• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I agree with your sentiment, but want to add a word of caution. I'm not sure about XDs, but an XDm whose trigger is in this sort of bind will discharge if you depress the grip safety. That's a long series of unlikely events, but it *is* possible. Of course, I don't go around fingering the grip safety all the time...but it's not infallible.

That is absolutely true. The purpose of my post was to first echo conclusion of others that a properly functioning holster would have prevented this regardless of the firearm in it. Secondly, to clear up some apparent confusion over when this AD happened then to show how the presence of a real safety would have prevented this particular incident.

While a grip safety would not have helped if he needed to take a full handed grip (which is one benefit of a thumb safety) looking at the incident in hindsight it's clear that his gun wouldn't have discharged if one was present and he had taken advantage of it. Drawing (without the intent to shoot) and holstering with the thumb on the back of the slide (I think we need a tacticool name for this technique) prevents anything that snags the trigger from discharging the weapon.

Paco Bedejo said:
    It's this sort of situation that has me nail-biting in a decision between sticking with my XDm 40 or switching to a Glock 20 10mm. I really like the idea of the 10mm Auto's extra kinetic energy delivered to the target, but I really prefer the XDm platform. I really wish Springfield would make this easy on me :(

I had a G20 for awhile and I probably will again now that I'm reloading. However, it will immediately be fitted with a thumb safety as well as a few ergonomic modifications.

Springfield really should make a XDm10. I think the limiting factor in the popularity of 10mm is the small selection of guns chambered for it. It would be quite easy to do now that they have the XDm45. I've been thinking of attempting a conversion. I think I could do it. The magazines would be the hardest part.

P.S. Please forgive all the parenthetical statement.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Drawing (without the intent to shoot) and holstering with the thumb on the back of the slide (I think we need a tacticool name for this technique) prevents anything that snags the trigger from discharging the weapon.

Something like, "I Little Jack Hornered the XDm back into its holster." :dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thumbled it back into the holster?

Fonzied it? :dunno:

fonz.jpg

:):

Top Bottom