to be used in a firearm. We all know it is the projectile, the bullet itself which does the damage! Yet still, a bullet is not an NFA item that requires a tax stamp to purchase, own or use.

Now tell me a chunk of unserialized metal with threads is an NFA item."

BTW - The dissemination of personal opinion and theories of operation are covered by our 1st Ammendment and are not to be considered pretext to "Constructive Intent".

Last edited:

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Do they make an adapter like this for a standard silencer? IE: slip over the barrel/sight fastened with a set screw? Would it be an alternative to a Pac-lite?

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    It's not smart to use a slip over barrel adapter for a can
    Most barrels, especially rugers, are not concentric OD to bore. These reference no alignment to the bore.... plus using a set screw will further tilt the suppressor from center unless its a perfect slip fit.
    Think about the tolerance band on the OD of a paclite..
    . Probably whatever the extrusion is; +/-. 005

Top Bottom