• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    she said she will not run for office but will campaign for Trump....

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics...video/playlists/nikki-haley-and-donald-trump/

I'll be interested to see if that comes to fruition. If she told the president of her intent 6 months ago, why in the world would she announce it now? Right of the heels of the Kavanaugh ****show, where he's been framed as a predator, and the GOP as a "boys club," her choosing now to make such an announcement is strange. There may be nothing to it, but conventional wisdom would be to let that whole thing die down first.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    It is not uncommon for administrations to shed people in cycles, and the half-way mark is one point where that happens. In that regard, this is not a big deal.

However, for a POTUS with some regrettable comments and actions in the context of gender equality, Haley was a real bright spot for his administration. Since I don't think Condi is interested, I'm not sure who it will be.

Any dude nominated is going to go through the Kavanaugh Krucible.

Non story really, but surely the media will tie it to the kavanaugh thing.

Ambassador to Germany(Richard Grenell) would be an interesting choice. Not my thought(came from the radio on my drive home) but it would be hard for the left to derail that appointment. He does appear to be qualified.

Nikki Haley did a great job. She will be hard to replace.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is not uncommon for administrations to shed people in cycles, and the half-way mark is one point where that happens. In that regard, this is not a big deal.

However, for a POTUS with some regrettable comments and actions in the context of gender equality, Haley was a real bright spot for his administration. Since I don't think Condi is interested, I'm not sure who it will be.

Any dude nominated is going to go through the Kavanaugh Krucible.
    With the announcement Democreats are already looking for potential accusers.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'll be interested to see if that comes to fruition. If she told the president of her intent 6 months ago, why in the world would she announce it now? Right of the heels of the Kavanaugh ****show, where he's been framed as a predator, and the GOP as a "boys club," her choosing now to make such an announcement is strange. There may be nothing to it, but conventional wisdom would be to let that whole thing die down first.

Well it would be stupid to announce it nine months before you’re actually leaving the post. And if you support the president and Kavanaugh it would be stupid to leave during the middle of the judicial lunacy. Bad optics :dunno:

If she wanted to sabotage Trump she could’ve easily left two weeks ago. Such conspiracy theories Kut

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The only analogy I can think of for someone leaving politics when they are considered such a rising star would be when Mitch Daniels went to Purdue.

Sure, there are differences between the 2 situations, and the people themselves. But, Haley is truly at a high point in her career. The only place to go "up" to would be POTUS, in terms of traditional politics.

Now, if she wants to be president of her alma mater or something with an emotional attachment, sure. I gotta believe she wants to stay in politics, though, so regardless what she says now, I figure she'll start a presidential run at some point. Maybe take a commentator position in the meantime, or do something else to stay in the public eye.

She'll be back.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Because if she had left during the Kavanaugh ****show EVERY news story would be “leaving because Kavanaugh” no matter how far removed from reality that is. They were looking at anything to influence the vote they could find.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    One of the talking heads this morning made some little side comment that Nikki was in heavy debt. Of course the attention span of the morning[STRIKE] news [/STRIKE]is pretty short and it did not involve a Trump scandal so not much else was said.

Nikki strikes me as being to ethical to take any sweetheart deals like so many of our multimillionaire congressmen do to supplement their nominal government salary. Perhaps heading out to public sector to get paid market rate for her talent and skills, pay off her debt and put a little money in the bank.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree, she’ll be back. Secretary of State?

I think she would be more valuable to the party as a senator, she has real leadership skills...something sadly lacking in much of elected government. I think her skills could be especially effective on the legislative agenda side of things...even though I disagree with much of her apparent ideology.

One of the talking heads this morning made some little side comment that Nikki was in heavy debt. Of course the attention span of the morning[STRIKE] news [/STRIKE]is pretty short and it did not involve a Trump scandal so not much else was said.

Nikki strikes me as being to ethical to take any sweetheart deals like so many of our multimillionaire congressmen do to supplement their nominal government salary. Perhaps heading out to public sector to get paid market rate for her talent and skills, pay off her debt and put a little money in the bank.

She has a big house and, reportedly, a big mortgage to go along with it. Her current position pays 180K per year, and I think that is plenty to service a mortgage of 1.5 million dollars or so. The scary thing (to me) is how little 1.5 million dollars gets you in some places these days.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pence/Haley 2024 ?. Depending what she does between now and then, and after a little more research on my part, I might could get on board with that.

I think she'd be foolish to throw in her lot with Pence. Pence is too closely aligned with the Trump administration, and many of those who would potentially vote for Haley, who wouldn't for Trump, will most likely vote against her, if she ran second fiddle to his VP. She needs to craft her own political identity, away from Trump's, and I think that would serve her well.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Good point Mr. K., and you may be right. But, depending on what happens in November and in 2020, and what the economy does between now and 2024, I could see a lot of momentum building up to continue the successful policies (if they remain successful), no matter who runs on the Repub side.

I think she'd be foolish to throw in her lot with Pence. Pence is too closely aligned with the Trump administration, and many of those who would potentially vote for Haley, who wouldn't for Trump, will most likely vote against her, if she ran second fiddle to his VP. She needs to craft her own political identity, away from Trump's, and I think that would serve her well.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I like Nikki a lot, but let's not forget about the state flag debacle.

If the residents of South Carolina wanted to change their flag, it should have been done by referendum. Not a knee jerk reaction by gov't to a terrorist that successfully stirred up racial animosity.

I'm not sure it was an actual knee jerk reaction.

Rather, I think it was a contingency plan waiting for certain conditions to present themselves.

Yeah, I understand that might not have been explicitly stated. I'm just saying that not all reactions that appear spontaneous are actually spontaneous. ;)

(Without re-delving into that, which I think we've covered before, the flag was taken down after a vote of the duly elected legislature.)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... the flag was taken down after a vote of the duly elected legislature...

Yes, the move was championed by their governor, Nikki Haley. A reaction to the terrible church shooting.

Nothing wrong with changing the state flag, if the residents of the state decide to do so. As a reaction to the terrorism, different story.

There are arguments that the mobs who protest and destroy civil war era historic monuments and ect. were fueled by this action.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I like Nikki a lot, but let's not forget about the state flag debacle.

If the residents of South Carolina wanted to change their flag, it should have been done by referendum. Not a knee jerk reaction by gov't to a terrorist that successfully stirred up racial animosity.

...They’ll Never Forgive Nikki Haley For Removing Confederate Flag

Why does there need to be a referendum on something that doesn't involve law, that it would seem (at least to me) that a governor should have complete authority on (i.e. the apprearance of capitol grounds)? You

Edit: and I see the flag was voted down by state legislators, in accordance with law, so that seems to about as legit as anything. If people are that upset about it vote the guys out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom