• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Bradshaw’s got 4 rings and he’s NEVER brought up as one of the goat’s. It’s a team sport. Clearly the Patriots dynasty over the past two decades might be the greatest accomplishment in any professional sport, but we’re talking about the qb position.

Bill Russell’s got 11 freakin rings but it’s always Jordan as the goat. So clearly championships isn’t everything.

I remember when Marino was thought of as Greatest...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I grant you they will all do what they can to prolong the money including types of steroids. You do realize the all the "low T" commercials are for roids of some kind. But without great genetics, proper nutrition, and exercise none of that matters and Brady has been a pioneer in that area. So any guy that excells is suspected of doping in your world?

We are a long way from the days when the Pacers played at the Coliseum, drank in a nearby bar with fans after the game, and went to work the next day. Many footballers still sit on the couch eating Cheetos in the off season.
    Of course I know what those are.

Any guy that excels? No. When a guy does things that are not normal, like; gaining 30 lbs of muscle in their late 30s, recuperating from injuries a lot better than anyone else does or has, rejuvenating their career when in their mid to late 30s, or performing better than anyone ever has.

Football is much harder to quantify these things, because with a few exceptions players health does not show up in statistics very well. First it is very much a team sport. A QB's statistics are directly affected by whether his receivers catch the ball, how good they are gaining yards after catching the ball, and how their line blocks for them. Differences in their stats one year to the next could be greatly affected by any of those, as well as changes in their physical abilities. Baseball has always been the easiest in my mind to spot things like that, because ,while a team game, pitching and especially hitting are very much individual performances. What does not change by sport though is that once a person gets into their late 30s, their bodies do not recuperate as qucikly nor as well as they used. Their reflexes are not as quick as they were. They are not as fast nor as strong. Your body is just not able to perform as well as it did.

So, until the day it becomes fairly common for players to be able to perform at a higher level that late into their careers, I will look at history and doubt they are not doing it without some kind of enhancing drugs. I think at some point the leagues will just embrace it, since they really have no way of stopping it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Of course I know what those are.

Any guy that excels? No. When a guy does things that are not normal, like; gaining 30 lbs of muscle in their late 30s, recuperating from injuries a lot better than anyone else does or has, rejuvenating their career when in their mid to late 30s, or performing better than anyone ever has.

Football is much harder to quantify these things, because with a few exceptions players health does not show up in statistics very well. First it is very much a team sport. A QB's statistics are directly affected by whether his receivers catch the ball, how good they are gaining yards after catching the ball, and how their line blocks for them. Differences in their stats one year to the next could be greatly affected by any of those, as well as changes in their physical abilities. Baseball has always been the easiest in my mind to spot things like that, because ,while a team game, pitching and especially hitting are very much individual performances. What does not change by sport though is that once a person gets into their late 30s, their bodies do not recuperate as qucikly nor as well as they used. Their reflexes are not as quick as they were. They are not as fast nor as strong. Your body is just not able to perform as well as it did.

So, until the day it becomes fairly common for players to be able to perform at a higher level that late into their careers, I will look at history and doubt they are not doing it without some kind of enhancing drugs. I think at some point the leagues will just embrace it, since they really have no way of stopping it.

Like McGuire, Sosa, Bonds... Maybe?
    Life, legality, and honesty in sports is mostly perception.
    And you're not cheating in Nascar until you're caught and who you are determines if you get caught or not.
    It's an even playing field in enhanced performance.
    Brady is great, Gronk is still King Kong and walking on 2 legs for now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like McGuire, Sosa, Bonds... Maybe?
    Life, legality, and honesty in sports is mostly perception.
    And you're not cheating in Nascar until you're caught and who you are determines if you get caught or not.
    It's an even playing field in enhanced performance.
    Brady is great, Gronk is still King Kong and walking on 2 legs for now.

Several sports opinion guys have laid out a scenario where late in the season, it Pats are heading for a playoff run once again, Gronk unretires to win another SB. His body will not take the punishment of another entire season.

IF, Brady is cheating to be so good in his 40's, why not help Gronk out? Or other players on the team?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Several sports opinion guys have laid out a scenario where late in the season, it Pats are heading for a playoff run once again, Gronk unretires to win another SB. His body will not take the punishment of another entire season.

IF, Brady is cheating to be so good in his 40's, why not help Gronk out? Or other players on the team?
    First, how do you know he hasn't? Maybe he did and that enabled Gronk to play as much as he did.

Second and more likely, loose lips sink ships. Most of the guys that have been caught were caught because someone else told on them. The fewer people that know the truth the better.

His story sounds so much like the Clemens story.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bradshaw’s got 4 rings and he’s NEVER brought up as one of the goat’s. It’s a team sport. Clearly the Patriots dynasty over the past two decades might be the greatest accomplishment in any professional sport, but we’re talking about the qb position.

Bill Russell’s got 11 freakin rings but it’s always Jordan as the goat. So clearly championships isn’t everything.

Seriously.......The officiating is almost always on the PATS SIDE of the ball. Yes I am a hater but I know whats what and see as well as anyone. Yes they have a lot going for them but they are also a shady bunch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Gronks injury's are not something you can chemically enhance if they are not already doing it.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

As a Steelers fan if one reads the boards most fans will put Ben above Bradshaw. . I am not one of them.

As far as Brady I have a lot of respect for the guy. Six rings and playing better than most guys half his age. Is he the greatest QB of all time, maybe, he is definitely in the conversation. I have always had Montana in the top spot, but thats just me. Brady in the top three for sure.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Not related to the OP, but still NFL news. Looks like they're changing the rules to allow bad pass interference calls and even non-calls to be reviewed after the Rams/Saints fiasco.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...alled-pass-interference-penalties-reviewable/

Yea, I've been watching the NFL channel and they're discussing it in detail. This may bring up a can of worms. Every call is basically reviewable now.
    I understand the intent but realize potential repercussions of this decision to change the rules.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As a Steelers fan if one reads the boards most fans will put Ben above Bradshaw. . I am not one of them.

As far as Brady I have a lot of respect for the guy. Six rings and playing better than most guys half his age. Is he the greatest QB of all time, maybe, he is definitely in the conversation. I have always had Montana in the top spot, but thats just me. Brady in the top three for sure.

Ben.......:):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yea, I've been watching the NFL channel and they're discussing it in detail. This may bring up a can of worms. Every call is basically reviewable now.
    I understand the intent but realize potential repercussions of this decision to change the rules.

There are toooooooo many rules right now.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

If I understood it correctly it's just pass interference calls/non-calls that are involved right now, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they're all reviewable. That could make for some long games. Hopefully it won't be abused, and might actually put pressure on the officials to make sure they're getting it right the first time. Okay, I'm probably dreaming on that last part. :):

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Unless they change how many challenges each coach gets, it won't change how long the games are. I think it is a good change.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    If I understood it correctly it's just pass interference calls/non-calls that are involved right now, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they're all reviewable. That could make for some long games. Hopefully it won't be abused, and might actually put pressure on the officials to make sure they're getting it right the first time. Okay, I'm probably dreaming on that last part. :):
    The games are still under control of those in power. Is this new rule a game changer? They approved it for one year. I think the "Blind side hit" is more of a game changer myself but there's always going to be a way to hamstring one team or the other.
    The open spaces of the field will always garner more scrutiny than the trenches.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Watch "ANY" Pats game and count the blatant "NON-CALL"

Top Bottom