• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    So, I had considered starting to hunt last fall, but when I was doing some research I found that IN does not allow high-powered rifles for hunting.

Why is this? Is it even true? Also, just to get my facts straight, is any bottle necked cartridge considered a high power?

Like I said, new to the subject so if the answers are obvious, please be gentle. :)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    There isn't a fixed definition of 'high-powered' as far as I know.

The IN DNR hunting cartridge restrictions are easily found: http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

"Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches."

For what it's worth I think the maximum length was increased to 1.8" recently.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I hunt with the .358 WSSM, which is bottlenecked and has the muzzle energy of a .30-06.

Is that high-powered enough?

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    Depends what you're hunting. Read the regulations as this is quoted about squirrel hunting from the Indiana Hunting guide "Gray and fox squirrels may be taken with any equipment and ammunition during squirrel hunting season" I assume you could use anything from a .22 to .50 BMG. But, as far as deer hunting goes, there are specific regulations about what caliber you can use in rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's so screwed up it's not even funny.

Rifles must fire a pistol cartridge, and have a minimum caliber of .357mag.
    Pistol platforms can use down to a .243 caliber, with a minimum barrel length of 4"

There are MANY more details, but I'll give you a couple examples of the idiocy.

I have a .30-30 lever action rifle that is illegal for deer hunting, but LEGAL for coyote. Same goes for .223/7.62x39...
    Now it starts getting screwy,
    Even though my .30-30 "rifle" is illegal for deer hunting, I can LEGALLY use my .30-30 Thompson Contender "pistol" with a 16" barrel.
    I can use my Thompson Contender in a pistol platform with my 16" .45-70govt barrel, but the same barrel with a rifle stock is illegal for deer, but legal for coyote, or rabbit, or SQUIRREL...

Is everything crystal clear now?

That's what I thought.

Right now, the Indiana DNR web-site has a link for the general hunting public to offer suggestions for rule changes...

I urge everyone to visit the site and offer your opinions.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Haha! Sounds lime they just want you to use slugs! See I just don't get the reason for the rules. Is it the range, or power, noise maybe? Because obviously a 50 bmg, although hilarious, would be plain crazy for sqirrel, I think a carbine in 9mm could be pretty reasonable for dear, depending on the distance.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    We used to be a slug only state when talking long guns. Recently the laws make it so that you can use the larger pistol cartridges in a rifle for deer hunting, as in anything .357 magnum length up to 1.8". That just applies to the case length. However, you can go for one of the many wildcats out there, such as the .358 Hoosier, .358 WSSM, .35 Short Rem, etc. The .358 WSSM and .358 Hoosier are anything but "low power" and can be used for just about anything in North America, including elk. If you enjoy the AR platform you can also use .458 SOCOM or .450 Bushmaster. Does that make it clear as mud?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look at a 357 or 44 mag rifle. Can be a cheap one as single shots work well. The sabot slugs are 2 bucks each shot. Does not take
    A lot of shots to make it more expensive than a single than Pistol carbine rifle. A Small scope and a 50 dollars box of hunting ammo with an h&r rifle and you have a good setup.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Our laws are pretty screwed up when it comes to regulations for deer hunting, but at the same time, it's a whitetail. Is a 300 win mag, .30-06, some bastard Weatherby mag, really necessary?

357 Max, 44 mag, 460 S&W, 500 S&W, 454, 475, 480 (ha), 450 Bushmaster, 458 Socom are all plenty fine for deer and there's some in that list that will still have plenty of power at 300 yards.

50 Beowulf is kind of overkill, but legal. Hell even 358 Hoosier is overkill really but there's some that just have to have it.

Another option is a Savage muzzleloader if you can find one, with the right load it'll do 300

In short, our regulations make no sense, but it's a whitetail, not an elk or a moose

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, I had considered starting to hunt last fall, but when I was doing some research I found that IN does not allow high-powered rifles for hunting.

Last deer I ate was taken with a 6.5X284 (predation).:D

Out of curiousity, who told you this? Just trying to trace the source.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Last deer I ate was taken with a 6.5X284 (predation).:D

Out of curiousity, who told you this? Just trying to trace the source.

My step-dad. He has been an avid hunter for most of his life. Though recently he has been bow hunting, so he may be somewhat out of touch with the laws.

I didn't look much further into it, as my REM 870 should take down any deer I ever want to shoot.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    Stay tuned...there are some suggestions being submitted to the IDNR rules commission, and one is a to allow additional "rifle" calibers. Things may change, so take that with a grain of salt if you have interest in a new rifle to fit the current regulation. Some of those wildcat rounds, .358 Hoosier, .358 WSSM, and other non-standard calibers, can cost as much as you want to spend...very cool gun options, but may not be necessary if things change. Proposed suggestions, check it out.....

DNR: Got INput for Division of Fish & WIldlife?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My step-dad. He has been an avid hunter for most of his life. Though recently he has been bow hunting, so he may be somewhat out of touch with the laws.

Thanks, 24/7. There's a lot of urban legend talk in the gun shops about how Indiana is "shotgun slug only". Heck, I almost started a fistfight on INGO discussing deer taken with a 6.5X284. Some people just do not believe it after hearing so much misinformation.

Go to the source and read the regs. As the guys say, there's lots of cartridges to use. Software trumps hardware.

Top Bottom