• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    At some point I Have to wonder when virtually every available firearm in the country is sold out. Running some quick math last night, and taking a couple of guesses, I assumed 5 million NICS checks this month. Are there normally even 5 million, at least new, guns in circulation for sale at FFLs? A normal month lately is looking like 2-2.2 millions sold all month.

Not that I agree with it or like it, but I'm seeing the NICS issue fix itself when people don't need the checks because there aren't any guns.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Just like when numerous sheriff’s and police departments around the state announced they were suspending the processing of LTCHs, this NICS failure demonstrates that the 2A is a secondary right. You can only keep and bear arms when a government functionary is willing And able to grant permission.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    could be worse-

used to have fed.4473 & Indiana handgun form with 3 or 5 day wait.

and IN form went to county sheriff of resident with instructions to destroy after 30 days- but NO Penalty for sheriff if not destroyed.
    That created a registry of convenience ........ so maybe current NICS problems are not too bad

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When a check requires more information, the FBI has three business days to make a final determination on the buyer. If a decision can’t be made in that time, a licensed dealer is allowed by law to go ahead and sell the firearm, in a sale referred to by the FBI as a “default proceed.

I just read this. Is it true? If they take more than 3 days to approve of a sale the FFL can sale the firearm?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    When a check requires more information, the FBI has three business days to make a final determination on the buyer. If a decision can’t be made in that time, a licensed dealer is allowed by law to go ahead and sell the firearm, in a sale referred to by the FBI as a “default proceed.

I just read this. Is it true? If they take more than 3 days to approve of a sale the FFL can sale the firearm?

Yes after three business days the sale can be completed if delayed.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

As stated yes it is true, but not all FFLs will proceed with the sale. Some use an overabundance of caution and still will not complete the transaction

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As stated yes it is true, but not all FFLs will proceed with the sale. Some use an overabundance of caution and still will not complete the transaction

Typically big corporate entities like Dicks (soon to not be a problem). Most local mom and pops will sell so long as they dont have other concerns.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes after three business days the sale can be completed if delayed.

Makes you wonder if that is why they are hanging up, etc as reported up thread? No official "delay" so the 3 business day aspect doesn't kick in? I knew the 3 day aspect, but am not sure by law what happens if the govt doesn't even issue a delay on the check? I may have to try and look that up here in a bit.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/mus...ss-days-transferring-firearm-transferee-after

Must a licensee always wait 3 business days before transferring a firearm to a transferee after receiving a “delayed” response?

A licensee may transfer a firearm to a transferee as soon as he or she receives a “proceed” from NICS (assuming that the transaction would be in compliance with State law). However, if the licensee does not receive a final “proceed” or “denied” response from NICS, he or she must wait until 3 business days have elapsed prior to transferring the firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61086/download

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

I would ask for refund and buy elsewhere.........

unless the gun is worth waiting for....

and I am in that group usually because I find used "good deals" on guns guy "have to have".......

then they get "buyer's remorse".

YMMV

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    If the President had any genuine leadership in his soul, he would announce an emergency suspension of the NICS system and an automatic approval of all gun transfers in light of government bureaucracy and incompetence coming between Americans and their god-given and constitutionally protected right to defend themselves and their families in a national crisis.

Instead, I suspect in the next week or two the White House will push out an executive order closing all FFLs, canceling and closing NICS, and criminalizing private transfers for the duration of the "emergency". Because, you know, the farm animals can't be trusted when they're panicky.

Really? Because their whole life they wait for an emergency to "protect" themselves? What's next? If I own more guns than family members I have to give/sell guns to those unprepared? Anyone looting my home for guns not prosecuted??????

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Makes you wonder if that is why they are hanging up, etc as reported up thread? No official "delay" so the 3 business day aspect doesn't kick in? I knew the 3 day aspect, but am not sure by law what happens if the govt doesn't even issue a delay on the check? I may have to try and look that up here in a bit.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/mus...ss-days-transferring-firearm-transferee-after

https://www.atf.gov/file/61086/download

Good question on the hanging up. I don't think I've ever called one in. I have always used the NICS E-Check portal.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Just like when numerous sheriff’s and police departments around the state announced they were suspending the processing of LTCHs, this NICS failure demonstrates that the 2A is a secondary right. You can only keep and bear arms when a government functionary is willing And able to grant permission.

It's my little contribution--I replied to the FB page of my town's PD where they announced they were suspending LTCH fingerprinting,etc., and encouraged them to find a solution so they could restore this right to their citizenry.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Rural King is one that will refuse a sale without a "proceed".
    No other answer will result in a sale.
    Corporate rules.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If the President had any genuine leadership in his soul, he would announce an emergency suspension of the NICS system and an automatic approval of all gun transfers in light of government bureaucracy and incompetence coming between Americans and their god-given and constitutionally protected right to defend themselves and their families in a national crisis.

Instead, I suspect in the next week or two the White House will push out an executive order closing all FFLs, canceling and closing NICS, and criminalizing private transfers for the duration of the "emergency". Because, you know, the farm animals can't be trusted when they're panicky.

I respectfully disagree with the majority of this sentiment!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I stopped by my LGS (Warpath Guns) She said she is getting upto 1.5 hour delays most taking around 50 minutes. She said the NICS system keeps crashing as well. It must be overwhelmed. Besides gun buys some States require it to buy ammo which could lag it even more.

Top Bottom