• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nope! I like them because I can easily see my gun in the dark even without my glasses. As far as shooting goes they add no value.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Perhaps I'm in the minority with this.
    I've had night sights on my duty weapons for almost 2 decades. I've found that they have on occasion allowed me to ensure orientation of my sights/weapon when I've been in a dark environment looking into a more lit one as an example. They don't cure all sighting issues in lowlight but do provide me with an option and ability I don't otherwise have. I consider the spending of $100 dollars for something with a 10yr useful life to be a worthwhile purchase in this case.
    But as another has said, to each his or her own.

Stay safe

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've been in several situations on patrol where there was enough ambient light to identify potential targets AND the tritium in my sights made them easier to see. Thankfully I never had to use them for their intended purpose, but I don't see how sights that are easier to see is ever a bad thing. Night sights generally have better dot patterns/sight pictures than standard factory 3 dot sights as well, which makes it easier to pick up a flash sight picture in the day time. I especially like Trijicon HD sights.

But if this expert says that nobody uses sights anyway, maybe I should just knock them off with a punch and sell them on INGO. Might make the gun a little slicker on the draw, too, since I won't have any sights to snag on my holster. Probably switch to ball ammo as well, is there any real proof that hollowpoints are that much better? Plenty of bad guys have fallen to 9mm ball. Any stories of 9mm ball not working in the same shooting where hollowpoints did work?

Do we even have any actual stories of a Hi-Point not working in a gunfight? Believe me, I've seen plenty of them used for what wound up to be fatal shootings. Why am I blowing all of this money on night sights, hot-shot ammo and overpriced hardware when I could be saving big $$?

Because that's the point, isn't it? Saving money? What other rational reason could you have for not giving yourself every possible advantage in a deadly force situation?

I guess potentially being able to actually see your sights in low light conditions is just silly. :rolleyes:

Or maybe I'll just make it up by saving 15% or more on my car insurance by switching to Geico. :):

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My biggest take away from the ACT Low Light class was that a hand-held light was far more important than night sights. Nothing in that class required night sights, including the pitch black shooting and the “shoot house” scenarios. None of it however, could have been done without a light.

That said, I still have night sights on my carry guns. Not because I think I NEED them, but because my preferred sights happen to have tritium vials.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    While I agree with Givens and BBI that night sights have limited use, I still want them for those situations. Likewise, artificial ambient lighting can be dim enough that glowing sights are an asset. I had a night time face-off with a mugger in a parking lot. I can't say what my iron sight picture would have looked like since he ran away, but if it had turned into a 25yd shoot out, my accuracy would have been impaired. As for shooting a home invader while concealed, I don't have family living with me and I don't need a flashlight to ID someone coming my way after the door has been broken down and the burgler alarm is screaming.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    latest

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been in a variety of lighting situations in which I could easily identify a person, but the light was too diffuse for me to see my sights. That included nights with a lot of moonlight, parking lots with mercury discharge lamps, and some fluorescents. I first observed this one night looking at a full moon with a telescope. I could see pretty well without a flashlight, so I took a pistol out to see if I could see black iron sights. I could not see the sights at all. If I don't need to use my light, I'm not going to use my light to shoot (even if I already have it in my hand). Other people may be able to see their sights better in similar lighting situations. I can't, so I'm going to have night sights.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have found a few lighting situations over the years where I recall using the tritium, but I don't remember the events well enough to describe the exact scenarios. I will say that most of the time I have a weaponlight activated and I can see the outline of my sights even without tritium. In most cases I don't do the old "firefly" light technique. Once I take the area, I normally keep it illuminated until it is completely cleared and we move on. I have never blinded myself, but I don't shine my light at blank white walls and stare into it either.

I don't think tritium night sights hurt anything, and every once in a great while they can come in handy. I say get them, and my personal preference is blacked out rears with a bright orange front like the Trijicon HD or Ameriglo Bold sights. With my presbyopia it seems to draw my eye to the front sight. If we are doing a planned entry I will hit the Trijicon HD front sight with a flashlight before going indoors to "charge" the photoluminescent surround. That really makes it quick to pick up at close range.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I think the biggest issue with people saying "if you can't see your stock sights you won't be able to identify if it's a threat or not" is that they probably haven't much, if any time, actually shooting in low light situations.

Living in the country, having acreage and having a range in my backyard has really changed and expanded the way I view night sights. Prime example when out walking my dog here on the farm under moonlight I can make him out 100 yards away under good moonlight. I can't see regular sights 2 feet in from of my face though, It's just the mass of the slide. When shooting at steel after the sun has set, I can see the steel fine but again, just the mass of the slide without night sights. I could go on and on.

6~ years ago I would have been in the "it's nice but not necessary" camp. Today I can't imagine not running them on my carry guns.

Like anything else, people need to actually USE their equipment before deciding what does and doesn't work for them.

Try and put your stock glock sights or that fiber optic front sight (which is pure garbage in low light) on a black piece of steel or a rubber dummy wearing a dark tshirt... good luck. Now trying making a decent followup shot after the muzzle flash has ruined your vision with them. God forbid your carry gun is ported. Those night sights are a blessing.

In the past few years I've also gone from carrying one light to two, one 'tac' light and a smaller utility light on my keyfob. I'm a huge proponent of lights, I also understand the chances of being able to simultaneously deploy a light and handgun while being attacked is going to be low.

The key takeaway here is to use your equipment in the conditions you are planning for ahead of of time so you can can some real world experience. Also, anyone who says "if you can't see your sights you can't identify you target" has spent way too much time online and not enough time in the real world. Sorry to be harsh, but that line is pure and total BS.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My biggest take away from the ACT Low Light class was that a hand-held light was far more important than night sights. Nothing in that class required night sights, including the pitch black shooting and the “shoot house” scenarios. None of it however, could have been done without a light.

That said, I still have night sights on my carry guns. Not because I think I NEED them, but because my preferred sights happen to have tritium vials.

I went thru that class too, just not with you. I ran a Glock 19 with stock sights, and a Glock 26 with night sights. I found that night sights wasn’t necessary, but actually having them made things a heck of a lot easier.

For me, any pistol that is meant for self defense will have night sights.

IMO, any factory sight isn’t that great anyway. It’s always worth replacing the sights. And since you just spent $400+ on the handgun, what’s another $100 for a better set of sights?
    Which also opens up the topic of cheap holsters. You just spent $400+ on a handgun, what’s another $75+ for a good quality holster?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Who's situation and experience was they were given away by the glow of their night sights in a real world situation? Who was in a situation where it was pitch black so they couldn't otherwise be seen, the bad guy was close enough to see it, and they were so silent and dressed in such a way that they were completely invisible otherwise?
    I'd think that forest rangers, conservation officers (game wardens) and others who work in undeveloped areas where there is little to no artificial light. In those scenarios they might often be trying to stay concealed. Not every law officer is a city cop, state police officer or county deputy (police officer).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    From how far away would a few itty bitty teeny tiny glowing dots be visible to others?

I'm going to guess that there'd always be FAR far more to give away a position than 2-3 itty bitty teensy tiny glowing dots that are only on one side (or two, in the case of FAMs) of little bitty pieces of metal stuck onto something that's only a handful of inches long in the first place.

The thought that itty bitty teeny tiny glowing dots would somehow be detrimental because they'd give away position is, IMO, laughable at best and wholly ignorant at worst. It REEKS of excuse-building in favor of someone's reluctance to equip a defensive pistol thusly.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'd think that forest rangers, conservation officers (game wardens) and others who work in undeveloped areas where there is little to no artificial light. In those scenarios they might often be trying to stay concealed. Not every law officer is a city cop, state police officer or county deputy (police officer).

If there is little to no artificial light, how are they observing anything? A humans night vision only carries us so far, and it's not much. As a species, we have used our superior intellect to develop technology to overcome our god given weaknesses. Embrace it.

As has been stated earlier, Joe Citizen probably has little need for night sights, because you probably aren't clearing unfamiliar buildings. Most defensive shootings could probably be shot from the hip, with your eyes closed, with a High Point. We train for the rare situation when we need to shoot outside of arms reach. The farther the threat, the more critical sight alignment becomes. Night sights are a tool that will assist with this.

I posted the thermal picture on the first page, mainly as a joke. But in reality, yes, I rely on night sights. While hunting, I'm carrying a pistol with night sights. If I have to finish that hog at 20 feet, he's to close to really see in the thermal, but to far to make a clean head shot with the pistol, if I can't line up my shot. Even with a pistol light, It will will light up the hog enough for a defensive shot, but doesn't illuminate my sights for a precision shot. Night sights will.

The glow from the sights, is a non issue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll have to see these things in the dark sometime, generally I wait until there's a little light before walking through the woods before hunting. Over the years I've found that you spook less game that way.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

Same here i have found the night sights i have on my 1911 are far superior to the white 3 dot sights on some. They are easier to pick up faster the rear sight has a wider gap, and the glow is just icing on the cake.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I haven't used night sights until I acquired a SIG P365.
    Not long after I got the gun I had a night time intruder in the backyard.
    The "running" possum at 40' illuminated by just some outside lights no flashlight was an easy
    shot with night sights.
    Definitely worth it for felonious possums.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If there is little to no artificial light, how are they observing anything? A humans night vision only carries us so far, and it's not much. As a species, we have used our superior intellect to develop technology to overcome our god given weaknesses. Embrace it.

As has been stated earlier, Joe Citizen probably has little need for night sights, because you probably aren't clearing unfamiliar buildings. Most defensive shootings could probably be shot from the hip, with your eyes closed, with a High Point. We train for the rare situation when we need to shoot outside of arms reach. The farther the threat, the more critical sight alignment becomes. Night sights are a tool that will assist with this.

I posted the thermal picture on the first page, mainly as a joke. But in reality, yes, I rely on night sights. While hunting, I'm carrying a pistol with night sights. If I have to finish that hog at 20 feet, he's to close to really see in the thermal, but to far to make a clean head shot with the pistol, if I can't line up my shot. Even with a pistol light, It will will light up the hog enough for a defensive shot, but doesn't illuminate my sights for a precision shot. Night sights will.

The glow from the sights, is a non issue.
    Interesting. We all have different perspectives based upon our different experiences. One's paradigm doesn't necessarily negate another's different paradigm.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have always installed night sights on my carry guns. Green front sight with a yellow rear sight preferably. As others have said, the OEM Glock sights are not very good, so that is usually the first thing to get replaced. I like night sights combined with a weapon light for low light use.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Interesting. We all have different perspectives based upon our different experiences. One's paradigm doesn't necessarily negate another's different paradigm.

Talk like that won't make you any friends and leads to being banned! What is wrong with you?? INGO is an echo chamber

Top Bottom