• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So, got to shoot my friends 30-30 lever action that was his grandpas at the last PW shoot in Oakland City. Now, I am wanting to pick one up ASAP. Any suggestions on good ones, comparisons of brands, etc? Tried to find another thread for this type of question but did not see one. Really liking some of the Winchesters that I have seen like the 94s....

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Mostly just some good recommendations, maybe good places to pick some up, anything that would help. I am new to lever action rifles so I am hoping to get one as soon as I can. I know Gander Mountain has a few and I think Bradis Guns carries some too. Any useful information would be most appreciated :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, what do you want to do with it?

The Winchesters are usually less expensive (the "Ranger" model used to be $100), but harder to mount optics. For the Winchester I usually mount an XS ghostring or Lyman 66 (old school) on it after a trigger job, action job and sling.

If you want spitzer bullets look to a Sako Finnwolf, Winchester 88, Browning BLR or a Savage 99.

So, what has you so hot on underlevers? You know their downsides, right?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Slow down and check the pawn shops, gun stores. If you find a used one be prepaired to pay 300-400. Normally lots of 30-30 in the used areana.

The new ones from marlin look like plastic stocks (walnut with a tuff finish)

Look for a marlin model 39a 22 lr as they are near perfect lever guns.

I like the marlins, Winchester, savage 99, are no longer made and command a premium. There were tons of lever made over the years, take some time and save so money and find yours, No since on getting one quickly as it will cost ya, try the pawn shop route.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Lots of good lever guns out there, look for 44 mag or 45lc if you want to use it for deer hunting in Indiana. Henry's are really pretty and solid guns, Winchesters and Marlins are solid buys.:)

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Since you mention 30-30 in the op I'll stick with that. There really aren't any bad apples in the 30-30 lever arena as far as general reliability and durability. Marlin is the most common and a gun solid gun which ejects from the side and has a solid top which makes mounting a scope easier. The new Mossbergs are an interesting design which look like a Winchester but are not a mechanical copy. I have one and like it much, but have had Marlins and Winchesters in the past and liked them too. One interesting newcomer is the Rossi Rio Grande from Brazil. A close copy of Marlin the stainless steel version of this rifle is selling for under $400 new where I am. Gander usually has some of the highest prices on guns that I've seen anywhere. Shop around a bit.

win87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    elkhart in
    I would get a model 92 Winchester pre 1899. It will only go up in value. You van get it in 44-40 or 38-40 and use deer hunting in IN. Nothing better than getting a deer with a rifle over 100 years old.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Were there not issues with the Winchester 88 (but those were not dirty thirties)?

I was directing my comments to the op's mention of the 30-30 caliber cartridge and rifles that chamber it which are configured similar( exposed hammer, gate loaded integral tube magazine) to the Winchester 94 also mentioned in the op, with an emphasis on guns in current production.
    The Winchester 88 was a detachable box magazine loading rifle with an internal hammer and I didn't recall it being chambered for the 30-30.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I got into LA's and pumps when I was a kid, mostly because they were the most LH-friendly repeaters available to me. Hunting quail, cottontails, etc. with a single-shot .410 can get frustrating when you're ten and need to fill your limit so everybody at home can eat.

I've accumulated more Marlins than any other brand. Calibers range from .22 RF (39M) to .45-70 (1895G). They've all been rugged, dependable and accurate. I've taken more deer with my old 336 in .35 Rem. than all of my other rifles combined. Part of that might be because I've had it for better than 40 years and that it was my only CF "hunting" rifle for a big-ish chunk of that time. It's never let me down when I did my part right.

There were a whole lot of years when a .30-30 of some sort, usually a LA, was the single most common "deer" rifle you'd see, especially in the hands of "seasonal" shooters. IMHO, they're still a very practical choice, regardless of brand. Right now, I think the most economical option in the "new" market would be the aforementioned Mossberg. Might not have the panache of a pre-'64 Winchester M94 or the "sexy" allure of a stainless-and-laminate Marlin, but it'll keep your freezer filled just as handily at a good deal less than half the price.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I gotta say that as much of a traditionalist as I am the Browning BLR is a tremendous lever gun. It uses a detachable magazine instead of a tube which has several advantages. First it can use ammo such as the .308 ( which is much cheaper than 30-30) and others that offer much better ballistics. Second you can load it very quickly, a nice point as in Indiana you cannot keep a loaded rifle in your vehicle but you can have loaded magazines. Third, a few extra mags gives you a nice all purpose repeater that is mush faster to reload. Fourth, the BLR has a short throw lever allowing for faster follow up shots.

My Browning copy of the Winchester 71 is my favorite lever gun of all time but if I were looking for a smaller caliber such as a .30 the BLR would get my nod.

jwdecour

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    Gander mtn in Terre Haute had a nice Winchester 94 in the 30-30 for 350. This gun looked nice and was the AE model for scope mounting. Seems like a reasonable price when compaired to what some were asking at the last 1500 gun show.
    Good luck

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I kind of like lever guns. My first was a Winchester '94 Trapper in 44 Mag. I'v eadded a scout scope to it and AE ghost ring sights. Makes for a nice deer gun now.

I've picked up tow others since then. A Marline '95 Guide Gun in 45/70 and a Winchester '95 in 30/40 Krag. Thinking on a .22 of soem sort, a BLR takedown in .308 and maybe a Mossberg 464 (?) in 30/30. long shopping lsit to handle over time.

Henry makes some nice lever guns too.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I just bought a Marlin 1894c (.357) at Bassmasters in Seymour. They are on sale too along with the 1894ss. Not a 1894c to be had in Bloomington even special order!!

Top Bottom