• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    First of all, the petition to add additional calibers has about as much chance as the proverbial snowball in you know where. No way will the state begin to allow specifically named calibers to be added. Just too much political opposition. If you trace the history, it's really nothing to do with ballistics but more to due to politic's.

Secondly, i wish i had the money some of you guys are spending on rifles to hunt deer. Personally, I just don't understand spending around 1k for a rifle just to hunt deer. 358, 458, whatever it takes to have the biggest and baddest. I hope that someday the state allows centerfire rifles above .24 and be done with it. No need for long confusing rules.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just wish they'd add calibers that are tried, tested, and proven effective for the task.
    The .30-30 round has taken countless whitetail for over a hundred years, just not in Indiana.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Wisconsin, one of the biggest deer hunting states in the country opened the entire state to rifle hunting. The state was basically split in half across the middle between rifle to the N and shotgun only (and muzzleloaders and pistols) in the south.

The theory had always been that rifles are so much more dangerous than shotgun slugs because of range. However, the state of PA has done research into the dangers and concluded that shotguns actually have a larger range due to greater chances of ricochet from a heavier, rounder slug. I've read that study. You can find it somewhere on the web, or at least the summary of it.

I believe WI, which has around 700,000 deer hunters in the woods for it's 9 gun day deer season had fewer than normal hunting related firearms accidents than normal and i know they had no fatalities. Could be an oddball year but one would think that the first year of rifles statewide would lead to higher accidents if in fact rifles are more dangerous.

They aren't.

In WI the approved calibers are any center fire above .22 caliber. So .223 and up basically. Also no FMG, etc. Must be soft point or the like. Got my first rifle deer in 50yrs with a soft point 6.5x55mm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Thanks, 24/7. There's a lot of urban legend talk in the gun shops about how Indiana is "shotgun slug only". Heck, I almost started a fistfight on INGO discussing deer taken with a 6.5X284. Some people just do not believe it after hearing so much misinformation.

Go to the source and read the regs. As the guys say, there's lots of cartridges to use. Software trumps hardware.

haha, well from the few recent post of yours on other threads, I can't imagine YOU getting fired up about an INGO discussion ;). That being said, I agree: a lot of people just go off of hear-say and never do the research themselves.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    First of all, the petition to add additional calibers has about as much chance as the proverbial snowball in you know where. No way will the state begin to allow specifically named calibers to be added. Just too much political opposition. If you trace the history, it's really nothing to do with ballistics but more to due to politic's.

Secondly, i wish i had the money some of you guys are spending on rifles to hunt deer. Personally, I just don't understand spending around 1k for a rifle just to hunt deer. 358, 458, whatever it takes to have the biggest and baddest. I hope that someday the state allows centerfire rifles above .24 and be done with it. No need for long confusing rules.
    There are some people around here that I dont want to be in the same woods with when they are tossing deer slugs. I sure the hell dont want those same clowns firing 30-06,.308,7.62x39,8mm, etc. around, toward or even near my property. Its not exactly mountainous or hilly around here you. FLAT PRAIRIELAND that has nothing but gravity to stop/slow down a projectile.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    There are some people around here that I dont want to be in the same woods with when they are tossing deer slugs. I sure the hell dont want those same clowns firing 30-06,.308,7.62x39,8mm, etc. around, toward or even near my property. Its not exactly mountainous or hilly around here you. FLAT PRAIRIELAND that has nothing but gravity to stop/slow down a projectile.

Excellent point. I really hadn't considered that, but I have to agree with you. That's a big part of why I am considering bow only. Much shorter flight path.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

And Wisconsin is even more flat...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Trying heading south sometime....Us folks on the River can not figure out why we have to follow the same regs you Canadians do up North...In Perry county where I hunt it's fun to sit on a bluff and look NORTH at Kentucky (a funky bend in the river allows this) from about 1500 feet above the vast expanse of flatland where they (Kentuckians) CAN hunt with hi powered rifles and strangely enough...Manage to do so without killing their neighbors....

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    And Texas even more flat, and Colorado is even flatter, and . . . . so on and so on.

Ok...I know you don't have a magic crystal ball, but almost every year they make changes to what we can legally take deer with. I am mostly satisfied with my 44mag lever guns, but was thinking of getting a bolt action 44 mag and putting a scope on it. Here is the million dollar question...What is your thoughts, again with all the changes, what do you think, if I hold off on buying another rifle and just wait a year, or 2, and maybe they will make my Rem 700 30-06 legal. It already has a Leupold 3x9x40, sited in and plenty of ammo. Will I be waiting in vain? Or would I be better off buy a new rifle?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    And Texas even more flat, and Colorado is even flatter, and . . . . so on and so on.
    Population density. Large areas where there is nothing or nobody around in TX and CO. You do know that Colorado has mountains, right? Hardly flat.

Im well aware southern IN is not flat, neither is southern IL which is where i use to hunt alot. Unless both states split the rifle vs. shotgun/1.8" rifle shell rule at say I70 or more like I64...they arent gonna pass an ulimited rifle use law for hunting in either of the 2. We should be glad we have what we do have ! Not saying it is wrong to lobby for more.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Population density. Large areas where there is nothing or nobody around in TX and CO. You do know that Colorado has mountains, right? Hardly flat.

Im well aware southern IN is not flat, neither is southern IL which is where i use to hunt alot. Unless both states split the rifle vs. shotgun/1.8" rifle shell rule at say I70 or more like I64...they arent gonna pass an ulimited rifle use law for hunting in either of the 2. We should be glad we have what we do have ! Not saying it is wrong to lobby for more.

East Texas is as or more densely populated than Indiana and about as flat in many areas.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I'd rather worry about the difference between cover and concealment than whether I'm keeping DNR happy with what chambering I'm carrying afield

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I was also gonna get a rifle in 44mag but never did. Instead i just went with a 12g magnum with rifled barrel. I've grown up using a 20gauge 2 3/4 and never had a problem just upgraded to get a bit more range. But only reason i went with a shotgun was were i go hunting there isn't need for anything more then that.

Top Bottom