• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I was in a local shop and the computer check took 20-25 minutes. They tried to call and the estimated wait yime was 55 minutes.

Saturday was my first day with the new "fbi nics ez check", the owner told me all checks were taking 5 minuets, I did 3 checks Saturday, 2 before noon and 1 about 4:30, the first 2 took seconds, and the last took 30! (snorko was in the shop I work at)

Yeah, yesterday ( Saturday) the check was taking quite a while early in the day. By the afternoon, early evening it was back up to normal speed.
    not between 4:30 and 5!, after 15 minuets, I called the 800# and was told by the automated voice "your hold time is less than 55 minuets"

while I was on hold, the web based search came back delayed

I call bs on the batf (bureau of animosity towards firearms!)

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Got a message from my FFL. He got through today and I'm good to pick up my stuff. Will probably do that tomorrow and I'll ask him how it went and how it's going.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    I had a issue this past Tuesday, put me on hold for a few day. First time that had happen. It eventually a got approved. The 2 hour drive and disappointment of not getting my two ingo lowers were a real bummer though!

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I had a issue this past Tuesday, put me on hold for a few day. First time that had happen. It eventually a got approved. The 2 hour drive and disappointment of not getting my two ingo lowers were a real bummer though!

Same exact problem for me today on the same items. I have bought a lot of firearms the last 15 years and always been given the proceed, i do go to a second examiner but within 10 seconds of getting to that point I always get a proceed. I really hope I will not get delayed every time I go to buy something with this new system, the salesman at a shop I stopped into said he had a guy with a UPIN that got delayed with the new system.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This week has been rough...Many second looks and hours...I mean HOURS to get the second examiner to pick up....I have no idea what's going on but I know they were having issues with the new computer background check...I still call people in the old fashioned way..(I know you all are shocked by that admission coming from the geezer...)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    No problems other than the usual headaches caused by the many bugs in the new NICS E-Check system; even the NICS operators we have spoken to are exasperated with it.

It does appear, however, that awhile back they started checking an additional database or resource in the course of running the checks, as we have seen a marked uptick in delays and denials this year - many more than we saw on average last year.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Went to a local shop today and purchased a used P11. Filled my paperwork out, and waited for the shop employee to run the check on the computer. About an hour later I got a delay response. Never had one ever, don't have too common of a name so I attributed it to the new system

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    It does appear, however, that awhile back they started checking an additional database or resource in the course of running the checks, as we have seen a marked uptick in delays and denials this year - many more than we saw on average last year.

Its funny you replied shooter as Bradis is where I tried to buy my lowers today.

I have my IN LTCH, never had so much as a speeding ticket; so no criminal record, and went through some fairly in depth background checks for my job with everything coming back a-OK yet I got a delay on this new NICS system. I really hope that this doesn't become the norm for me as I was reading a UPIN can take up to 6 months to process and receive, although it might not help from what I have been reading.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Its funny you replied shooter as Bradis is where I tried to buy my lowers today.

I have my IN LTCH, never had so much as a speeding ticket; so no criminal record, and went through some fairly in depth background checks for my job with everything coming back a-OK yet I got a delay on this new NICS system.

New NICS system or old, and regardless of your background, getting delayed is always a crap shoot.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I bought a excellent condition used Ruger MK III for my boys about 10 days ago at Hammond Cabela's and it went smooth as silk.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    As said above, the new system is a big PITA. It's a lot harder to navigate and once you fire off the check, it may come back instantly or it may get lost in la la land. Each day seems to be a new issue. In their defense, they are dealing with the issues rather quickly. Although, their issues still lead to customers standing at the counter waiting... sometimes even costing a sale.

This is a perfect example of government "helping."

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

I have my IN LTCH, never had so much as a speeding ticket; so no criminal record, and went through some fairly in depth background checks for my job with everything coming back a-OK yet I got a delay on this new NICS system. I really hope that this doesn't become the norm for me as I was reading a UPIN can take up to 6 months to process and receive, although it might not help from what I have been reading.

I feel your pain.

I also have a LTCH and a job that requires a background check. I have Utah and Arizona permits. My state license requires a Homeland security check.

I get a delay EVERY time....

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I feel your pain.

I also have a LTCH and a job that requires a background check. I have Utah and Arizona permits. My state license requires a Homeland security check.

I get a delay EVERY time....

That sucks I would be frustrated to no end if I got delayed every time , I have never been delayed before today. I even purchased a lever gun from Point Blank in Carmel 3 weeks ago and had zero issues...boggles my mind as why I got delayed today. I am going to fill out the FBI VAF UPIN application next week and send it in, hopefully I won't have any issues after being issued a UPIN....hopefully

Top Bottom