• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    NOTHING to do with Obamacare!
    our kids pediatrician asked at almost every visit. And our kids are 21 and 25.

If I recall correctly, the Pediatrics group was wanting their doctors to start asking this question several years ago. But Obamacare is now requiring the question to be asked under that program also. So both can be true.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    obamacare is affecting everything to do with health care in one way or another. pre-certs for surgery used to be approved over night or even the same day surgery was required , now it has to be compared to federal guidelines to see if what the Dr. wants to do matches what obamacare said the nation as an average has had done.. i see a lot of Dr's retiring and getting away from this ridicuolous way of being treated. a friend of the family has had the same insurance over the course of 35 years , his wife needs to have a same day procedure done and now his carrier is back pedaling about keeping him insured , he can not get a direct answer to out of pocket for the procedure . this insurance fiasco needs to come to an end.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, my doctor has never asked this question. However, I am an old fart with replaced hips and degenerative arthritis, I take a pretty strong pain pill - normally 4 times a day. She asked if they were still doing the job, and I replied that I did have to take an extra one or two when I attended Gun shows or other venues that required me to do quite a bit of walking. Then she started a discussion about how her husband and her were thinking about purchasing some firearms. I replied I would be happy to meet them at my club and let them fire some of my handguns and other firearms. She hasn't taken me up on that invitation yet, but I think she might.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I talked about this subject with my doc earlier this year during my physical. I've known him for 25 years. In my opinion, this guy is literally a genius and I trust him completely. He said NO ONE has asked/told him to collect any gun-related information. He said he doesn't believe any government entity if asking doctors to collect that information. He feels any doctors/clinics/hospitals that DO ask are doing it of their own accord. FWIW, I believe him.

Who's your physician? Is he accepting new patients?

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    THEM
    "Is there a firearm in the house? We're offering free gun locks to keep the children safe"

YOU
    "It's alright, my guns are locked up"

RED FLAG

THEM
    "So, what do you do with your free time?"

YOU
    "I like to go to the range when I can afford it."

RED FLAG

THEM
    "Do you feel safe where you live?"

YOU
    "I have what's necessary to keep my family safe"

RED FLAG

THEM
    "Hunting season has just started, got any plans?"

YOU
    "Just put a new choke on my shotgun, looking forward to it."

RED FLAG

THEM
    "Do you feel that anyone is out to get you?"

YOU
    "Not that I know of, but try as they might I'm ready for 'em!"

RED FLAG

THEM
    "Do you have any AK47's or M16's or other assault rifles?"

YOU
    "I have an AR-15 and the term 'assault rifle' is a misnomer. My rifle is semi-automatic, not full auto."

RED FLAG

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If I recall correctly, the Pediatrics group was wanting their doctors to start asking this question several years ago. But Obamacare is now requiring the question to be asked under that program also. So both can be true.
    Agreed then.

Last edited:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    This is similar to when they started collecting biometric information at work during the annual benefits fair, "We're only creating a database"! Now if you fall outside the "norms" of body mass, weight, etc they charge you extra for your insurance.
    Where I work they are offering a $120 incentive for biometric testing. They say that the company will not receive any of the info, but some guys I work with think that they will use the info as a reason to cancel your insurance or fire you.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    6a00d8341ca1bf53ef01127968f10228a4-pi

IMO, this is a lot like the "lost all my guns in a boating accident" gun forum meme. Folks, if .gov REALLY wanted your guns, they're going to know you have them regardless of what you tell a damn physician that is drowning in ICD-10.

No physician I have ever interacted with has ever asked this question.

My sons' pediatrician asked in the middle of a whole slew of "is your house baby-safe" questions, and before I could furrow my brow and my wife look at my response disapprovingly, said "I just want to make sure there aren't loaded guns laying around where your son can get to them." I told the doc not to worry, my sons wouldn't be finding any loaded guns laying around my house.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...but it doesn't mean they ARE out to get you, either.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Where I work they are offering a $120 incentive for biometric testing. They say that the company will not receive any of the info, but some guys I work with think that they will use the info as a reason to cancel your insurance or fire you.

same where I work. they started collecting info a few years ago and assigned us a number based on your health. if you do not improve your number they are charging you more for your insurance

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    same where I work. they started collecting info a few years ago and assigned us a number based on your health. if you do not improve your number they are charging you more for your insurance

Thats not really a bad thing is it? .. Its just singling out who the real money hogs are gonna be, and charging them more.. Lets face it, the only people who are pissed about "biometrics" are those who dont take care of themselves. They want insurance for the same price as people who dont smoke, drink only occasionally, eat healthy, and exercise at least a little. But they dont want to do ANY of those things.

Im sorry, but if you smoke, drink alot, eat bad food all the time, and dont exercise at all, and you want insurance, it SHOULD cost more. Also, if you take better care of yourself, it should cost less.

usafmora

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    North Vernon
    6a00d8341ca1bf53ef01127968f10228a4-pi

IMO, this is a lot like the "lost all my guns in a boating accident" gun forum meme. Folks, if .gov REALLY wanted your guns, they're going to know you have them regardless of what you tell a damn physician that is drowning in ICD-10.

No physician I have ever interacted with has ever asked this question.

My sons' pediatrician asked in the middle of a whole slew of "is your house baby-safe" questions, and before I could furrow my brow and my wife look at my response disapprovingly, said "I just want to make sure there aren't loaded guns laying around where your son can get to them." I told the doc not to worry, my sons wouldn't be finding any loaded guns laying around my house.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...but it doesn't mean they ARE out to get you, either.

Have you ever been to any VA hospital or any VA outpatince center? Try it you will see!

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I can't flimflam my family guy because he's a gun guy too; says he owns half a store. But if a strange doc asks me I expect I'll lie a little bit. Someone said the law requires them to ask. Does the law require us to answer?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I go to the Fort Wayne VA Hospital for all my health care. Firearms have NEVER been brought up at all except by me when going to the eye Dr. for eye exam, and I brought it up voluntarily.

They do ask me however if I'm depressed at every visit, and I understand why.

Top Bottom