• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kjonesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Palmyra
    For the money it's hard to beat the Puma model 92 my son has one in 44 magnum with a 24" barrel and it is very accurate with 240 grain bullets but don't go any heavier. I have a Henry Big Boy I hunt with open sights and it handles the heavier bullets well but I'm told if it didn't shoot well it's heavy enough to use as a club. My nephew uses a Marlin and it seems to be the least accurate of the three. The advantage of the Marlin is that it doesn't have to be drilled and tapped to have a scope mounted.

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I think the Marlin 1894 in 44mag will be my next gun. I like the Rossie, but they eject from the top and I will more than likely scope the gun. I am going to use it for deer hunting next year. I agree with an earlier post, Gander has some very high prices on some of their rifles. I was at the Muncie gun show today and there were a few Marlin 1894 44 mag for $549 where Gander has the standard for $579 and the Cowboy model at $800 something.

I suppose I'm curious about the use of a 30-30 in Indiana. What would you use this model for other than target practice?

Thanks

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    Can't go wrong with Winchester or Marlin-may want to check out the Indy gun show at the fairgrounds on Jan. 14,15 and 16-you should be able to buy a good used one at a decent price.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Depends on what you want to do with it and where. Here in Indiana you must use a pistol caliber rifle to hunt deer. For that you can get either a Marlin, Winchester, or one of the Winchester copies. If you want a 30-30 then Marlin, Winchester, and Mossberg make them. You can get a Browning BLR, Savage 99, Sako Finnwolf, or an old Winchester 88 in some of the regular rifle calibers like 308 or 243. Then there are some larger bore rifles in 45-70, 444 Marlin, 450 Marlin, 405 Winchester.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    44_Marlin_1894.jpg

After_1.jpg

Top rifle is an 1894 in 44 mag. I modified it to suit my taste. The last 3 deer season I' cleanly taken venison with it. Pre-season sight in consisted of 2 shots touching at 50 yds., tweaking scope to 1' high, 3 shots total. My season ended at a little before 8, taking a buck at about 100 yds.

The second rifle is one I picked up from Gun Broker. It had be used as a teaching tool by conservation club. The stock is imprinted with their name, firing pin removed and bolt filled with epoxy, all easy fixes. I cut and crowned the barrel, finished length 16 1/4". The mag was shortened but I changed it out to full length, capacity 6 with one in the barrel. Handiest rifle I've ever owned, it's nearly always in the truck.

Check the classifieds, here and pawn shops. In July there was one on here for $150.
    Remember Glenfields are marlins in street clothes. Marlin/Glenfield also made rifles for Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Western Auto, although some are trying to get a little more out of them because of scarcity.

I own 3 30/30's, 2 .44's, 1 .35 Remington, 1 .348 Win.
    Now about the downside of lever guns??? ;)

:@ya:...Duce<><

Last edited:

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I have a 336w Marlin that I got from Wal-mart on close out when they were changing over to no longer selling guns. It is a fantastic weapon. I have actually gone out on training practices with ex-army guys who have AR-15s and have held my own. Granted it does take more to top it off seeing that it only holds a max of 7 rounds to their 30 rd. mags, but I was doing fine moving and loading for the drills we we were doing. So IMHO the 30-30 is a pretty decent personal defense rifle as well as a hunting rifle--just my .02.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have sold every winchester i ever purchased, but have all my marlins. For hunting, and esp. for scoping it is my lever of choice.

vthokie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Definately check out the Henry. Quality is great and resale value should remain stong as well.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I too am lookin for a nice lever gun. I was at Dicks looking at the Marlin 336 in 30-30 and the fit/finish was terrible. The price was right at $350 after rebate but I might save up for a 336SS if the quality is better - I am gonna check it out at bass pro

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I would be interested in some of the downsides of these guns. I have thought the lever guns were always interesting and have toyed with picking one up if I find a great deal sometime. Are there any major points I should be aware of?

I don't think there is much of a downside since the design is very old. The only thing that you might encounter is stiff action which can be smoothed up. Lever guns are fun and they just feel good in your hands.

There are differences between the Winchester models 1873, the 92 and the 94 but they all go bang. I have a Marlin 39A (22LR), a Marlin 336 (30-30), a Winchester 94 Trapper (44 mag) and a Winchester 9422 Trapper (22LR). I just picked up the two trappers on this forum. I used to have a Sears version of the Marlin 336 (J.C. Higgins 30-30) but it got stolen out of my trunk when some wads broke into my garage. I originally picked it up two years ago for under $200 off of GunsAmerica and it was a great gun.

I think the Marlins are better built guns than the Winchesters after 1964 but they are all a hoot to shoot.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I too am lookin for a nice lever gun. I was at Dicks looking at the Marlin 336 in 30-30 and the fit/finish was terrible. The price was right at $350 after rebate but I might save up for a 336SS if the quality is better - I am gonna check it out at bass pro

Look for the older used guns, they are usually nicer if they haven't been beaten up. The 336 I picked up was under $400 a few years ago and it is a nice one.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Don't overlook the Rossi's either. I just saw a Rossi Winchester repro in 44-40 and 44 mag locally. They looked really nice, were priced decently, and have a good rep.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I love my Winchester Trapper in 30-30

Feels great in the hand, quick to the shoulder, and smooth like butter!

Nothing like a Winchester Lever Action to make you proud to be an American!

Vanguard.45

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Winchester fan here. John Wayne and Chuck Connors didn't pack Marlins, Puma's, and Rossi's.

Actually Chuck Conners "packed" a knockoff, the Spanish repro El Tigre. He literally packed it because it was the gun in the scabbard on his horse. He always used at least two Winchesters in the actual action shots, one to use and one for backup.

sb22lr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    If you get a centerfire lever action you should also get a 22 to plink around with. I have a Mossberg 402 Palamino that is fun to shoot and reliable.

Top Bottom